/ Need Suggestions for 45 HP #41  
WR long makes a 3rd function kit for the 5100 series and that is what my dealer recommended / installed for me, the factory 5100 loader control is prewired for a diverter valve but it was not available at the time and IMO is not as good as a true 3rd function.

I forgot that I discovered this the other day. The diverter valve kit is finally available through the Mahindra parts catalogue. It costs $2700, though, which is a bit ridiculous in my opinion. I had a WR Long 3rd function on my 4540 and I'll be ordering one for the 5155 in the near future. I think they were around $900 last time I checked.

Last edited:
   / Need Suggestions for 45 HP #42  
I absolutely love my Mahindra 1626 but in the mid 40hp range I'd go Kioti DK series. I'd also consider aTYM or Branson

/ Need Suggestions for 45 HP #43  
The mother ship is in India, and plenty of Mahindras are made in India.
Yea and i would bet that most of those have been good tractors for their owners.I dont care where a tractor is made as long as it is well built and holds up,

/ Need Suggestions for 45 HP
do exactly what you are doing, research ask questions etc then go sit on the tractor you think you want and talk to the dealer. I found out that the tractor that best fit me was not the tractor i thought i wanted, and the dealer/service manager was also a large part of the final answer. I spent more for my tractor and waited a month (local dealer had a 5155 on the lot also) for a 5145 from my local dealer that a larger Mahindra dealer 120 miles away had available, because I expect to receive better service, (i could be wrong but so far i'm happy with that decision).
Pearls, DaBear. I appreciate it. BTW, I'm at 66 ft. above sea level and generally flat, so my thoughts are turning back towards the 5145. I had momentary HP lust, but I really don't need it. My previous tractor was a 45, but I was only using a 6' cutter. I'm surprised about your dealer's claim of 12', but that question is now on my list for the dealer here. I'd be elated with 10' Good info about the drive line. Thanks again.
Hello, I'm curious about your Massey 451. That was a model I looked at seriously and it made my own "short list" back in 2006. I ended up buying a Kubota instead - which has been a remarkable machine. A keeper for sure.

Back in message #1, about the Massy 451 you wrote, "I have kept it like a baby, but electrical failures got to it and I can't find parts anywhere."

And that is what puzzles me. The 451 ought to be lasting longer than that. Another 20 years easy....Is it a matter of not having exact replacement parts? If it is just keeping it going, why not use similar parts? Most electrical parts from tractors of that era are similar enough in function that not getting an exact original part doesn't matter. The 451 is an old style Tier 1 mechanically injected Perkins diesel. I'd expect common parts.

Of course if you just want a new tractor that makes sense. Tractors have gotten a lot more convenient to operate in the past decade or two.

BTW, it's pretty easy to check Kubota parts availability. Messicks.com has every Kubota parts manual online along with number of parts available and price today. An estimate of when they can get is is there.
I've used their parts order half a dozen or more times and it has been accurate.

Right now I'd say the best bet for parts is going to be Kubota and John Deere. I have no idea which one is in first place. Both seem good. I have both makes & no problems with parts.
rScotty
The original electrical problem was the battery not charging, so I wanted to swap the alternator. Agco said it was discontinued and I couldn't find a cross for it. The local rebuild shop said the problem was not a winding but the internal regulator, which they could not help with. So I finally found an alt with the right specs -- admittedly, part of the problem was my own ignorance. Then, the new alternator was not getting exciter voltage, and the exciter wire came from the tachometer assy (not sure why), which also houses the hours meter and 4 warning lights. I assumed the unregulated voltage spikes fried something, plus the tach was reading nonsensically -- going to ~2400 RPM just by turning the key on (not starting, so no real RPM). So I started looking for a new tach assy, and they are discontinued. Although a basic tach function is generic, the integrated assembly is not, so I might have to rig something. But first I am going to dig deeper and try to find out for sure what happened to the exciter voltage (swapping the tach assy was the easy way out). I could jumper a 12v line to the exciter, but I don't think that will fix my crazy tach reading. Anyway, that's what I mean by electrical problems. This tractor is a lot simpler electrically than some of the more modern ones. Truly, the MF 451 has been a sturdy little tractor, and yes, I secretly want a new tractor anyway, to get a loader, etc. When I got the 451, I had a separate Case 470 backhoe (now also out of commission), so I only needed the tractor for mowing at that time. And the quick connect would add welcome flexibility.

Last edited:
   / Need Suggestions for 45 HP #45  
You are correct about current compact tractors being LS made except for the New Holland Boomer 46 and 54D (not sure if they are still in production but they are recent I think until 2019). They were Italian built. I was just making a statement that they are not all LS. Shibaura built tractors for Ford and New Holland starting back in the late 70's through to around 2010 I believe but not 100% sure.
Thanks for the info. always good to have more.

/ Need Suggestions for 45 HP #46  
Pearls, DaBear. I appreciate it. BTW, I'm at 66 ft. above sea level and generally flat, so my thoughts are turning back towards the 5145. I had momentary HP lust, but I really don't need it. My previous tractor was a 45, but I was only using a 6' cutter. I'm surprised about your dealer's claim of 12', but that question is now on my list for the dealer here. I'd be elated with 10' Good info about the drive line. Thanks again.

