Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,371  
2-3' of heavy wet snow around an installed generator ... do most people think to shovel them clear in case they start?

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#5,372  
Wouldn't hurt to get the exercise (meaning you ;)).

Many whole-house enclosed systems should be designed to tolerate that situation to an extent, as many people treat that product as Buy and Forget - just ask grs....

Reasons I'd do it:

Air intake. I've seen skidoos overheat in deep snow.

General fast access. Check/add oil, boost or replace battery....

When the snow melts..... does water move sideways in ways it normally wouldn't....

Loose powder might be one thing, but if Murph throws an inch or so of freezing rain on top...... more gooder fun (n).

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,373  
Going into my 2nd winter with my set up that includes it's own building is working out perfectly.
20210131_151816.jpg

I've finally landed on my "perfect" backup power solution after several prior projects that basically led me to this.
I occasionally have to shovel the entry door on the back, but long overhangs have done the trick. As you can see the big overhead door is directly on the driveway.
20201008_155306.jpg

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,374  
Did you pipe your exhaust to the outside? Nice setup.

and yes, shovel the intake areas especially on generators, even the rear alternator intake, and keep the vent on propane regulator clear. I have had to replace engines on generators that run while covered in snow. The exhaust side tend to melt off.

#5,375  
Going into my 2nd winter with my set up that includes it's own building is working out perfectly. View attachment 728087
I've finally landed on my "perfect" backup power solution after several prior projects that basically led me to this.
I occasionally have to shovel the entry door on the back, but long overhangs have done the trick. As you can see the big overhead door is directly on the driveway.
If we ever did a Generator wall-calendar, that pic would be a top contender for January (y)

Unless one lives in AZ, deep overhangs are pretty useful, but sometimes not done $-wise..... even @ pre-Covid pricing....

Rgds, D.

#5,376  
I have had to replace engines on generators that run while covered in snow. The exhaust side tend to melt off.
If snow-country folk only ever read one thing on this thread.... that should be it.

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,378  
how many hours on it? exhaust looks a bit rough for how nice the machine itself is

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,380  
it's a thing of beauty

probably already incorporated but I'd put a screen or baffle in that exhaust to keep critters from crawling in.
Mud wasps seem to love generators.

only three inches of snow here today, I'll go shake the cover and get it off before it melts and freezes