Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Cutting / Groving / Siping R-4 for snow

/ Cutting / Groving / Siping R-4 for snow #681  
Once upon a time, I actually thought that some folks enjoyed a spirited debate on different topics. Not so much anymore. Some of you just like to argue and the topic doesn't seem to matter. Makes for lousy reading.

/ Cutting / Groving / Siping R-4 for snow #682  
Found my tire groover in the garage in NH, if anyone wants to borrow it.

Bought Ofa chains a few years ago.
Hi Garandman,

I am interested - sent you a PM

Thanks
Carl

/ Cutting / Groving / Siping R-4 for snow #684  
The compound of rubber is what makes a snow tire, a snow tire. Grooving is futile.
If that were true, tire companies wouldn't spend millions producing new moulds, they would simply use different rubber in their summer or all-season patterns.

/ Cutting / Groving / Siping R-4 for snow #685  
The compound of rubber is what makes a snow tire, a snow tire. Grooving is futile.
Two tires made by Nokian - who invented the snow tire.
2021112412350104--7078292325401585862-IMG_1059-X3.jpg

/ Cutting / Groving / Siping R-4 for snow #686  
Gee, do I see grooving and sipes? We had snow tires long before the softer rubber compounds.

/ Cutting / Groving / Siping R-4 for snow #688  
Gee, do I see grooving and sipes? We had snow tires long before the softer rubber compounds.
You certainly do see grooving and sipes, of course if you shove a thumb nail into the tread you will also find a softer rubber compound.
Also, even back in the 50-60's the better snow tires wore out much faster then the summer tires did, so maybe a softer rubber even then?
The cheaper snow tires that didn't work as good did last longer.

/ Cutting / Groving / Siping R-4 for snow #689  
I miss the days when you could order new tires, mounted and balanced from Sears & Roebuck and they would show up in the mail. Good Times!

/ Cutting / Groving / Siping R-4 for snow #690  
I miss the days when you could order new tires, mounted and balanced from Sears & Roebuck and they would show up in the mail. Good Times!

Sears? The only Mail Order place near us when I was growing up was Monkey Wards. Only had to drive about 10 miles and you could get almost anything you wanted!