TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #1  

saxon11

Bronze Member
Tractor
TYM T474
I'm buying a new tractor and it's between the TYM T474 ($35k new) and John Deere 4044 ($52k new). They are similar in specs, but about $17k price difference. Obviously JD has better brand, more dealers, and sounds like when I talk to folks, a better tractor.

I'm trying to warrant spending significantly more considering this is my 1st tractor for my 10 acre piece of property. I'll be using it to do some gardening, landscaping, snow removal, and give rides to kids. When things break, I'd like to figure out easily how to fix (ideally more reliable the better..)

Opinions welcome, thank you

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #2  
A very clear post.

You are considering tractors with enough weight for ten acres. Enough weight helps keep neophyte tractor operators SAFE.

John Deere 4044M​

Dimensions
Wheelbase:73 inches
185 cm
Length:130.6 inches
331 cm
Height (ROPS):100.2 inches
254 cm
Height (cab):97.4 inches
247 cm
Weight:3770 lbs
1710 kg
Clearance (front axle):13.8 inches
35 cm
Front tread:53.6 inches
136 cm
Rear tread:

TYM T474​

Dimensions
Wheelbase:68.9 inches
175 cm
ROPS Length:131 inches
332 cm
Cab Length:133 inches
337 cm
ROPS Width:54.5 inches
138 cm
Cab Width:59 inches
149 cm
Height (ROPS):94.4 inches
239 cm
Height (cab):92.5 inches
234 cm
ROPS Weight:3230 lbs
1465 kg
Cab Weight:3605 lbs
1635 kg
Ground clearance:12.8 inches
32 cm

This will be my 1st tractor. I have a 10 acre property.

First off, I agree with BOTH posts #4 and #5, following.
Each of us value money differently.

Consider this:

Brand? Models to look at or avoid? Buy new or used?

The design of the Three Point Hitch tractor has been marketed in the USA since 1939 -- 83 years in 2022.

The basic design is generic.

Kubota and Deere have most of the market through 6,000 pound bare weight tractors.

The up and coming tractor brands are Korean: Kioti, LS and Branson. There are other Korean brands. You have to critically assess dealer stability while shopping minor brands.

Korean manufacturing labor is paid 50% of what Deere pays its union work force. Japanese manufacturing labor is paid 70% of what Deere pays its union work force. Labor costs strongly influence tractor prices.

We have the following brands within an hour of us.
  • Kubota
  • LS
  • TYM
  • KIOTI
  • Massey Ferguson
  • John Deere
I know that a lot depends on the dealer and their willingness to help, but should I stay away from any of these brands?

A quality dealer, reasonably close, available for coaching, is important for tractor neophytes. Most new tractors are delivered with a glitch or two requiring correction. My Kubota dealer is six miles away. I feel my local dealer continues to add value to my equipment after nine years. Dealer proximity is less important for those experienced with tractors and qualified to perform their own maintenance.

Start with the nearest dealer and work out. Transporting a tractor for service is expensive and inconvenient, whether you trailer it or the dealer trailers it.

CREDIT: 'FELIXEDO'

"It has been touched on a couple of times, but not directly as a buying factor.

Every major make has a machine that will do the job(s) you want. Check out your nearby dealers, and go with one you have confidence in.

A great machine with no support nearby is a hassle to repair and maintain.

And a good machine can't make a lousy dealer into a good dealer."

Last edited:
   / TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #3  
Whatever you decide on, expect to wait months for it unless some dealer has one in stock (which is doubtful).

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #4  
Have you driven, operated either of them? I personally just went through the process to decide on a new tractor, moving from my MX5800 and ultimately deciding on a new M7060 Cab. Everyone talks about "value" and how the lower cost options give you more for your money via straight specs. And while they are right to a point, it misses for me a big factor and that is fit and finish as well as what I am going to call responsiveness.

