Get A SubSoiler Maybe For A 50 Foot Trench?

/ Get A SubSoiler Maybe For A 50 Foot Trench?
You don't need to open a trench to plant shrubs.

Multiple passes side by side and deeper each pass will loosen the soil. The tip of the subsoiler will usually pull itself deeper as you move forward, if you let it. At least mine does. I have two interchangeable tips, a small chisel and a wider 'potato' plow. Between the two, I can loosen 8-10" wide and several inches deep in just a few passes, even in hard, rocky clay.

Once loosened, you just use a shovel or spade tip to open a small slot, set the plant and move on. They do this with thousands of trees at a time when planting forest areas.

If OP's shrubs have a larger rootball that require a bigger hole, the loosened soil will be much easier to dig out.
I think this is what I am envisioning doing.
I figured that multiple passes to loosen the dirt and get some depth would aid in digging 15 holes. I do not yet know how large the holes will need to be as I do not have the shrubs yet.
Just planning ahead and as I can see other potential uses for the subsoiler I thought this might be a good exercise in learning how to work it.

I would likely use one of my 3E series tractors.

I do appreciate the info and advice.

OP Listed machines are the JD 756 being 20HP - should have a cat 1 3PT, and 585 being a large garden tractor with cat 0 3PT - so that northern tool unit should match OK. TSC has a beefier one for $350 as a step up.

Agree a tiller will work to get the top 6-8", then you could create a trench, then use the tiller to go deeper - just depends on the size of trees/shrubs root ball you are planting. For a 5 gallon size probably 14-20" deep.
My "arsenal" has grown since I did my profile!
I've added a 3032E and a 3038E, I have a 4 foot tiller also but from experience with it getting past 6 inches will take some work.

/ Get A SubSoiler Maybe For A 50 Foot Trench? #13  
With tractors in the 30+HP range I think a subsoiler will work for your needs & a good investment if you have other uses for it (as you mentioned). The only think on the lower end units is most of them don't offer any shear bolt protection... so with 30+HP if you hit / catch it on something it is easier to bend or break something. So just be aware of that... The ones with shear bolt protection are not that much more if you are going to use this for multiple tasks... We have one with it from EA & in New England it has caught it share of rocks...

With tractors in the 30+HP range I think a subsoiler will work for your needs & a good investment if you have other uses for it (as you mentioned). The only think on the lower end units is most of them don't offer any shear bolt protection... so with 30+HP if you hit / catch it on something it is easier to bend or break something. So just be aware of that... The ones with shear bolt protection are not that much more if you are going to use this for multiple tasks... We have one with it from EA & in New England it has caught it share of rocks...
Thank you, very good to know.

/ Get A SubSoiler Maybe For A 50 Foot Trench? #16  
I have an area I am going to plant a hedge row. It is about 50 feet long so I think it will be about 15 plants/shrubs.
I was thinking about using a subsoiler to dig out a basic trench to help in planting rather than digging 15 holes in relatively tough ground.
Does this sound like a good use or would there be something else to use that is not a large expense?

I could see this getting a lot of use as a friend does water and conduit runs for things like pump houses in pastures.

If I buy new what is a good brand? What to look for?
I have used "middle buster" and "Mold Board" single bottom plows in heavy clay soil to dig shallow (12" give or take) trenches for laying water and power lines in the ground. They dig a nice enough trench but dirt clods are varied and some fall back in the trench so that when you lay the lines you have to manually move them out of the way...no biggie, just making note of it. When finished a 3 pt blade angled to suit the occasion to push the dirt back over the trench and then roll over it with the tractor tires to pack it. With what you are doing just put it back manually. Should work for you.

Subsoilers dig thin trenches, the one I have is designed for minimum surface disturbance and the tines are 9" apart making a 3/4" give or take slit in the soil up to 12" deep. I don't see them doing your hole digging to plant something.

/ Get A SubSoiler Maybe For A 50 Foot Trench? #17  
I have an area I am going to plant a hedge row. It is about 50 feet long so I think it will be about 15 plants/shrubs.
I was thinking about using a subsoiler to dig out a basic trench to help in planting rather than digging 15 holes in relatively tough ground.
Does this sound like a good use or would there be something else to use that is not a large expense?

I could see this getting a lot of use as a friend does water and conduit runs for things like pump houses in pastures.

If I buy new what is a good brand? What to look for?
For only 50’ I would hire a couple of high school boys and pay them $50 each.

I have used "middle buster" and "Mold Board" single bottom plows in heavy clay soil to dig shallow (12" give or take) trenches for laying water and power lines in the ground. They dig a nice enough trench but dirt clods are varied and some fall back in the trench so that when you lay the lines you have to manually move them out of the way...no biggie, just making note of it. When finished a 3 pt blade angled to suit the occasion to push the dirt back over the trench and then roll over it with the tractor tires to pack it. With what you are doing just put it back manually. Should work for you.

Subsoilers dig thin trenches, the one I have is designed for minimum surface disturbance and the tines are 9" apart making a 3/4" give or take slit in the soil up to 12" deep. I don't see them doing your hole digging to plant something.
So should I be looking for something different? My intention would be to use it for basic trenching for electrical and water pipes among other things.
I know I'll have to shovel out but that is ok. Could be a simpler solution than renting trenchers.
I have a box blade and a rear grader blade so covered there.
Thanks for the info.

For only 50’ I would hire a couple of high school boys and pay them $50 each.
But where is the fun in that?! Always look for excuses for another piece of equipment!

/ Get A SubSoiler Maybe For A 50 Foot Trench? #20  
Last spring I planted over 60 large shrubs around the property. A phd with a 12" auger did the job really well. We have plenty of rocks here in central CT but going slow made it an easy process. Sure I encountered some big potatoes I couldn't get by so the hole was just moved a bit. Some of the plant ball sizes were such that I had to did adjacent holes and connect / clean them up with a shovel.
Without the phd it would have been a nonstarter for me.