Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments?

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #81  
I’ve done a small amount of sheet metal welding. Like others have said do small stitches and repeat. I also used .023 wire in place of .035. I’ve also watched a few decent you tube videos about it.

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #83  
Geez, if you gotta buy a new welder you might just as well buy a new fender. :rolleyes:

I bought two new after market fenders for my Ford...And I'm a retired body man with a shop full of welders. At some point, you just have to choose your battles. (y)

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #84  
Thanks, I tried to, but it has tears in the seams I think, so I would just make it worse. Now as for MIG, I have a welder stored that shoots out a wire, but havent used it yet, is that what you mean by a MIG?
Until the OP decides to bless us with his input again (last seen in this thread at post #41) this thread has become useless.
I have a welder stored that shoots out a wire
I have one also. A 12 yr old HF Flux core freebee which stopped feeding wire (hence the price).
HF welder
(Haven't even tried to fix it.)
Or maybe he has a Millermatic 252.

But I keep checking this thread and it seems it is too much of a bother for him to tell us what he has.
Instead the thread drifts to arguing about poor welds with MIG etc.

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #85  
I have to constantly be fixing parts on the tractor such as the latches, seat, fenders, hood or attachments such as posthole diggers or rotary cutters, etc.. My buddy told me any welds would not hold on such thin metal for the like, but there has to be a way to do it rather than pay for a new part
Not many farmers have Mig or Tig welders in their shop but there is a way to fix thin metal with your stick welder. Take a welding rod and knock the flux’s off hopefully you have some 3/32 rods Now turn welding machine down as low as you can and still weld Take rod with no flux in one hand lay end in place to be welded now get arc going with other rod and melt rod with no flux You have to keep pulling welding rod out so not to melt the metal

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments?
Until the OP decides to bless us with his input again (last seen in this thread at post #41) this thread has become useless.

I have one also. A 12 yr old HF Flux core freebee which stopped feeding wire (hence the price).
HF welder
(Haven't even tried to fix it.)
Or maybe he has a Millermatic 252.

But I keep checking this thread and it seems it is too much of a bother for him to tell us what he has.
Instead the thread drifts to arguing about poor welds with MIG etc.
As I said, I dont know the difference between a MIG or TIG, and trying to learn a little about welding, excuse if any misstep.

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #87  
As I said, I dont know the difference between a MIG or TIG, and trying to learn a little about welding, excuse if any misstep.
If you're really interested in learning to weld, see if there's a local community college that offers welding classes. Or, find 'a guy' (or gal) that will be willing to teach you. It's a valuable skill, and I find it to be quite rewarding. I bought torches for cutting and heating when I was 18. Taught myself how to weld with books. I then took some classes back in the early 80's at our local community college. gas, arc, and MIG. It was well worth the cost to have a good teacher. Then it was practice, practice, practice. I keep thinking about TIG. May do that in a couple years. Depends if I put any more holes in my aluminum boat. :ROFLMAO:

Good luck. Look into classes. ;)

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #88  
Every community college offers classes in industrial arts, welding included. They won't get you certified but they will instill the proper technique and they are well worth the cost. I was certified in Nuclear TIG a long time ago but I let it lapse. It's an ongoing certification that has to be renewed yearly here and involves a hands on test too.

My skill set hasn't diminished but my desire to work has...IOW, I'm retired.

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #89  
Can you just tell us what you have for a welder that shoots out wire?

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #90  
A good second use for 035 solid wire is tie wire. Use it all the time for that.