/ Need Suggestions for 45 HP #51  
It is a typical progression of one company buying another etc etc. Like you I had a TC25D (and I worked it very, very hard and it just kept going & going & going. It was a little beast) and I used it almost everyday for over 15 years until I upgraded. I NEVER had any issues getting typical parts I needed. No major break issues just routine things. I have a 2019 NH40 and love 95% of it. I wish they did a few ergonomic things different but it is solid. And yes there is a strong connection with LS but I do not know all the details so I will not speculate. I have the owners and complete service manuals for it. I have decided to upgrade to a 2022 NH Boomer 45 w/cab. The reason is it is in the next "tier" up as far as frame size, larger tires, bigger loader, and way more lift capacity front and rear. I suspect it will be the last tractor I purchase. I have an AWESOME local dealer and getting a hold of parts or a friendly person to talk to has never been an issue. Years ago Ford bought out NH and Fiat bought out out Ford. Full service, experienced personnel, parts, and quality is why I went to NH (again). I was considering the 3039 but the NH45 is in a different (better) league IMO. Oh, all this talk about Regen etc.....total 100% non-issue in my experience. When the lights come on, the RPM goes up, I keep working, 10-15 min later lights go out and I'm good for another 50 hours. It is and has always been an invisible operation. I do not see why people have an issue with that unless their model/brand gives them grief. But my NH40 is no problems. Neither is the turbo, no special treatments, it just does it job. In short for me it's NH based on past and current experiences over the last 25 years. I will be making a video on the 45 when it soon arrives. YT has my part 1 & 2 of my NH40 reviews if interested. Hope this helps.
There is a lot in what you are saying that i can get behind:
1. The dealer is a VERY important part of the buying decision.
2. NH may be a better option for a tractor if they allow the customer to obtain the factor service manual. LS would not and I will not buy a tractor without one, I passed on a great price on the MT342 that a local dealer (relatively) had in stock to wait a month and pay 5k more for a tractor that was more tractor than I needed but fit me well.
3. DPFs and turbos can and do provide great service, but IMO if I can get the frame size and the HP I need without those items, i will.

/ Need Suggestions for 45 HP #52  
I am considering the new Mahindra 5145 (45 HP). I am concerned about future availability of parts. I got burned buying a MF 451 years ago that was made in Brazil (I didn't know) and now it is very hard to find parts for it. The Massey is a separate story, but now I am worried about getting parts some day for this foreign brand. Is discontinued parts an issue for even JD, New Holland, etc.? I would like any advice on this Mahindra model (no reviews here yet), Mahindra in general, and brands in general in this category, especially as it pertains to reliability and future parts availability.

If money was no object (not that it's not), what new tractor would you buy in the 45 HP PTO class? I am mostly mowing in an orchard, so a cab and even a sun shade is out due to tree limbs. Also, I want to get a grapple out front, so recommendations there are welcome too. While looking at the Mahindra, I noticed that they offer a grapple, but some online said it was rather light duty -- which is all I probably need, mostly picking up piles of fallen limbs -- but is there a hands-down "get this one" recommendation?

Any advice on any/all of the above would be greatly appreciated. I thought my Massey would be a once in a lifetime purchase, and I have kept it like a baby, but electrical failures got to it and I can't find parts anywhere (and I've looked everywhere) -- so this will be another once in a lifetime purchase for me and I don't want any regrets, and am willing to pay extra for that outcome.

Thank you!
WorkMaster 50 (New Holland)

/ Need Suggestions for 45 HP #53  
New Holland WorkMaster 50 with loader and 8 ft box blade. Tall tree with cable wrapped as high as possible hooked to box blade. Tree down, stump up. Saw and split. Has the power to spin all four wheels and the extra weight to pull until the wheels break traction. 53 hp motor and 45 pto power.

Attachments

• 7FB30669-A121-4484-B347-72F935FDCDA3.jpeg
    7FB30669-A121-4484-B347-72F935FDCDA3.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 104
  • 1E62A7E1-A8BF-45A2-982A-1EAADDCA3A8B.jpeg
    1E62A7E1-A8BF-45A2-982A-1EAADDCA3A8B.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 80
  • A8D90873-C3F2-4C6C-942B-5616B615AD15.jpeg
    A8D90873-C3F2-4C6C-942B-5616B615AD15.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 77
  • 78AB79CF-ECE7-41AE-8B3F-1498ADDAC905.jpeg
    78AB79CF-ECE7-41AE-8B3F-1498ADDAC905.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 84
   / Need Suggestions for 45 HP #54  
one of the most common causes for engine failure is heat, a second one is movement related wear. the hottest and fastest spinning item on a turbo engine will be the turbo, and they are a major maintenance item, the 5100 series service manual has an entire section devoted to do's and don'ts about owning and operating the turbo 5155. Things like getting the turbo wet right after it has been running or shutting the tractor off without letting it cool first or powering it up without letting it warm up first are all more complicated with a turbo. Outside of that i love me a turbo or supercharger you get more hp and i love the racket it makes (i have corvette with a roots blown ls1). On a tractor i do not need that much power, 45 hp is more than i need, so why complicate my life more. if you need more power then IMO get the turbo and deal with the added maintenance, but i got from your post that you do not need the additional hp. my dealer (and i think i believe him) stated that the 5145 would handle a 12' rotary cutter on level ground near sea level. If you are up in the higher elevations IMO a turbo makes a lot of sense.

