The high cost of cutting grass

/ The high cost of cutting grass #21  
Laramie area? I have in-law relatives in Cheyenne, Alcova, Buffalo, Wright, Casper, Glenrock, and Evanston.

Not really. More west and then south of Cheyenne. My office is in Cheyenne.

/ The high cost of cutting grass #22  
There is a fellow down south of me that keeps sheep. Last I know - he has around 1800. He is Basque - from northern Spain. He has three big, white shaggy dogs. Great Pyrenees.

They come running right up to your vehicle when you visit. Thank goodness - they are friendly.

/ The high cost of cutting grass #23  
Our neighbor (about 2 miles away) has a couple Great Pyrenees that wander over to visit every once in a while. Nice dogs. At one of our old houses we had a different pair of Great Pyrenees come to visit too. They are certainly have distinct (great) personalities.

/ The high cost of cutting grass #24  
Our neighbor (about 2 miles away) has a couple Great Pyrenees that wander over to visit every once in a while. Nice dogs. At one of our old houses we had a different pair of Great Pyrenees come to visit too. They are certainly have distinct (great) personalities.
They are very friendly, but they also tend to bark a lot.

/ The high cost of cutting grass #25  
sheep, then you need a llama, and some dogs to protect the sheep, and wake up when the llama alerts. Then you can spend it on hay and dog food. haha.

seriously though, mowing grass sucks and there is not reason to do that much of it. animals may cost the same amount but they are same amount of work. fun to watch though.

we have Navaho-churro sheep, a llama, 3 dogs, chickens, a cat and rabbits, just to be clear. only loss with mountain lions, fox, bobcats, coyotes and birds of prey around was one chicken to a hawk.

the advantage of llamas, they poop in one pile.

/ The high cost of cutting grass #26  
What's a rattlesnake. I've never seen one of those.
I have, in South Bend, when I was a kid. Now the closest ones to me are up around Cassopolis around the kitty litter guy's place.

/ The high cost of cutting grass #27  
I have, in South Bend, when I was a kid. Now the closest ones to me are up around Cassopolis around the kitty litter guy's place.
The range map I posted shows rattlesnakes in southern Indiana, but not Northern. But of course those maps aren’t perfect.

/ The high cost of cutting grass #28  
The range map I posted shows rattlesnakes in southern Indiana, but not Northern. But of course those maps aren’t perfect.
There's one type in northern but now very rare: Eastern Massasauga.

There's a different species in southern: Timber Rattlesnake.

Copperheads in some parts of the state.

Water moccasins in southern part, too, as I recall.

/ The high cost of cutting grass #29  
There's one type in northern but now very rare: Eastern Massasauga.

There's a different species in southern: Timber Rattlesnake.

Copperheads in some parts of the state.

Water moccasins in southern part, too, as I recall.
We just have the small prairie rattlesnakes where I live. Some years I see/kill several, some years none. I have been focusing on mowing a wide swath around the house and outbuildings and baiting the mice. I’ve found that when I do a good job of reducing the field mouse populations, I don’t see snakes. I’ve also noticed that on the years when the bull snake populations are high, I don’t see rattlesnakes. I like bull snakes.

/ The high cost of cutting grass #30  
Snakes don't bother me much. Probably because there are about ZERO venomous ones near me. My tune might change if encounters were likely. I'm more concerned with wasps and hornets, and accidentally disturbing their nests. YIKES! Those hurt.