Got to love developments in rural areas

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #21  
Nothing has changed in over 40 years where I grew up. High taxes is one of the reasons. NYS property taxes are causing millions to leave. If people are leaving, then there is little development. There certainly are areas in NYS that are growing, but other areas haven't changed a bit in the last 40+ years.

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #22  
The area here was first surveyed in 1839. Our farm house was built in 1846. If I look at the 1840,50,60 census, almost all names from one are not on the next. Speculation and land platts with town and rural lots have been here since the beginning. 1910-1925 saw a lot of development. One zoning restriction that I saw (1913), in a nearby fairly affluent area in "lake country", was "no livery stables allowed".
1910 - 1925 I ( suspect ) immigration played a large role in that .

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #23  
In my last town on the other side of the river in NJ.
Developers tried to push through a 1000 apartment complex by the train tracks and told everyone that the income/rateables would cover the costs and lower taxes.

While everyone was fighting this and another huge proposed development, a bunch of smaller developments shot up almost over night, and then the Mayor announced he was not running again and retired.
I doubt he needs the pension and lifetime health insurance he now has from that job.

The smaller developments were over 800 units and property taxes shot up like mad.

When I left 6 years ago, taxes were going up $1000 every year, and they changed the rules to make it incredibly hard to fight the increases.

In the six years I have been here in PA, my taxes went up $100. And the only new house being built now is my new neighbor on a 10 acre plot which was zoned for a house decades ago.

/ Got to love developments in rural areas
Pilot Mountain in the back ground of the video... drive past that all too often off Hwy52.

The plot next door, 0.5 acre is for sale at $650k, just saying. As for those that complain, should have bought the land before the developer!!!
I Picked up 52 from off the Pinnacle exit today going up to Hillsville. I'm only about 25 minutes away from Winston Salem, and I'm still amazed at the amount of crime that town has. Sooner or later, Forsyth county is going to bring the surrounding counties up to par with the taxes.

That said, I moved to Winston from Pa in 2001 and moved a county line over in 2004, so perhaps I'm no better than those that follow...

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #25  
Back when I moved from a dense suburban home just outside of LA to a nice home on 10 acres in East Washington, I recalled hearing gunfire next door while looking at the house (which we later bought) and didn’t think much of it except that I thought to myself “What a nice place to do target shooting!” Later I became good neighbors with the fellow who had a simple range. He confessed that whenever he would notice a prospective buyer tour the house, he’d go out and fire a few rounds. The reasoning is that he’d scare off only the city folks! I told him we WERE city folks but we have every intention to assimilate into the country culture! I do like his method!

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #26  
We moved onto our 80 acres in 1982. This area is wheat farming and cattle ranching. Our zoning has not changed in the ensuing 40 years. Minimum lot size is still 20 acres. Makes subdividing any land totally beyond financial reasoning. I smile when I think about this.

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #27  
We moved onto our 80 acres in 1982. This area is wheat farming and cattle ranching. Our zoning has not changed in the ensuing 40 years. Minimum lot size is still 20 acres. Makes subdividing any land totally beyond financial reasoning. I smile when I think about this.

It's still that way in a lot of the Western USA. Small towns or farms - both with large minimum lot sizes - and surrounded by federal BLM and Nat'l Forest lands. The disadvantage is that it is a long way to town. Good for some people; not so good for families with kids. Or you drive a lot.
rScotty

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #28  
It wasn't the ten mile drive into town that was the problem here. It was my son walking down our mile long driveway in the AM and PM to catch/be delivered back from the school bus.

He groused about this. The old story about walking ten miles thru the driving blizzard - bare foot - to get to school - didn't cut much wood for him. This situation totally changed when he was in college and could drive one of the family cars.

Kids ............

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #29  
It's the same all over NC. In our area Wake, Durham, and Johnston counties have all over built with McMansions and high density housing (Read "townhouses").

We live in Granville county and the only thing stopping additional development is the South Granville Water system was built during WWII for the old camp Butner army base. Limited capacity and not too efficient. Now they will not allow any more development attached to it.

As a result of the over-development we are now subject to state "Watershed Regulations". The regulations apply to all properties in the designated areas and only allow landowners to disturb 1/2 acre (cumulative since 2012) of their property. It doesn't matter how many acres you have, 1/2 acre cumulative (22,000 square feet).

If you plant a tree or bush, you must get a zoning permit so they can count the disturbed property. If you put up a fence ... disturbed area for the fence posts. Any time you disturb your property it must be documented and counted for zoning.

In my case, I have 20 acres and I am allowed to disturb 1/2 acre cumulative total. One person tried to tell me that driving my gator over my property counts as disturbing the land.....

I just built a new house and put in a new septic system, = 16,000 sq ft disturbed.

I've lived here 25 years and have been planning this new house for 20 years. I finally get it built and now this bull-crap. Otherwise I'd pack up and move to the mountains somewhere ......
Could you subdivide your 20 acres in to 20 parcels so you have more options?

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #30  
I'll add folks build on a private gravel road and then want everyone to drive 5 mph past their house!