Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Cutting / Groving / Siping R-4 for snow

/ Cutting / Groving / Siping R-4 for snow #671  
The hotter the tire the better from my experience doing my old Kubota. Leave them out in the summer sun and then start in.
Kinda what I am thinking. Being here in the PNW, my window of opportunity is mid July and to mid August. :laughing:

/ Cutting / Groving / Siping R-4 for snow #672  
I'm willing to loan mine out for cost of shipping both ways as well.

Thanks again, it worked out great. Putting a propane salamander in front of each tire for a few minutes certainly made it easier.

I’ve noticed improved traction with my L3540 (loader rears and 6’ inverted blower on back) on our long hilly blacktopped driveway for sure. Where I used to need to engage the differential lock to push snow uphill (and still struggle), I can easily go up without it. Better on the trails too.

57056236489__C6ACA138-D248-4655-850D-0C11BB7AD2F5.JPG57056243611__87827FFF-BB0A-4723-AAD9-7536A0DB2FEC.JPG

/ Cutting / Groving / Siping R-4 for snow #673  
Thanks again, it worked out great. Putting a propane salamander in front of each tire for a few minutes certainly made it easier.

I’ve noticed improved traction with my L3540 (loader rears and 6’ inverted blower on back) on our long hilly blacktopped driveway for sure. Where I used to need to engage the differential lock to push snow uphill (and still struggle), I can easily go up without it. Better on the trails too.

View attachment 592905View attachment 592906
Good to know... that is exactly what I have a newly paved steep blacktopped shared driveway... about 800ft or so.

/ Cutting / Groving / Siping R-4 for snow #674  
Found my tire groover in the garage in NH, if anyone wants to borrow it.

Bought Ofa chains a few years ago.

/ Cutting / Groving / Siping R-4 for snow #675  
The compound of rubber is what makes a snow tire, a snow tire. Grooving is futile.

/ Cutting / Groving / Siping R-4 for snow #679  
In my personal experience grooving the R4 tires for snow removal made it so I did not have to use chains.

Grooving of tires gave me more traction in the snow, Your mileage may very.
My statement is subjective, but is based on my personal experence.

Thank you Gladehound for starting this thread, it changed the capabilty of my tractor for the better when operating my tractor in the snow.

Last edited:
   / Cutting / Groving / Siping R-4 for snow #680  
My plan is to both groove and sipe my R-4's for better traction. This evening, I did the grooving part. 20 minutes for the first rear tire, 15 minutes for the second (since I had some practice on the first). Here are some pictures of what I did. I'm hoping this improves snow traction some.

When I get a chance I will sipe them on either side of the grooves for even better traction in hard packed snow/ice. The theory is, the more biting edges the better the snow/ice traction.

It's snowing now, I'll see how they go in the morning! 👍
Great theory, it worked for me.