Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #150,471  
Point taken...but still, blame the villain, not the tool...
And don't punish others because of the actions of a maniac

Soon we take away all cars for one drunk driver. You can extend the argument however you want. How about the guy who intentionally mowed down people in the Christmas parade? Didn’t see all the big mouths clambering to ban assault vehicles.

Maniacs will find a tool to do their evil deeds. We still have fertilizer and diesel fuel, at least for awhile.

/ Good morning!!!! #150,472  
Interesting comments I’ll only add do you gentlemen know one can fire a lever action rifle faster than an AR 15. I have seen it done. As Roy said an AR 15 is not an assault rifle. The loss of life in Texas is horrible and in no way am I trying to say that it is not. The problem starts at home with the family and is my opinion where we need to start

/ Good morning!!!! #150,473  
No disagreement with those sentiments ... but my take on it is likely just a bit different than yours.

The individuals that perpetrate these atrocities are certainly responsible for their actions in doing so. On that we agree.

On the other hand, to ignore totally the devices that they use to accomplish their evil acts would be wish-casting at best ... if not borderline delusional. Such devices are part of the scene ... and will be part of the conversation.

The regulation of explosive materials (dynamite, C4, etc.) in the US is something one sees very little public outcry over. That's probably because the destructive potential and misuse of such things is readily apparent to a majority of general public.

Large capacity mags, bump stocks, and semi-auto weapons are similar - in that they also have a high destructive potential and can be similarly misused.

The question will be what to do about it.

That is where the conversation will occur.

I would be remiss if I failed to note that all of the above items have legitimate uses - regardless of whether those uses are vital (protection of oneself and others) or trivial (personal enjoyment, sporting)

And on the matter of regulation of semi-auto firearms, I'm not so sure that it would be "a violation of the Second Amendment" ...

Was that holding or decision by SCOTUS where it was found to be so ?

I know they never reached the merits on the previous assault weapons ban.
The problem is some people (politicians) have an agenda...Ban! Ban! Ban! Basically, overreach...and with some, the agenda is much more devious. It doesn't take much to figure out who they are.
Y'know, almost any semi-auto hunting rifle can do what an AR-15 can do...some with similar capacity. And 30 round magazines are NOT large capacity (another lie by you know who), they are STANDARD capacity.
When one right is regulated, all rights are regulated...a very very slippery slope
I'm not sure how many AR15's are privately held, but I suspect it's several million (or more)...none of which have ever been used for criminal purposes
Personally, I own a few
And I'm not about to give up my right to determine what I want to possess

As I'd written, armed guards at schools...and trained to shoot to kill

/ Good morning!!!! #150,474  
65°F and .02 inches rain.

Nothing special planned, continuation from yesterday.

I do have to make a PO run and meet with a neighbor to pass Sophie’s walker. His wife just got home after 2 months in hospital fighting a hip infection.

Prayers for all
Be safe
Have a great day

/ Good morning!!!! #150,475  
Interesting comments I’ll only add do you gentlemen know one can fire a lever action rifle faster than an AR 15. I have seen it done. As Roy said an AR 15 is not an assault rifle. The loss of life in Texas is horrible and in no way am I trying to say that it is not. The problem starts at home with the family and is my opinion where we need to start
Then you have Jerry Miculek who can shoot and hit the target consistently with SINGLE ACTION REVOLVERS!!
Here's one:

/ Good morning!!!! #150,477  
RS, your place is just amazing.

Thanks.

We are making some progress ... but still a long ways to go.

Your garden looks incredible ... (y)

Great fun that your wife and you share the same passion.

Probably a better take to say that She puts up with me ... :LOL:

But yes, once She gets involved in the doing of it, She can become enthused ... and, quite frankly, often overdoes it.

/ Good morning!!!! #150,478  
We were out of potatoes so I dug one plant up. Still too wet but 2 days of this heat will dry the soil out. 7 potatoes on the one plant I dug up today.
IMG_0896.JPG

/ Good morning!!!! #150,479  
The problem is some people (politicians) have an agenda...Ban! Ban! Ban! Basically, overreach...and with some, the agenda is much more devious. It doesn't take much to figure out who they are.
Similarly, there are some folks who would prefer to do little to NOTHING (to the point of being obstructionist) ... beyond offering "thoughts and prayers" in hindsight.

Pretty clear that strategy ain't working.

And merely thinking/praying harder is probably not a viable response ... at least from a public policy perspective (although some seem inclined to it)

Y'know, almost any semi-auto hunting rifle can do what an AR-15 can do...some with similar capacity.
Which hunting rifles have a "similar capacity" to an AR-15 ?

Please define "similar capacity" while you're at it.

And 30 round magazines are NOT large capacity (another lie by you know who), they are STANDARD capacity.
... "large" is a descriptive term (and relative) - so it's really not "a lie" ... kinda like beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder.

The focus on such technical minutiae as these terms by gun enthusiasts is largely misplaced IMO.

It's performative, feel-good BS ... that gun enthusiasts use to pat themselves on the back for being more knowledgable than what they consider their lessers.

Yeah, technically one can argue that an AR - or similar type firearm - is not an "assault rifle" (based on the origin of the term, as applied to the German StG 44 and the derivatives that came after)

But here's the thing: every time such a weapon is used to violently assault and murder private citizens going about their normal every day business it becomes an assault rifle.

Or, if you prefer: a rifle that was used in a violent/deadly assault ...

Arguing over or trying to "score points" with this sort of stuff is really pretty pointless (beyond the back-patting I noted above) ... since it does nothing to dissuade anyone on the other side of the issue from the inherent rightness of their position.

Some would make the point that "they" can't be reasoned with ... but that's a sword that easily cuts both ways.

When one right is regulated, all rights are regulated...a very very slippery slope
Part and parcel of living in a civil society.

I'm not sure how many AR15's are privately held, but I suspect it's several million (or more)...none of which have ever been used for criminal purposes
HUH ?

Tree of Life Synagogue, Colt AR-15 ... to name just one instance.

This (above: no AR-15's ever used for criminal purposes) probably ain't a hill you want to die on, to use a metaphor.

Personally, I own a few
Ok.

And I'm not about to give up my right to determine what I want to possess
Then feel free to lobby for that.

But don't neglect being an affirmative part of a workable solution(s), should any present themselves.

As I'd written, armed guards at schools...and trained to shoot to kill
I got no issues with properly trained armed guards in schools.

We have them throughout society as it is.

/ Good morning!!!! #150,480  
Similarly, there are some folks who would prefer to do little to NOTHING (to the point of being obstructionist) ... beyond offering "thoughts and prayers" in hindsight.

Pretty clear that strategy ain't working.

And merely thinking/praying harder is probably not a viable response ... at least from a public policy perspective (although some seem inclined to it)

Which hunting rifles have a "similar capacity" to an AR-15 ?

Please define "similar capacity" while you're at it.

... "large" is a descriptive term (and relative) - so it's really not "a lie" ... kinda like beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder.

The focus on such technical minutiae as these terms by gun enthusiasts is largely misplaced IMO.

It's performative, feel-good BS ... that gun enthusiasts use to pat themselves on the back for being more knowledgable than what they consider their lessers.

Yeah, technically one can argue that an AR - or similar type firearm - is not an "assault rifle" (based on the origin of the term, as applied to the German StG 44 and the derivatives that came after)

But here's the thing: every time such a weapon is used to violently assault and murder private citizens going about their normal every day business it becomes an assault rifle.

Or, if you prefer: a rifle that was used in a violent/deadly assault ...

Arguing over or trying to "score points" with this sort of stuff is really pretty pointless (beyond the back-patting I noted above) ... since it does nothing to dissuade anyone on the other side of the issue from the inherent rightness of their position.

Some would make the point that "they" can't be reasoned with ... but that's a sword that easily cuts both ways.

Part and parcel of living in a civil society.

HUH ?

Tree of Life Synagogue, Colt AR-15 ... to name just one instance.

This (above: no AR-15's ever used for criminal purposes) probably ain't a hill you want to die on, to use a metaphor.

Ok.

Then feel free to lobby for that.

But don't neglect being an affirmative part of a workable solution(s), should any present themselves.

I got no issues with properly trained armed guards in schools.

We have them throughout society as it is.
The bull is getting deep
How long before this good thread gets shut down