Trailer refurb

/ Trailer refurb #11  
I like overkill.
What would you use to get the rust off?
Any “best” primer and paint? Thanks
I found what I have used. This is good stuff. I am sure there are others as good maybe better. I know this has worked for me.

primer.jpg

/ Trailer refurb #12  
I've had the same experience. Shortly after the DEF system came out I was in a big box store and a clerk came up and asked to help. So I told him I was looking for diesel exhaust fluid. He looked at me like I was nuts and turned around and walked away. (Probably thought I was just making something up)
To be honest, a few years ago I would have told you to look next to the muffler bearings. Who would have guessed this was where we were headed.

/ Trailer refurb
I was looking at the screws on e trailer site and they were running 1 dollar each.
Ones at Lowe’s were around 30 cents. What’s the big difference?
Picture of Lowe’s product.

Attachments

• 3E09FED2-5FC9-494A-B96F-1E3CD1B5C922.jpeg
    3E09FED2-5FC9-494A-B96F-1E3CD1B5C922.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 101
   / Trailer refurb #14  
I put diamond plate on mine in 1999 and since then, it's been fine.

/ Trailer refurb #15  
I was looking at the screws on e trailer site and they were running 1 dollar each.
At my local Lowes those are $11 for the 12. I've found Lowes to be slow to update prices on screws and bolts.
And that is without my 10% vet discount.

/ Trailer refurb #16  
Some screws are better than others. I've used both types and they are different.

/ Trailer refurb #17  
I wouldn't use Phillip's head screws, too eady to strip the head. #50 Torx work better!
Drilling a nrw hole is a lot easier then trying to line up the old holes, and the threads may not start right, and they will strip the threads!
David from jax

/ Trailer refurb #18  
Some screws are better than others. I've used both types and they are different.
I agree. With bolts one can easily see if it is a grade 5 or a grade 8. I once bought cheap bolts at HW to put on a push mower handle. With out a cheater bar or even a strain I broke the bolts. I do not think self tapping bolts have the same type rating system as bolts. That being said, I would buy from a place similar to Fastenal (you will pay a premium but it will be worth it).

/ Trailer refurb #20  
I wouldn't use Phillip's head screws, too eady to strip the head. #50 Torx work better!
Drilling a nrw hole is a lot easier then trying to line up the old holes, and the threads may not start right, and they will strip the threads!
David from jax
You can drill from bottom up to align hole with smaller bit.