Battery powered chainsaw

/ Battery powered chainsaw #161  
Thanks for this thread. I've been considering a battery saw to add to the gas saws. We have more forest then we'll ever be able to keep up with and am considering the battery for either the wife, who hates pull cords, or me for quick jobs of dropping lower limbs or small jobs. We also have concerns with needing to keep going in burn ban season.

To burn ban season: I've often sawed into the evening when one can easily see sparks. The sparks I have seen ALWAYS come from the chain and bar. The closest I've ever come to a fire is from very hot exhaust on dry bark or the chain/bar throwing sparks into dry duff. I think the battery saw would have a lower chain speed which would lower the friction from the bar/chain and consequentially the incidence of sparks? Thoughts?
My 18" EGO saw revs to 11,500 rpm with variable speed trigger.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #162  
I bought into the Stihl AP line both home and Christmas Tree Farm and no complaints other than the cost.

Now have pole saw, blower, 3 hedge trimmers and 3 saws.

Use something every week.

I would like Stihl to develop more uses for the AP... maybe lighting, USB, etc.

The hardest part is the first tool because it's the tool, charger and at least one battery and it adds up!
Dewalt 20v 12inch , I love it, can't pull anymore due to shoulders, I have 2 Stilh 16" nearly new, thinking I will sell them and put money on bigger chain cordless chain saw.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #163  
who owns owns one ? Brand ?
My brother bought 2 60v oregon battery saws 16 ", he has repair shop, works on mowers,chain saws, 4x4, . Those chain saws sold fast, this was about 2 years ago, still no complaints for buyers.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #164  
I’ve had a Greenworks 80v chainsaw for several years and a pole saw. I highly recommend these tools. I’ve taken down and reduced countless post oaks up to 16” without concern. I recommend you replace the original chain with a standard chain right off the bat, the original is a “safety chain” and is a definite hindrance to productivity. I also have two 4-amp hour batteries which each outlast me. These are powerful, heavy duty tools. And they require very little maintenance and start without fail whenever you push a button!

/ Battery powered chainsaw #165  
I’ve had a Greenworks 80v chainsaw for several years and a pole saw. I highly recommend these tools. I’ve taken down and reduced countless post oaks up to 16” without concern. I recommend you replace the original chain with a standard chain right off the bat, the original is a “safety chain” and is a definite hindrance to productivity. I also have two 4-amp hour batteries which each outlast me. These are powerful, heavy duty tools. And they require very little maintenance and start without fail whenever you push a button!
What makes one a safety chain?

/ Battery powered chainsaw #166  
Does anyone use a brush cutter blade in their battery string trimmers? Is battery a good way to go with this setup (for more heavy duty brush and weed clearing)?

/ Battery powered chainsaw #167  
Bought several Harbor Fright 40v lithium outdoor tools a couple years ago. "Lynxx" brand name. Now they don't sell that brand anymore. Too bad because the chainsaw is a little workhorse, and the pole saw too. The weed whacker not so much. Wanted to mount the blade type cutters instead of the string thing. Can't do that.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #169  
A lot of great responses here...and some BS responses, as expected.
As long as one understands the limitations of battery powered chain saws and pole saws, they're great tools!!

/ Battery powered chainsaw #170  
It was enlightening to purchase a Makita battery powered impact gun for lug nuts and big jobs around the place, since it was more powerful than my air tools and way more portable.
I recently bought a Dewalt impact wrench. I was hesitant, as I could do more with an 18" breaker bar than with the Craftsman 1/2 inch air tool I bought 30 years ago for comparable money. So far I've been impressed. It will rip a 1/2 inch bolt in two if I'm not careful, and sure was handy when I put my sawmill together this spring. I still think I'll go with another brand for a chain saw though, something which uses a bigger battery.