Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #144,361  
Good Morning!!!! 50F @ 7:45AM. Sunny. High 63F. Winds light and variable.

Thanks for the link, Drew, I got my four on order. I wasn't exactly pleased with the security involved in doing so, made me wonder who could order the kits. So out of curiosity, I tried ordering some for a friend, and guess what? No problem at all. Only catch is they'll only send one lot to any address one time a month, so I sent them an email letting them know to keep an eye on their mailbox. Now get ready for the Post Office to start complaining about the extra workload. :oops:

I guess that's why they call 'em White Tails, eh Billy?

The Bastrop fire was in the news this morning, Don. Not big by California standards, but evacuating a couple hundred people is still pretty bad. If the winds do shift 180°, it'll blow the fire back into the burn scar where the fuels have already been consumed, so will help firefighters put it out. The same liability concerns apply when firefighters out here light back fires, and the winds change unexpectedly and they have the opposite effect. There's a very good chance that the portion of the Camp Fire that reached my place was actually a back fire that got out of control, but trying to prove it is pretty much impossible. But if I light a burn pile and it gets away from me, they'll fine me for the cost of putting it out, and the value of anything else that burns, too.

What do camels eat, Ken? Can't be much hay and alfalfa out there in the desert...

United Airlines has left me stranded in a few airports with no notice, either, Drew. After too many times, I quit using them. Haven't been on an airplane since I retired 12 years ago, and don't miss it one bit, especially in these times. Hope your train ride goes off without a hitch (no pun intended).;)

Glad to hear there've been no big snow problems for the GMers.

I've been able to find online exploded parts diagrams for all my vehicles, except for this Ford. All the sites I did find want your VIN, then it'll give you a list of parts that fit. But a list doesn't show where the part goes, and if you don't know the name of the part to start with, there's no telling if it's the right one. So yesterday I called the local NAPA parts guys I usually go to, and he thought he had the seals, and the tool to remove the axle nut, too. He wasn't sure if the outer cap was closed off by an o-ring or a lip seal, though, so I pulled one side apart and it was an o-ring. Called back and said he didn't have the Motorcraft version, but he did have a big selection of o-rings and could probably find a match.

Had to move the van out of the way to get a motorcycle out of the garage, and it picked that moment to not start. Sheesh, how long have I been waiting for this? Swapped out the computer brain, and it still wouldn't start, so hooked up a test light to a fuel injector lead and found it wouldn't flash. Tried another injector and got a flash and a stumble, then cranked it again and it started but ran rough because of the missing injector. Reinstalled the injector lead and it ran fine. So whatever the problem is has something to do with the injectors not firing when it tries to start.

Rolled the van out of the way, rolled out the motorcycle and got it started, just to make sure, then put some clean clothes on and my riding gear. Came back out to leave only to find a slow drip of fuel coming from one of the carbs. That's not unusual for a bike that's been sitting, and it was a slow drip, so I left anyway.

Got to the NAPA store, and the guy I'd been talking to had gone to lunch. Had to start all over with another clerk, and he found two seals that might do the job. He had two of the sixty-six dollar one, but only one of the twelve dollar one. But told me that another of their stores across town had one. He was also able to match up the o-ring with a pair he had on hand, and at three bux each it was a deal compared to the twenty-five it would cost to ship the real McCoy out. Then he found the tool where the other guy had stashed it.

Came back out to the bike to find another little puddle, so dropped by the motorcycle dealer to get a couple float bowl seals, just in case. It was still leaking when I got home. Dropped the bowl on the first one and the float needle came out with it. No wonder it was leaking. Had to take the whole carb off to put it all back together, but that was only a five minute fix. No problems replacing the other side, as it should be.

Used the new tool to remove the hub off the truck, pried the old seal out and it looks like the expensive seal is the correct one. No surprise there, but at least I'm one step closer to completing the brake job. Now just need FedEx to come through with the pair of calipers.

Wow, Hump Day already. Again.

/ Good morning!!!! #144,362  
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety shared statistics with CNN from a University of Michigan study indicating a 500% increase in injury crashes for truck drivers younger than 21 compared to truck drivers overall.

new Federal apprentice program just started for big rig drivers crossing state lines age 18 and up.
Can't find enough drivers apparently.
Except for some natural talent, no way someone who has almost no experience on the road can drive one of those big rigs carefully enough.
I actually did at age 18, hauling a tri-axle boom sod truck, and I never should have. Best I can say is I never hit anything, driving through eastern PA and NJ

maybe if we're lucky they won't let Junior drive a load of hazmats...

/ Good morning!!!! #144,365  
Good morning to all! Low was 25°, going up to 47° today, sunny. Tomorrow a cold front will come across, limiting the high to 39° and bringing a slight chance of light snow. Another front on Friday night will limit the temps on Saturday to only 36°..... I was getting used to these warmer temps...

I did it to myself..... wifey now wants another shelf in the bathroom vanity (actually 2, one on each side). She saw how fast and easy the kitchen shelf was to install, so now I don't have any excuses.... nutts!

I will, at least, get a few measurements.... then head out to the shop and hang out for a bit. I think I can get this stretched out for a couple days ....:rolleyes::unsure:

I have to go find my tape measure.....

Everyone have a great day!

/ Good morning!!!! #144,366  
Drew, have fun on your trip. I wouldn't mind that extra 4 hours, riding on the train is relaxing ( to me anyway).

Roy, glad the wifey is progressing. Foot / ankle injuries take a while to heal.

RNG, glad that the gas leak was an easy fix. Now, the van issues.... well that's another story----- good luck!

/ Good morning!!!! #144,368  
thanks Ted. here's my menu
I think they bring box lunches to your room.
Don, please note the vegan option.
I love short ribs unless they are really fatty.
Amtrak, did your chefs carve them extra lean for me?
maybe not
Interesting at the bottom it says vegetarian and at the top, vegan and CHEESE is NOT vegan, unless they are using a fatty vegan cheese substitute. Most items (almost 100%) that are on "vegetarian" menus contain cheese which is not part of a healthy plant based meal.

Just got back from Our neighborhood Plant Based Group meeting with is part of the Garden club and I volunteered to help with the menu of the Garden club functions. Since there are very few options available in the store I think I will be cooking mass quantities and may have to start a catering group within the club.

So it will be a WFPB catering group within the WFPB group which is a sub group of the Garden Club. I think I need more machines.

/ Good morning!!!! #144,369  
Good afternoon, today going slightly better than yesterday. My wife seems to have forgiven me for letting a few sheep into the garden - some spring flowers may be a little late this year ... :oops:

Not much splitting required on that pile
Mostly, you certainly don't need the extra exercise of splitting with all that biking.

They say splitting is the fastest way to dry firewood and some who are really keen split anything above 4" in diameter.
Our woodburners can swallow quite large logs, so I am content (lazy) to simply leave anything up to 9" diameter for an extra year or two on the woodpile. How about everyone else, at what point do you decide to swing a maul or fire up the log splitter ?

/ Good morning!!!! #144,370  
That menu sounds 'top notch' and delicious!

Not sure if it's still available, but Amtrak used to have a 'fly and ride' packages where half the trip was flying to a large hub, then taking the train for the other half trip. Redo in reverse for the return trip.

We took the SW Chief from Albq. into Chicago, the flew into Philly. The train portion was absolutely the best portion of the trip! The food was fantastic!

We have talked for years about taking a trip on the "Rocky Mountaineer" train. Packages can can get quite luxurious but also very expensive. It is still on our 'bucket list', but now with the RV, probably will get moved down the list a good ways.