I looked at all of the major and many minor brands, including TYM. I ruled out TYM simply due to the placement of the hydraulic controls in the cab, so I can't say I looked at it much closer than that. I was nearly convinced of getting a new Kioti 7320 cab and had the opportunity to buy one that was on the lot. I had looked at them and even drove them multiple times and on my final inspection it was the little things that really made me go back to Kubota. Hydraulic lines were routed outside the loader frame where the Kubota was inside the frame offering more protection. The window trim on the Kioti just looked and felt cheap like it wouldn't hold up, the window knobs felt cheap. I may have been able to live with all of that for the savings, but more critically, I didn't feel I had the loader control I had on my old Kubota or the new one. I couldn't lift and curl at the same time with any control it seemed and the speed of lifting was noticeably slower on the Kioti. I felt like I was sitting there forever waiting for it to rise to full height. It also didn't have protection in places some of the other tractors had. We want to look at the capacities all of the time, but we miss many times the actual "feel" of some of these functions. Capacity is important but if you are going to be maxing out capacity on a regular basis you need to move up a tractor size. Operating feel is much important for me assuming all else is reasonably equal (outside of just price)

I would strongly encourage looking at some of the more detailed aspects. It's these things you don't full appreciate until later. If you have never owned a bigger tractor, you may not know the difference, but in my case, there were some clear reasons the other tractors were cheaper. That's not a bad thing, just make sure you are making a truly informed decision.

The Deere M series are very nice. I haven't had any luck dealing with my local Deere dealer so I have went Kubota, but there are a lot of good tractors out there today, but "value" doesn't tell the whole story a lot of time unless you are solely focused on the cost.

Last edited:
   / TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #5  
Well as an owner of a Cab T474HST, I'm totally satisfied with my purchase since July 1 2020. I have almost 190h on mine now, and I use it for heavy snow removal. I service it myself, I haven't needed much for OEM parts just yet! Just serviced fluids and filters after the manual, it is up to you what you value JD's resale value/dealer representation or 17k more in your pocket. it all depends on your localities and your own skills mechanically. The thing the T474 has going for it, it is probably IF not the only one in it's chassis size that uses a mechanical injection IDI for a Tier 4 engine? I have yet had a regen done. But I run it at 2k rpm and up to PTO speed at 2400 when working it.
271077954_10158475562020983_2348743580849733744_n.jpg

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #6  
I bought a new TYM 233 in '06. Good little tractor that was very capable. It was a little rough around the edges and it didn't like cold weather starting, but I don't regret purchasing it. My brother owns it now and he leaves it on our family farm.

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M
Well as an owner of a Cab T474HST, I'm totally satisfied with my purchase since July 1 2020. I have almost 190h on mine now, and I use it for heavy snow removal. I service it myself, I haven't needed much for OEM parts just yet! Just serviced fluids and filters after the manual, it is up to you what you value JD's resale value/dealer representation or 17k more in your pocket. it all depends on your localities and your own skills mechanically. The thing the T474 has going for it, it is probably IF not the only one in it's chassis size that uses a mechanical injection IDI for a Tier 4 engine? I have yet had a regen done. But I run it at 2k rpm and up to PTO speed at 2400 when working it.View attachment 728245
I see you added those chains on for winter. easy to do? Hard to tell, but do you have the Industrial or Ag tires under those chains? Also, do you suggest getting ad-on implements from the dealer or did you find them elsewhere. I'm looking to add mower, planter/cultivator, and snow blower.

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #9  
Whatever you decide on, expect to wait months for it unless some dealer has one in stock (which is doubtful).
You are so Mr.Positive all of the time 🤢 To then OP good luck on whatever you buy, both are nice tractors.

Last edited:
   / TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #10  
I have 8 acres and this Yanmar YT235C has
all the power I need. Great tractor.
Have you looked at the LS tractors???
another well built machine Yanmar &
LS tractors have nice warranties.
You need to test drive the different tractors
so you can tell exactly what you like as
we can't tell you what to buy as we are not
in your shoes. Have read that Kubota and
John Deere equipment from other equipment