What causes tractor rollovers?

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #1  

Reddogs

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 790 / Kubota L3301
I was using heavy equipment for paying my tuition and was driving a tractor when I was sent over to mow a steep hill near a school in the morning. Well, there was heavy dew so it was very wet and I slid down all the way to the bottom, over and over and I wonder how they managed to mow such a hill but I got it done. Well the next morning the assistant asked who had mowed that hill and when I raised my hand he went into a long "lesson" on the dangers of rollovers and how lucky I wasnt killed, and chewed out the one who sent me as he said you can never mow a hill when its wet or early morning, so my first lesson in tractoring..

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #3  
High center of gravity is a big factor.....want to keep it as low as possible.

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #4  
I have a few spots on my property where I will not take the tractor - either vertical or horizontal. It might be OK but there is always the chance of a hidden hole or rock. It's just not worth finding out .............

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #5  
The local school has one of these.

Attachments

• MJ840_studio_0461.jpg
    MJ840_studio_0461.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 253
   / What causes tractor rollovers? #6  
My daughter mowed lawns on the college campus she attended. Fast learned that wet grass can turn into a hazardous area real fast.

She wasn't hurt but her mower stayed at the bottom of the hill until the grass dried enough to drive the mower back up the hill.

/ What causes tractor rollovers?
Gravity, it is always the gravity that tips them over ;)
But there is always something that makes it reach the "tipping" point...

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #8  
P.E.B.T.S.A.S.W

/ What causes tractor rollovers?
   / What causes tractor rollovers? #10  
I flew helicopters in the Army for 18 years and what they teach is that there is a critical angle and a rolling motion that causes rollovers. I always look in the user manuals to see what the critical angle is, no one ever has it listed. If the critical angle were published an an inclinometer were installed there would probably be less rollovers. Even a simple bubble gauge would help. In any case what has worked for me is the pinch factor, when my **** starts to pinch a hole in the seat cover I back off what ever I am doing.