Got to love developments in rural areas

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #31  
Face it - the solution overall is a rapid decrease in population. The virus that cannot be mentioned did not kill off enough of breeding age.
Virtually all organisms expand beyond the limits of their resources and then experience a population decline, often by disease.
War and pestilence are harsh solutions.

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #32  
Could you subdivide your 20 acres in to 20 parcels so you have more options?
Short answer, No. We are grandfathered at the back end of a 1.5 mile 1 lane gravel road.

County would require me to upgrade the whole road to 40' with 10' shaped drainage and streetlights. Not feasible because most of the easement is across a hillside.

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #33  
On top of a housing boom we have mega wear houses being built. They sit empty. Even ones filled are laying off people. They get a huge tax break to build it and then walk away. Lehigh and Northampton counties used to be relatively rural. Now it’s all big trucks and new exits leading to huge empty buildings.

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #34  
All of the huge warehouse-type buildings they are building here are full. So much so, that they are building spec warehousing/distribution centers with no customer signed yet, that get under contract before they're done building it. Just one after another.

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #35  
All of the huge warehouse-type buildings they are building here are full. So much so, that they are building spec warehousing/distribution centers with no customer signed yet, that get under contract before they're done building it. Just one after another.
Well we are the cross roads of America here Moss! All that development up north near the toll road is crazy though. Glad I live south. They can wait to develop here until I am ready to sell!

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #36  
Back when I moved from a dense suburban home just outside of LA to a nice home on 10 acres in East Washington, I recalled hearing gunfire next door while looking at the house (which we later bought) and didn’t think much of it except that I thought to myself “What a nice place to do target shooting!” Later I became good neighbors with the fellow who had a simple range. He confessed that whenever he would notice a prospective buyer tour the house, he’d go out and fire a few rounds. The reasoning is that he’d scare off only the city folks! I told him we WERE city folks but we have every intention to assimilate into the country culture! I do like his method!
I must have encountered somebody similar to him a few years back while working on a powerline project. As I walked by his property I noticed that his shooting range was set up so that he was shooting into the R/W.

Walking back a couple of hours later, I was about 50 yards past the trajectory of his range when he started shooting.
I've had lead whiz past my head before and since, yet that's the closest I've been to "warning shots"...

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #37  
Well we are the cross roads of America here Moss! All that development up north near the toll road is crazy though. Glad I live south. They can wait to develop here until I am ready to sell!
It's nuts. That, and what they're planning on doing in New Carlisle is nuts.

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #38  
My wife spent a few years in an undisclosed location on the NW side near the intersection of 31 and the toll road. I'd go to pick her up for lunch, or after work to pick her up. Or she'd sit outside on her coffee break. What's funny is after several months of this, I told her that I count semi's on the toll road while I was waiting and before I could tell her how many were going by, she said "Yeah, about 10 per minute. That's how I time my coffee break." 🤣

The amount of trucking, distribution and warehousing in that area is impressive.

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #39  
If those people don’t want the land developed they can get together and buy it. The other option is what they have in England where all land use must be approved by the government and you need permission to cut down a tree. Pick your poison. The English model works really well if your primary goal is to maintain rural areas as rural. I do feel sad every time an old farm goes to auction in 5 and 10 acre tracts. But that’s how the heirs get the best price.
That very thing was done by a customer I cut for. 5 neighbors with fairly large lots got together and bought a 35 acre parcel that was doomed for development. They consulted with a local conservancy who kicked back some funds (usually $10,000-$15,000 per acre) to help them, then got them an annual tax bill of about $200/year to help further.
They now own & control that land for eternity.

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #40  
How would people here feel if the rural development was your neighbor deciding to use his land for airbnb and you would then have different tourists frequenting that land every week ? Right now it is getting common for cottage owners to rent out using airbnb and the true owner just showing up between guests to clean . Other than that , the neighbors are stuck dealing with partys every weekend as " tourists" get their once a summer waterfront/ boating party fix. And neighbors have to worry about theft and vandalism. I suspect given the growing airbnb trade..... it will grow to rural locations even without waterfront. For " tourists" to enjoy offroad ATV experiences , etc etc. Thoughts ???