Combating Spam

/ Combating Spam #31  
Sorry Mate but I, respectfully, disagree.

This suggestion reminds me of the 'Facebook' row of quick emojis and, in this TBN forum, is against the advice/interaction style that I, at least, enjoy. Yes, I will give a " (y) Good Post" where warranted. If I disagree with the opinion/advice of another Member then I will either take the time to address the post(s) or I will simply ignore it.

And don't forget that 'we' are communicating via the written word = inflection/tone, heck, even language/words can be misconstrued. A few years ago, a New Member (from Wisconsin, I believe) got upset with me for calling him "Mate" as he thought that I was referring to him as "Buddy" or was being condescending whereas I was being friendly and welcoming.

:D I have no idea how many TBN Members are ticked off by my writing (quite properly, I might add) tyre or aluminium.

Sarcasm is a whole different subject.
We seem to be talking several different types of annoying posts. The OP's comments seemed to be focused on outside spam...links to dubious, possibly infected sites. IMHO the mods do a great job of deleting these as I've rarely seen one.

The other is more directed at legitimate, but annoying posts...be they be by highly opinionated know it alls who put down anyone who disagrees with their "wisdom" (ie-trolls) or situations like Wagtail noted, cultural misunderstandings. Heck, there are enough regional cultural differences within the U.S., let alone other countries that can make things come across in ways they weren't meant.
As far as trolls go, I might call one out on something, but otherwise just ignore them. Most of them eventually seem to step over the line and get booted.

/ Combating Spam #32  
What purpose does the Good Post box serve? The number of good posts is collective and viewable. Lets take one of many possible scenarios. Gonzo,a member who believes forums should not be moderated but left for members to thrash out. Gonzo take's every opertunity to belittle,discredit or minimiz mods. Members who share Gonzo's view inveriably click good post when Gonzo shoot's a dart at mods. Gonzo will soon have a number of displayed beside his name. During the same period,Rosco,a laid back member who pertisipate's in discussions but doesn't try to stand out likly has few if any good posts displayed beside his name. What does a member that view's both gain or benifit from what is shown?

/ Combating Spam #33  
re Oaktree

Yes but "troll" is more often than not "someone who doesn't share my same viewpoint" and to a lesser extent "person is hostile or a jerk."

"Worthless" type buttons are opinions / ego and if a mod even began to think about what to do, it would involve being up to speed on the topic ... or sucking their breath between their teeth as they utter yes but clearly they are just a poor newbie to the tractor world.

Rather than let report buttons and such, shape a member into a problem, I have found it's always best to let them do it themselves ... aka step well over the line.

As a side note a couple of times I've found the "troll" to be nothing but just misunderstood or a poor communicator ... and the contrary "experts" really hadn't stepped foot in real life on the topic and were simply repeating gospel which might be relevant elsewhere.

re jaxs

The whole thanks thing to me, coming from forums of old, is a bit weird, but still it might serve the posting member as an idea if they've posted a good bit of info, have tried hard to answer a question or stated something well.

A lot of forum software also included a way for mods or admins to "reset" certain counts. I guess it matters to some people.

As for the numbers game some members play at various forums, it's really just a number even though they and some others might read something more into it. Anti whatever member with a fan base, that's what it is, even if it's some nonce or beef with a mod.

The thanks or good post at least of all is not quite as bad as the "points" scheme that exists in some help forums ... experts.whatever back in the day when computing.net used to be the top of search results (non personalised and results that actually on mark)(speaking 2002, 2003 ish) pretty much marked the start of its demise -- IMO but I guess it's biased because once the "loud" members PO'ed those who also used to do other things like find drivers for desperate new members, well ...

Last edited:
   / Combating Spam #34  
Have not read through this post but it seems that they join and post the same day... even one day "grace" period might end it for most.

/ Combating Spam #36  
Yet by the time that I’m up they’ve all been reported, and by this time of day they are gone.

/ Combating Spam #37  
Yet by the time that I’m up they’ve all been reported, and by this time of day they are gone.
That's because one of the mods is an early riser and I tend to stay up late.

The owners of TBN are aware of the recent uptick in spammers and I'm sure they're looking into solutions.

In the mean time, everyone appreciates it when spam is reported. Thanks. (y)

/ Combating Spam #38  
TBN has experienced several 'waves' of spam over the years. Different 'subjects' but spam campaigns that eventually 'peter out' over time.

Some of the sneakier spam posts occur in current and resurrected threads or by a "New Member" claiming to have a 100+hp tractor on 1 acre of land.

It's fun to discover/report those. If in doubt, I'll report it as, "Suspected spam - your call", sometimes including why I suspect it.

/ Combating Spam #39  
TBN has experienced several 'waves' of spam over the years. Different 'subjects' but spam campaigns that eventually 'peter out' over time.

Some of the sneakier spam posts occur in current and resurrected threads or by a "New Member" claiming to have a 100+hp tractor on 1 acre of land.

It's fun to discover/report those. If in doubt, I'll report it as, "Suspected spam - your call", sometimes including why I suspect it.
Agreed but just want to say my pant leg was attacked for suggesting members could and should call out borderline posts for mod review. Seem's as there's fear people might be mis-judged due to cultural differiences. Add to the mix that what some consider fun often blow's other folks skirt up and things are no longer so black or white.

/ Combating Spam #40  
It has definitely been worse the last few weeks...
They (spam posts for CBD oil and vitamins) are showing up after 10 pm in my time zone (mountain time), so people in the central and eastern time zones may be asleep or done with this site by that time. They are reported and usually gone by morning (in my time zone).