The original electrical problem was the battery not charging, so I wanted to swap the alternator. Agco said it was discontinued and I couldn't find a cross for it. The local rebuild shop said the problem was not a winding but the internal regulator, which they could not help with. So I finally found an alt with the right specs -- admittedly, part of the problem was my own ignorance. Then, the new alternator was not getting exciter voltage, and the exciter wire came from the tachometer assy (not sure why), which also houses the hours meter and 4 warning lights. I assumed the unregulated voltage spikes fried something, plus the tach was reading nonsensically -- going to ~2400 RPM just by turning the key on (not starting, so no real RPM). So I started looking for a new tach assy, and they are discontinued. Although a basic tach function is generic, the integrated assembly is not, so I might have to rig something. But first I am going to dig deeper and try to find out for sure what happened to the exciter voltage (swapping the tach assy was the easy way out). I could jumper a 12v line to the exciter, but I don't think that will fix my crazy tach reading. Anyway, that's what I mean by electrical problems. This tractor is a lot simpler electrically than some of the more modern ones. Truly, the MF 451 has been a sturdy little tractor, and yes, I secretly want a new tractor anyway, to get a loader, etc. When I got the 451, I had a separate Case 470 backhoe (now also out of commission), so I only needed the tractor for mowing at that time. And the quick connect would add welcome flexibility.
you are welcome, i will try to bring anything i find out about the 5100 series to the previous thread about 5100's so take a look there for updates. so far it has exceeded my expectations in most ways. Also i have a copy of the factory service manual (i would never buy a tractor without one) if you need some insight into the internals just send me a private msg.

/ Need Suggestions for 45 HP
you are welcome, i will try to bring anything i find out about the 5100 series to the previous thread about 5100's so take a look there for updates. so far it has exceeded my expectations in most ways. Also i have a copy of the factory service manual (i would never buy a tractor without one) if you need some insight into the internals just send me a private msg.
Sorry, DaBear, I meant to post that electrical message to rScotty. That's why it didn't fit the Mahindra discussion.

/ Need Suggestions for 45 HP #48  
No worries, I don't even know what you are sorry about. so far my 5145 has exceeded my expectations.

/ Need Suggestions for 45 HP #49  
You are correct about current compact tractors being LS made except for the New Holland Boomer 46 and 54D (not sure if they are still in production but they are recent I think until 2019). They were Italian built. I was just making a statement that they are not all LS. Shibaura built tractors for Ford and New Holland starting back in the late 70's through to around 2010 I believe but not 100% sure.
It is a typical progression of one company buying another etc etc. Like you I had a TC25D (and I worked it very, very hard and it just kept going & going & going. It was a little beast) and I used it almost everyday for over 15 years until I upgraded. I NEVER had any issues getting typical parts I needed. No major break issues just routine things. I have a 2019 NH40 and love 95% of it. I wish they did a few ergonomic things different but it is solid. And yes there is a strong connection with LS but I do not know all the details so I will not speculate. I have the owners and complete service manuals for it. I have decided to upgrade to a 2022 NH Boomer 45 w/cab. The reason is it is in the next "tier" up as far as frame size, larger tires, bigger loader, and way more lift capacity front and rear. I suspect it will be the last tractor I purchase. I have an AWESOME local dealer and getting a hold of parts or a friendly person to talk to has never been an issue. Years ago Ford bought out NH and Fiat bought out out Ford. Full service, experienced personnel, parts, and quality is why I went to NH (again). I was considering the 3039 but the NH45 is in a different (better) league IMO. Oh, all this talk about Regen etc.....total 100% non-issue in my experience. When the lights come on, the RPM goes up, I keep working, 10-15 min later lights go out and I'm good for another 50 hours. It is and has always been an invisible operation. I do not see why people have an issue with that unless their model/brand gives them grief. But my NH40 is no problems. Neither is the turbo, no special treatments, it just does it job. In short for me it's NH based on past and current experiences over the last 25 years. I will be making a video on the 45 when it soon arrives. YT has my part 1 & 2 of my NH40 reviews if interested. Hope this helps.

/ Need Suggestions for 45 HP #50  
Generally Mahindra is an Indian, Massey is Chinese, Koti and Branson are Korean. Those brands to me represent large risks in supply chain disruptions and parts availability. I had never seen Massey's up close to around Christmas time last year and was really impressed so started researching them, to many issues already with supply chain stuff for me.

JD, NH, and Kubota all have significant portions of their manufacturing here in the US and two of those brands have very good reputations and market share with no anticipated issues. Supply chain issues are everywhere but it doesn't seem like critical parts are hard to come by in these colors.

Pure personal opinion here but Deere focuses on large agriculture and Kubota focuses more on the homeowner/small land owner market shares. I would really lean toward Kubota in the 30-80 HP range. 80-130 it would be a toss up. 130+ I'd look at Deere.
Sorry to burst your bubble but if it has not changed Massey is Japanese they started out with the two cylinders were Toyosha, then they went out and the three cylinders were Iseki and as far as I know still are.