Snow blower purchase

/ Snow blower purchase #41  
I own five snowblowers on 3 different properties. Gravel driveway you need a metal discharge chute . Plastic will get destroyed by gravel flying through it.
Wheels only if wife will use it . Tracks suck to move around. You can’t move tracked ones unless they are running . Electric start . Minimum of 8 hp . Make sure shear pins are easy to get to on the auger.
Single stage are only good on hard surface. They dig into the grass. 2 stage will go over the grass very well . I open a path for my dog all the way around the house and out to the bird feeder for my wife .

If the wife will use it, take her along when you pick it out . So you know it fits her and the controls are easy to use .
Make a video on how to start it and how to run it . Send this to your wife’s phone so she can review the process. My wife only uses it about twice a year so the video comes in handy if I’m not around.
I would make sure you have a light on the blower . Very handy when it gets dark so early .

/ Snow blower purchase #43  
How does the number of stages effect how it slides over or digs into grass?
A single stage blower has a fast spinning paddle or auger that tends to grab the grass.

A two stage blower's auger moves much slower, moving the snow towards the high speed impeller for discharge. It doesn't tend to grab the grass nearly as bad or fast.

/ Snow blower purchase #44  
How is the Arien tracked machine ease of handling wise? I have been debating adding tracks to my 30" Ariens, but I'm concerned it may be more difficult to handle.
They may have changed with hydrostatic but I had a circa 1978 craftsman 420 track machine. I got it for free but hated that it did not freewheel in reverse. It always had to be put in reverse and driven backwards even when you wanted to pull it back a few feet, shift over and blow forward again.

Last edited:
   / Snow blower purchase #45  
On many of the small, single stage blowers the rubber edge of the auger is designed to contact the surface being cleared and provides the tractive force (e.g. Toro "rotor propelled" 518 ZR). These do a good job of clearing right down to the porch boards, walkway pavers, or driveway asphalt but tend to pull grass and scatter stones. Older and generally larger single stage blowers have skid shoes that raise the auger or fan.

Attachments

• turboneige.jpg
    turboneige.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 109
  • toro38472.jpg
    toro38472.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
   / Snow blower purchase #46  
For use on gravel or grass surfaces, I would seriously consider a blower with tracks instead of wheels such as this one from Toro:

They're pricey but eliminate the need for tire chains and they "float" better on uneven surfaces.

/ Snow blower purchase #47  
A single stage blower has a fast spinning paddle or auger that tends to grab the grass.

A two stage blower's auger moves much slower, moving the snow towards the high speed impeller for discharge. It doesn't tend to grab the grass nearly as bad or fast.

Maybe we’re talking about two different things.

Is there’s 8”+ of uncut grass sticking up in the snow?
I don’t understand how an auger, single or double stage, is going to grab frozen grass (that is at mowed height) from under the snow.
My understanding is the height of the snowblower’s shoes will determine how high the snowblower’s cutting edge is above the grass. This will determine if the cutting edge grabs grass.
For me, it’s only a concern when there’s no frost in the ground’s surface layer that unpaved surfaces, (grass, dirt, gravel) get ripped up.

Last edited:
   / Snow blower purchase #48  

I don’t understand how an auger, single or double stage, is going to grab frozen grass (that is at mowed height) from under the snow.
My understanding is the height of the snowblower’s shoes will determine how high the snowblower’s cutting edge is above the grass. This will determine if the cutting edge grabs grass.
For me, it’s only a concern when there’s no frost in the ground’s surface layer that unpaved surfaces, (grass, dirt, gravel) get ripped up.
single stage can rip grass. dual stage doesn't . I snow blow over a lot of grass.

/ Snow blower purchase #49  

The grass is 2.5" tall. The skids ride on the dirt, not the grass. Unless the skids are set up more than 2.5", that high speed thrower is gonna grab the grass, or at least tear the heck out of it.

/ Snow blower purchase #50  
The grass is 2.5" tall. The skids ride on the dirt, not the grass. Unless the skids are set up more than 2.5", that high speed thrower is gonna grab the grass, or at least tear the heck out of it.
As said before . Single stage blower have a spinning set of rubber paddles that contact the surface and throw the snow out the chutes.

Dual stage blowers first have a scraper blade on the bottom of the chute opening. I like to keep this blade 1/8” off the ground . You set this height by the shoes on the outside of the chute . When the first auger spins it breaks the snow up and funnels back to the second stage which throws it out the chute. I have never scalped or dig into my grass if the shoes are set correctly.