Help .... Frozen hydraulic pivot pin

/ Help .... Frozen hydraulic pivot pin #21  
An exothermic lance will do it.

IMG_3640.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

/ Help .... Frozen hydraulic pivot pin
OK I get it. As long as you can get the cap end free, could you rebuild the cylinder without removing the rod end from the machine?
No, I have a guy that rebuilds cylinders for me. That's one thing I leave to the pro's.

/ Help .... Frozen hydraulic pivot pin #23  
How about drilling the pin start as close to center with a small bit,
drill in a couple of inches, then just start up sizing drill bits.
If need be go up to an 1 inch then try to drive it out.
Keep soaking it with penetrating oil while drilling the vibrations and time are likely to loosen it.

/ Help .... Frozen hydraulic pivot pin #24  
I could not see if the jack had a small bolt
or piece of metal the same size as the pin
I would have applied pressure this way and
applied wd40 or what ever and then hit it with
a 10 lb sledge hammer a few times its more
than likely to be rusted very hard to remove

willy

/ Help .... Frozen hydraulic pivot pin #25  
Seen a couple stuck pins in my day...
On your hydraulic press jig there which looks really nice by the way...
Most all hydraulic cylinders have from a little to a lot of side to side clearance
on the shaft. if you take out all of that clearance then put as much pressure on the
pin that you are comfortble with then with one really good hard smack with a 12 pound
sledge it should break it loose. Take as much time as needed to get into the perfect position to swing.
It is a whole lot of preparation for one hit but it is worth it.
It would be much better if you could
do it without the hydraulic which is gonna cushion some...A thick steel plate against a concrete wall
or similar with a piece of thick walled pipe barely larger than the pin tacked onto it then find the biggest guy you know that hand splits wood to do the swinging.
Also take into account what may or may not sproing when it gives that tiny little bit with that much pressure on it.
gary in ohio
Happy New Year All

/ Help .... Frozen hydraulic pivot pin #26  
If you got movement it should come out. Last one I did was on a hydro axe. A pin had fell out on the bottom. He cut a large tree and was driving with it to lay it down. Rode over a stump and when it shifted it snapped top of boom off. They had worked on it a week or so before calling me.

/ Help .... Frozen hydraulic pivot pin #27  
I cannot believe the bracket and Jack didn't do it. Drilling your way up until the last bit will collapse sounds good. Welding something on the end so you can try to rotate it might help.

/ Help .... Frozen hydraulic pivot pin #28  
Popular Science Magazine did a review on penetrating oils a couple of decades ago. Since they I have used their winning choice successfully many times. Make a 50/50 mix of Acetone and Automatic Transmission Fluid. Shake the mixture in a squeeze bottle and apply immediately after shaking, before the acetone comes out of suspension. It's magic.

/ Help .... Frozen hydraulic pivot pin #29  
Popular Science Magazine did a review on penetrating oils a couple of decades ago. Since they I have used their winning choice successfully many times. Make a 50/50 mix of Acetone and Automatic Transmission Fluid. Shake the mixture in a squeeze bottle and apply immediately after shaking, before the acetone comes out of suspension. It's magic.
'decades ago' might be considered old news. There are new products. Suggest checking out some reviews such as