Can this be repaired? If not, does replacement have to be exact OEM?

/ Can this be repaired? If not, does replacement have to be exact OEM? #11  
I’d attempt to take it apart and fix it. If you fail you’re still going to have to buy a new housing so there’s no reason not to try.

/ Can this be repaired? If not, does replacement have to be exact OEM?
Talk to your local Massey dealer and see if they have a seal kit. I would venture to say the seals in the valve assembly deteriorated and when you closed the valve to work on it the movement finished them off. There should be o rings on the valve stem that you can replace when you pull it apart. If dealer does not have a kit your local parts store should be able to match up what you need. I would stick with rebuilding the old one or replacing with O‘em. Don’t be afraid to tear into it. Nothing ventured nothing gained. The screw should ride in a channel on the valve stem to keep it in the housing Unless there is a screw down the center.
Your thoughts on the valve stem having o-rings or such is what I was thinking. It just makes sense.
I bought the tractor in Idaho and am now in Arizona. No MF dealers anywhere here. I suppose I can call and find a dealer to ship to me.

Appreciate your advise 😁

Thanks for the help!
I'm encouraged to go for a repair. Here's a couple of pics from my MF. The small screw to the left of the valve handle does look like it may keep the handle on. There's no center screw inside the handle

MF fuel filter1.JPG
MF fuel filter4.JPG
MF fuel filter2.JPG

If I take out the valve, how do I prevent losing all the fuel from the tank? The hose (woven one) that comes from the tank is really hard/stiff.

I really need to use the tractor for Spring chores...would it hurt to keep using it? Could a person plug the overflow outlet to stop it from dripping? I seriously doubt I'd be able to twist wire like from the factory LOL

Last edited:
I’d attempt to take it apart and fix it. If you fail you’re still going to have to buy a new housing so there’s no reason not to try.
My thoughts exactly!! Am definitely a DIYer ;)

Whats on the back side of that valve? is there a retaining bolt, nut, or snapring of some kind?
The backside is smooth...no bolts, nuts, or screws.

......Be sure to put a little grease on them when reassembly happens.
Always grease gaskets, seals, rings. My brothers taught me well 🔧🔧

/ Can this be repaired? If not, does replacement have to be exact OEM? #17  
When you go to put it back together -- this is probably the best lube for fuel systems I've ever used; it's used on aircraft. Not cheap, but it doesn't really age.

Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 4.36.54 AM.png

/ Can this be repaired? If not, does replacement have to be exact OEM? #18  
It looks like that outside screw will be what’s holding the plug in.

easiest way to handle the fuel is to drain the tank.

/ Can this be repaired? If not, does replacement have to be exact OEM? #19  
Always grease gaskets, seals, rings. My brothers taught me well 🔧🔧

I always grease gaskets on both sides. I don't hesitate to cut a gasket out of a cereal or cracker box. Done that many a time. If I find some good paste board, I keep it just for that.

/ Can this be repaired? If not, does replacement have to be exact OEM? #20  
IF line from tank is pliable enough and not to brittle, you can probably use a pair of vice grips to pinch off line to keep it from flowing while you fiddle with valve/filter... Basically I would run tractor till fuel is very low in tank to keep from creating a very large puddle if things go wrong... IF valve assembly just has "O" rings any good auto parts or hydraulic shop should have them ... Just be sure the type of "O" ring is compatible with diesel fuel... Pictures sort of indicate you are not the first one to have a problem with this filter body... Even the bracket mounting the unit does not look standard/factory, looks like home brew, unit may not even be what came with tractor originally.

Last edited: