What did you do with your Power Trac today?

/ What did you do with your Power Trac today?
Used my PT018 to lift the cylinder head off my Ranger Perkins diesel. Somebody said it was aluminum, it wasn't!

Attachments

• Resized_20220516_132023.jpeg
    Resized_20220516_132023.jpeg
    670.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Resized_20220516_132038.jpeg
    Resized_20220516_132038.jpeg
    669.2 KB · Views: 90
   / What did you do with your Power Trac today? #232  
Wow! I never knew that the Ranger had a Perkins diesel for a few years. I guess that you must really like it.

Good luck with the rebuilding!

All the best,

Peter

/ What did you do with your Power Trac today? #233  
Wow! I never knew that the Ranger had a Perkins diesel for a few years. I guess that you must really like it.

Good luck with the rebuilding!

All the best,

Peter

I like the way you used the chain so the pull wouldnt be directly down on your lift bar, it took alot of downward pull off the bar that way and kept the bar from bending fron the weight. Smart.

/ What did you do with your Power Trac today? #234  
I built some 55 gallon barrel raised planters for my wife and used the PT425 forks to carry them back to the garden area, then dropped the forks and used the small bucket with teeth to get some black dirt and compost from our stockpiles to fill them. Very handy.

We have some sort of horrible grass/weed, probably quack grass, that we have given up on trying to control. Weeding the garden became a large chore. So, we're going to slowly switch to raised planters like this, and other forms of 55 gallon barrel gardening. Hey, it's a hobby!

I got these barrels from a flavoring company. They are food safe. When I hit them with the circular saw, one had grape flavoring and the other vanilla. Man, I've never had such a sweet-smelling project! (y) :)

Had the 4x4's and 2x4's in our stockpile as well. Pressure treated. Saved some costs there.

4D260AA8-AC47-42D0-90D2-44F0ABEE4697.jpeg

/ What did you do with your Power Trac today? #235  
I built some 55 gallon barrel raised planters for my wife and used the PT425 forks to carry them back to the garden area, then dropped the forks and used the small bucket with teeth to get some black dirt and compost from our stockpiles to fill them. Very handy.

We have some sort of horrible grass/weed, probably quack grass, that we have given up on trying to control. Weeding the garden became a large chore. So, we're going to slowly switch to raised planters like this, and other forms of 55 gallon barrel gardening. Hey, it's a hobby!

I got these barrels from a flavoring company. They are food safe. When I hit them with the circular saw, one had grape flavoring and the other vanilla. Man, I've never had such a sweet-smelling project! (y) :)

Had the 4x4's and 2x4's in our stockpile as well. Pressure treated. Saved some costs there.

View attachment 747575
Looks great! How are they fastened to the 2x4s? Do you have a drain hole in the bottom?

All the best, Peter

/ What did you do with your Power Trac today? #236  

View attachment 747575
What grape cultivar are you growing? Concord should grow well where you are.

/ What did you do with your Power Trac today? #237  
So I cut the 2x4s along the edges to 35", the same height as the barrel. I used drywall screws and washers through the barrel into the 2x4s. Then I used a circular saw to notch the tops of the 4x4 legs to support the weight of the 2x4s. Then measured the outer edge distance across the entire end and it comes out to about 29". Cut more 2x4s to 29 and put them across the inside of the legs to support the ends of the barrels from underneath. 3" deck screws on all of that. Then I shot one more drywall screw with washer straight down through the bottom of the barrel into each of the cross 2x4s just because. For now, I put 3 1/4" drain holes about 2" up in each end. We just had a large rain tonight, so I'll dig down there tomorrow or Friday and see if its working. If not, I'll increase the size of the drain holes to 1/2". I didn't want the drains completely in the bottoms, as I want it to hold a couple inches of water in the soil. It gives the roots about 12" of soil that'll drain but always have a water reservoir at +12" down.

All experimental, of course.

If the barrels start to sag, I'll add a longitudal 2x4 along the bottom of the barrel.

/ What did you do with your Power Trac today? #238  
What grape cultivar are you growing? Concord should grow well where you are.
Those were supposed to be seedless white, red and pink. They all came out to seeded red. In 20+ years, I've only had harvestable grapes twice. They were not as advertised. I just keep them around to feed the critters. But the two times I did get grapes, they made some tasty jam and wine. 😛

/ What did you do with your Power Trac today? #239  
I made another planter last night after work. Takes about an hour once you figure it out, and if the neighbor's dog doesn't come over and say hi!

/ What did you do with your Power Trac today? #240  
Those were supposed to be seedless white, red and pink. They all came out to seeded red. In 20+ years, I've only had harvestable grapes twice. They were not as advertised. I just keep them around to feed the critters. But the two times I did get grapes, they made some tasty jam and wine. 😛
I was going to comment on the age, good size so had to be there a while. I am growing muscadine and concord, the wine is great, never tried to make jam. As they produce more, I will give it a try. Waiting for the mulberries to ripen now.