Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #61  
And you’d whine even louder if those subsidies didn’t exist.
Your milk, food, gas and quite a few hundred other items you need in your gated community would cost more.

46 billion isn’t even a rounding error in the American fiscal budget
Agreed. Should have read down before I posted my reply.

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #62  
   / Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #63  
... We as a society wouldn't want to live in this Country without farm subsidies. Our individual food costs would quadruple. That cost increase would cost the individual taxpayer twice as much as it costs that taxpayer to subsidize.
Could we apply that model to health care too?

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #64  
That's crazy talk.

Current food prices + taxes to pay for subsidies is less than what we would pay in a free market.
Current health prices + taxes to pay for subsidies is more than we would pay in a free market.

See how that works?

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #65  
That's crazy talk.

Current food prices + taxes to pay for subsidies is less than what we would pay in a free market.
Current health prices + taxes to pay for subsidies is more than we would pay in a free market.

See how that works?
Glad I looked down to this post before replying. You nailed it. :)

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #66  
If I did my math right, it's $135 per person in our population. So for you and your wife, farm subsidies cost you $270 last year. How much money did you spend on food last year? Now multiply that by, going low here intentionally, two. Should more likely be multiplied by four. But my point can be made using a smaller number. :)
It's still a 40% benefit to the farmers bottom line. I don't see the gubment supplementing my income at all...

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #67  
Just got a rate increase today from BC / BS... for me and wifey, our health insurance is now a hefty $3,091.38 PER MONTH. I'd be thrilled if Uncle Sam would pay 40% of that.

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #68  
It's still a 40% benefit to the farmers bottom line. I don't see the gubment supplementing my income at all...
Not sure what percentage, but a LOT of that money is for programs such as CRP. I have 70 acres in CRP. Doing that decreased my bottom line. But it removed potential grain from the market. Which increases demand and holds the grain price above the guarantied price so it isn't subsidized. So price is stabilized. This helps stabilize food prices. This supplements your income. And you didn't even know it. You're welcome.

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #69  
That's crazy talk.

See how that works?
Uh - think that one through.

You said Current food prices + taxes to pay for subsidies is less than what we would pay in a free market.

A better description would be:

Current food prices after 40% subsidy to the producers and the taxes to pay for this, are less cost to the customer than free market food prices. Let that sink in. After.

Then-current health cost to the individual after government paid some of the cost to the producer and after the individual pays increased taxes to cover this, similar to the extra taxes he now pays for the farm subsidy, might help get health care cost to the individual down closer to what the other developed nations' citizens pay for health care. We're down in what - 30th rank? in quality of care. And far above those comparable nations in cost.

It works for food and every American benefits. Farm subsidies and price supports have become the American way of life. Seems to me that examining if this model would work for health care, might be a net positive for all Americans. One thing it would help, is the issue of medical crises causing something like half of all personal bankruptcies. Lessening those would be an advantage to the merchants and lenders who get stiffed as well as the individual.

This is something to think about, not a prescription or 'should be'. Maybe there are better ways to bring the quality of health care up and the costs down, to at least the average of comparable nations. Any ideas?

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #70  
Uh - think that one through.

You said Current food prices + taxes to pay for subsidies is less than what we would pay in a free market.

A better description would be:

Current food prices after 40% subsidy to the producers and the taxes to pay for this, are less cost to the customer than free market food prices. Let that sink in. After.

Then-current health cost to the individual after government paid some of the cost to the producer and after the individual pays increased taxes to cover this, similar to the extra taxes he now pays for the farm subsidy, might help get health care cost to the individual down closer to what the other developed nations' citizens pay for health care. We're down in what - 30th rank? in quality of care. And far above those comparable nations in cost.

It works for food and every American benefits. Farm subsidies and price supports have become the American way of life. Seems to me that examining if this model would work for health care, might be a net positive for all Americans. One thing it would help, is the issue of medical crises causing something like half of all personal bankruptcies. Lessening those would be an advantage to the merchants and lenders who get stiffed as well as the individual.

This is something to think about, not a prescription or 'should be'. Maybe there are better ways to bring the quality of health care up and the costs down, to at least the average of comparable nations. Any ideas?
You deployed a very common tactic in discussion today. Change the subject. Clever...... :rolleyes: