Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,281  
I tried putting my 3pt implements on pallets, figuring that would be better for the equipment in general and installing onto the tractor. The pallets rotted away very quickly, not sure why exactly, other than they were set off to the side out of the way next to the woods line, and it's possible it was too damp there. If I find good white oak pallets, I may try again, but they are pretty few and far between anymore. Most know not to put them out for grabs.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,282  
I tried putting my 3pt implements on pallets, figuring that would be better for the equipment in general and installing onto the tractor. The pallets rotted away very quickly, not sure why exactly, other than they were set off to the side out of the way next to the woods line, and it's possible it was too damp there. If I find good white oak pallets, I may try again, but they are pretty few and far between anymore. Most know not to put them out for grabs.
At least they were holding your implements off the ground, while they lasted.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,285  
RFP 01.jpg

assembly instruction & photos

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,286  
Finished splitting my wood today. High 80's temps and black flies were not part of the game plan. Used to be getting done by mid May avoided that but not this year. About 4.5 cord there. Still have some small wood the cut but I don't have to split that.

View attachment 746143

Nothing at all wrong with totes or bags but I still like my wood shed.

gg
I like the way you pile wood Gordon with sloped ends on the piles. I do it the same way. Everyone makes fun of me up here because they make their piles with square ends. They cross pile stacks at each end. I find it takes more time and you have to select the right splits to do this. Makes no sense to me. My friend stacks his this way in my field along with mine. Says doing this makes tighter piles to save space! Well in a 50 acre pasture I guess every inch counts.😂
Each to his own and all in good fun

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,288  
I like the way you pile wood Gordon with sloped ends on the piles. I do it the same way. Everyone makes fun of me up here because they make their piles with square ends. They cross pile stacks at each end. I find it takes more time and you have to select the right splits to do this. Makes no sense to me. My friend stacks his this way in my field along with mine. Says doing this makes tighter piles to save space! Well in a 50 acre pasture I guess every inch counts.😂
Each to his own and all in good fun

That's the key and I agree - sloped ends work fine. Especially on a row stacked 5' high plus perpendicular to the sun. That's how I know when it's time to put it in the shed - it's ready to, or in a few cases already has, fall over from the sun pulling on it.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,289  
Here’s a woodlot valuation class if any New Hampshire members are interested.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,290  
The criss-crossed ends were always a a time consuming pain in the butt for me. I stacked sloped ends on my temporary piles in the woods (usually built on parallel poles laid on down to keep them up off the ground, in case "temporary" ended up being longer than I had originally intended). We have limited space for storage for our firewood donation program, so we'd make "L brackets" for the ends of the rows out of 2 pallets. We'd use 4 foot pallets with an L every 12 feet. Two rows of 16" logs stacked 4 feet high made a cord in that 12 foot space, so we had a quick way to gauge volume. The L's on the end also made it easier to stack, so we didn't need to worry about the skill level of volunteer stackers. I liked it enough that I ended up making some for myself. I get about 5 or 6 years out of them until they've rotted to the point where they are no longer usable.

Picture is of the local Boy & Girl Scouts helping process some donated logs into firewood for our "WoodBank" last May:
IMG_2560.jpg