Got to love developments in rural areas

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #41  
How would people here feel if the rural development was your neighbor deciding to use his land for airbnb and you would then have different tourists frequenting that land every week ? Right now it is getting common for cottage owners to rent out using airbnb and the true owner just showing up between guests to clean . Other than that , the neighbors are stuck dealing with partys every weekend as " tourists" get their once a summer waterfront/ boating party fix. And neighbors have to worry about theft and vandalism. I suspect given the growing airbnb trade..... it will grow to rural locations even without waterfront. For " tourists" to enjoy offroad ATV experiences , etc etc. Thoughts ???
It's a big problem here in the Pocono mountains. As a result, many townships are passing ordnances regulating rentals of this kind. Landlords face heavy fines if there are complaints from neighbors.

A few years ago, when I was staying with a friend at his lake cottage, there was a big party going on in the rental next door. By 2 AM, the music was so loud, we couldn't have a normal conversation on his screen porch. It was a regular occurrence and he had a routine for dealing with these obnoxious renters. If two phone calls and a polite knock on their door didn't quell the din, he would resort to more drastic measures. On this particular occasion, while unobserved by the tenants, I held a flashlight while he pulled their power meter from it's base and threw it in the lake! It's amazing how quiet it got!

He claims there are now 8 power meters at the bottom of the lake!

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #42  
When I purchased my retirement home, I wanted to be sure I would not face "development issues". My time horizon is not that long so it was not too difficult. I made one mistake, and that was having one border with State land. It affects me a bit in the spring during mushroom season and opening week of deer season.

For the "violators" I get in the spring, I make use of my 200 yard range and the number of folks trespassing has dropped to almost zero. Opening week of deer season I do not hunt much as there are too many citidots out there.

I feel sorry for folks who have owned property for decades and have to deal with a development next door.

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #43  
Ya'll need to come to Brentwood TN. Very nice ranch style homes on a few acres was the norm since the 60's. Now, all being torn down and replaced with huge homes that barely fit on the lot. No stopping it either. Nashville will never be a small, rural town again.
In 1987 we lived in Nashville for most of the year. I worked in Brentwood building some of those houses as big as the whole lot. I remember one on this side road that went through a field and into the trees. At the corner of the side road was a ranch house with a one car detached garage that was built by a famous singer in the seventies. As you drove through the field the garages became attached, Then they became 2 car garages and the houses bigger. And so it went bigger and better. The house I was working on was huge with a four car garage. One lunch time the owner and I were talking and he was lamenting that he did not have a six car garage. I asked if he had six cars, and he answered that he had just one. So why do you want a six car garage? Because the man next door has 5, of course.

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #44  
So why do you want a six car garage?

With all due respect, that answer should have been obvious. Space is like a vacuum, a 5 car garage would fill up a lot quicker.

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #45  
That why I made it a point to buy my land far enough away from the city that the population hasn’t changed since the early 1800s. The 1.5 hour commute isn’t too bad since I only work 10 days a month.

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #46  
That why I made it a point to buy my land far enough away from the city that the population hasn’t changed since the early 1800s. The 1.5 hour commute isn’t too bad since I only work 10 days a month.
I did the same and had a similar 75 mile, 1.5 hour commute. Fortunately I'm retired now, otherwise the cost of gas would be a deal breaker.

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #47  
It's nuts. That, and what they're planning on doing in New Carlisle is nuts.
Yes especially in New Carlisle. Taking all that good farm land out of production on a wish and a prayer.... by the government. If it was purely private industry doing it and just buying up the land as it went for sale that is their business..... getting the government involved is a totally different matter.

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #48  
Yes especially in New Carlisle. Taking all that good farm land out of production on a wish and a prayer.... by the government. If it was purely private industry doing it and just buying up the land as it went for sale that is their business..... getting the government involved is a totally different matter.
Ahhh. But the government isn't forcing the land owners to sell yet. The first sellers are willing large land owners. Family farms that want out. At $38,000 an acre, I'd sell, to.

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #49  
Paddy - I live on a mile long, private, gravel road. It's my driveway. Visiting folks use to brag about how fast they could drive down the driveway. You would think Patton and his tank corp were coming down my driveway. Dust would boil up like a summer storm.

A few "non-repaired" pot holes solved that situation.

About fifteen years ago I once again graded everything smooth. It took about ten years for everybody to learn to SLOW DOWN.

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #50  
It's a big problem here in the Pocono mountains. As a result, many townships are passing ordnances regulating rentals of this kind. Landlords face heavy fines if there are complaints from neighbors.
A lot of these ordinances are on shaky ground legally, here in N.H. several have been overturned by the courts.

Probably most Air B&B/similar services rentals are not problematic, but there are just enough to ruin it for everyone. The 00s equivalent to a slumlord.
Doesn't always work. I'm 2+ hours from any city in an area that's lost close to 50% of its population in the last 40 years or so, but there's still development...a lot of it's 2nd homes.