Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft..

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #1  

KilroyJC

Elite Member
Tractor
1962 Case 430, 1995 Craftsman Yard Tractor/mower, 1949 South Bend 9A Lathe, WoodMizer Lx55 sawmill, Kubota KX033-4 Mini-Excavator
Inevitably I will need a serious Jack or two, so I might as well get them BEFORE I really need them.

just looking to start arguments about whether to stick with the handier 48” size, get the extended capability of the 60” size, or maybe just get one of each.

Then there is the question of which model version, just to liven things up.

thoughts?

thank you!

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #2  
God bless ya, I have done a lot of interesting things I shouldn't have, and never worried much about most of it........... but, Those damn jacks scare the crap out of me to this day.

Best,

ed

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #3  
When is a near 4ft lift not enough?

If using it as a puller, you'll likely have to reset it several times anyway.

Go with the handier one.

I've used a 4ft for over 40 years and never wanted longer.

Treat it like you are handling a rattlesnake.

Bruce

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft..
God bless ya, I have done a lot of interesting things I shouldn't have, and never worried much about most of it........... but, Those damn jacks scare the crap out of me to this day.

Best,

ed
I have multiple pairs of Jack stands and use them religiously.

the quad looked kinda weird on the 12-ton stands when I did brakes last year, but it was SAFE!

Last edited:
   / Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft..
When is a near 4ft lift not enough?

If using it as a puller, you'll likely have to reset it several times anyway.

Go with the handier one.

I've used a 4ft for over 40 years and never wanted longer.

Treat it like you are handling a rattlesnake.

Bruce
my first car was a ‘75 Chevy Impala, with that stamped-steel ratchet bar bumper Jack that had the little tab of metal that hooked into the little slot in the chrome bumper. . . to lift almost 3 tons of Steel Pig.
I had a floor Jack in that trunk in under a week, along with a pair of 3-ton Jack stands.

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #6  
Why are you wanting to start arguments?? Quoting your first comment in this thread. Thanks.

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #7  
I've got a pair of 4 footers. Around a tractor, they come in handi for wheel work or shifting heavy implement ends.
I use the jack to lift the table on the hydraulic press. Sure saves the back!

There are a couple useful adaptors for the hi-lift. A cradle for the lifting peg, and a fitting to aid pulling. I keep thinking I'll get them...someday. ;-)

I can't imagine using a 5 footer to any better advantage when jacking. As a come along, the extra foot could be very handi. The four footer seems to run out of pull travel just about the time all the slack is taken up. And many a time, just one more foot of movement would have been the difference. I ended up getting a chain, lever rig ...

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #8  
I'd get the Hi Lift. It has a removable handle. Mine have pipe handles I put in them. Others have welded handles and I've seen many broken ones. As far as length, I have one that's 3' and I just use it to break beads on tires. Useless for other things. Several 4' versions. I have one 4' that was bent and I straightened. I'm gonna cut it in half and make two 6' jacks out of two of the 4' models. I have some oil field tank batteries 8 ft x 16 ft that I need a couple of tall jacks to pick the end up and back my trailer under. They are laying on their side. I'll come along on the trailer once I get them started on.

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #9  
Do you plan to lift with it or use it for a winch? If the latter, the extra foot is worth having. But then, why not just buy a real winch? Wyeth-Scott More Power Puller with Wire Cable About the time that you need lift something 4 feet into the air, something's gone seriously wrong! If you need that extra 12" of height, expect it to lean, and you probably will end up with a permanent bow in the bar.

Many, if not most of my coworkers won't even keep one in the truck; there are too many things which can go wrong. Instead, they prefer a hydraulic floor jack, and some also carry chains and a come along like the one in my link above.

I have a 5 foot jack but don't see the advantage over a 4 foot, for the reasons listed above. I also carry one of the power pullers I linked above along with plenty of chain, plus a chain saw. As time goes on though I've gotten tired of using the above so my trucks are now equipped with another handy feature... reverse!

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #10  
Interesting. I've never owned one and since I've lived this long without one I'm guessing I'll never buy one. I just can't imagine all the uses one would be good for.