/ Need Suggestions for 45 HP #55  
I am considering the new Mahindra 5145 (45 HP). I am concerned about future availability of parts. I got burned buying a MF 451 years ago that was made in Brazil (I didn't know) and now it is very hard to find parts for it. The Massey is a separate story, but now I am worried about getting parts some day for this foreign brand. Is discontinued parts an issue for even JD, New Holland, etc.? I would like any advice on this Mahindra model (no reviews here yet), Mahindra in general, and brands in general in this category, especially as it pertains to reliability and future parts availability.

If money was no object (not that it's not), what new tractor would you buy in the 45 HP PTO class? I am mostly mowing in an orchard, so a cab and even a sun shade is out due to tree limbs. Also, I want to get a grapple out front, so recommendations there are welcome too. While looking at the Mahindra, I noticed that they offer a grapple, but some online said it was rather light duty -- which is all I probably need, mostly picking up piles of fallen limbs -- but is there a hands-down "get this one" recommendation?

Any advice on any/all of the above would be greatly appreciated. I thought my Massey would be a once in a lifetime purchase, and I have kept it like a baby, but electrical failures got to it and I can't find parts anywhere (and I've looked everywhere) -- so this will be another once in a lifetime purchase for me and I don't want any regrets, and am willing to pay extra for that outcome.

Thank you!

Massey-Ferguson has unfortunately really gone downhill since the '80s when the company had a bunch of financial problems. They changed ownership more than once before AGCO bought them and AGCO has been pretty poor with parts for older tractors. You would do fine with, say, a MF 135 where the aftermarket makes a bunch of parts, but if you get one of the lower-volume models like your 451, you are out of luck. I found that one out firsthand in the past too.

Deere has extensive parts availability, although they have less availability for parts on some of the third-party stuff they rebranded like the Yanmar-made compacts they had in the '80s through the 2000s. They have good availability on anything they themselves made. CaseIH and New Holland have pretty decent availability on parts for implements, and the little we've needed tractor parts for relatively newer units, they've had them.

You have a bunch of choices in a ~45 PTO HP open station utility tractor- Deere 5055E, the CaseIH Farmall 50A/NH Workmaster 50, Kubota M5660 or M6060, just to name a few from the big players. I have a Deere 5075E (same tractor as the 5055E but with different engine tuning) and it's a nice, solid, maneuverable machine I would not hesitate to recommend. I mainly picked it over the CNH twins because the Deere dealer chain actually had tractors and wanted to sell them, and Kubota only makes the M7060 with options I didn't need and didn't want to pay for.

Sorry to burst your bubble but if it has not changed Massey is Japanese they started out with the two cylinders were Toyosha, then they went out and the three cylinders were Iseki and as far as I know still are.

Massey-Ferguson's compacts started out with the Toyoshas for the first (10xx) series of compacts they made. They were all three-cylinder machines. The Isekis came after that for the 11xx through the 16xx series, and they make the current 18xx series, but didn't Shibaura make the 17xx series?

Last edited:
   / Need Suggestions for 45 HP #56  
YT347 Yanmar.

/ Need Suggestions for 45 HP #57  
Massey-Ferguson has unfortunately really gone downhill since the '80s when the company had a bunch of financial problems. They changed ownership more than once before AGCO bought them and AGCO has been pretty poor with parts for older tractors. You would do fine with, say, a MF 135 where the aftermarket makes a bunch of parts, but if you get one of the lower-volume models like your 451, you are out of luck. I found that one out firsthand in the past too.

Deere has extensive parts availability, although they have less availability for parts on some of the third-party stuff they rebranded like the Yanmar-made compacts they had in the '80s through the 2000s. They have good availability on anything they themselves made. CaseIH and New Holland have pretty decent availability on parts for implements, and the little we've needed tractor parts for relatively newer units, they've had them.

You have a bunch of choices in a ~45 PTO HP open station utility tractor- Deere 5055E, the CaseIH Farmall 50A/NH Workmaster 50, Kubota M5660 or M6060, just to name a few from the big players. I have a Deere 5075E (same tractor as the 5055E but with different engine tuning) and it's a nice, solid, maneuverable machine I would not hesitate to recommend. I mainly picked it over the CNH twins because the Deere dealer chain actually had tractors and wanted to sell them, and Kubota only makes the M7060 with options I didn't need and didn't want to pay for.

Massey-Ferguson's compacts started out with the Toyoshas for the first (10xx) series of compacts they made. They were all three-cylinder machines. The Isekis came after that for the 11xx through the 16xx series, and they make the current 18xx series, but didn't Shibaura make the 17xx series?
Yes, Shibaura made the 17xx Series. As I understand it, Iseki was struggling with the T4 implementation so MF went elsewhere for the compact line but presumably got it worked out to gain back 18xx models. My 1250 Iseki built Massey was a reliable workhorse that gave me very little trouble in the 27 years that I owned it. It was still running strong when I sold it last year. Nice little tractor.

/ Need Suggestions for 45 HP #58  
There are a lot of options in the 45-50 hp range. I like my Kubota L4701. Better yet, I like the dealer, and 0% interest - 5 years and the insurance which covers theft and other damages up to your original cost while financed.

Or maybe even an MX if you want to increase hp.
There are many good choices. Good Luck.

/ Need Suggestions for 45 HP #59  

/ Need Suggestions for 45 HP #60  

What do you consider old?
I have an 18 year old Massey and parts are same day or overnight. AGCO has been excellent for me.

To the OP: are you only considering new? Or is used a consideration? The Case-IH DX series and the little Farmalls look really nice if you want a used tractor with no emissions.