Predator yay or nay

/ Predator yay or nay #1  

Tchamp

Silver Member
Tractor
Power trac PT-2422
I currently have a Subaru 25 hp engine in my 2422 chassis but am having issues with keeping it running steadily. Im considering installing a Predator 22 hp engine into my unit and see how it does. I can get the additional warranty to guard against failure or any other issues. I dont have any problem swapping it out and it cost less than half the price of a Kholer. Just asking for everyones opinions and experiences.

/ Predator yay or nay #2  
Well I'll speak up. I've had good experiences with these small engines. I've got one on my tiller now and it Is great. No issues. Cranks the second pull and idles down to a crawl. Set it up exactly like the directions say, I filled the tank a little to full and gas came out the carburator but there is a fill line I did not see. I love mine but I can't tell you about the long levity of it. Good Luck Tchamp

/ Predator yay or nay #3  
I currently have a Subaru 25 hp engine in my 2422 chassis but am having issues with keeping it running steadily. Im considering installing a Predator 22 hp engine into my unit and see how it does. I can get the additional warranty to guard against failure or any other issues. I dont have any problem swapping it out and it cost less than half the price of a Kholer. Just asking for everyones opinions and experiences.
I have a smaller predator engine on my log splitter. It was a direct bolt-in replacement for a Briggs.

I have no idea if there is a direct bolt in replacement for the Subaru. You'd have to investigate shaft sizes, lengths, bolt patterns, and other dimensions, etc., but all of that can be overcome with adapters and math.

How many hours on the Subaru and what issues are you having? Just curious.

/ Predator yay or nay #4  
Bring yours to a professional to have your issue diagnosed. The engine may not need to be replaced.
How much do you figure your tractor is worth? In the end would it be worth more with a Predator or Kohler engine?

/ Predator yay or nay
Bring yours to a professional to have your issue diagnosed. The engine may not need to be replaced.
How much do you figure your tractor is worth? In the end would it be worth more with a Predator or Kohler engine?

I have no intentions of sellinggonna go with me till i die lol, my wife calls it my Girlfriend. I just want dependability. I was told they have the issue of dying out from getting too hot, which mine is doing. (the dying out part) i have one of the 8 hp predator engines on my street blower and runs very well bit not sure how the twins do.

/ Predator yay or nay #6  
Give your gf the Honda gx series the predator is based on. I've used both in several repowers and way better service from the Honda.

A guy near me has 2 gx630 engines for 700. Brand new and one w 10h for 600. From an abandoned project.

Near Burlington NC. I could get them as close to you as Augusta.

/ Predator yay or nay #7  
There are enough reviews of this engine on the HF website and YT that would give you a pretty decent sense of reliability and potential issues.

With any new engine, very good idea to change the oil pretty soon after first few hours of use.

/ Predator yay or nay
Give your gf the Honda gx series the predator is based on. I've used both in several repowers and way better service from the Honda.

A guy near me has 2 gx630 engines for 700. Brand new and one w 10h for 600. From an abandoned project.

Near Burlington NC. I could get them as close to you as Augusta.

What is the hp rating, i live in Toccoa Ga

/ Predator yay or nay #9  
The gx630 is a 21. Never noticed a significant power loss except with the trencher. Thrifty, reliable engine.

The seller is a maintenance/service Mgr for united rentals. Not a lemon dealer.

If you're interested in them pm. Happy to help. Nothing in it for me...

The predators are OK....don't get me wrong. These are about 1/2 off.

Last edited:
   / Predator yay or nay
The gx630 is a 21. Never noticed a significant power loss except with the trencher. Thrifty, reliable engine.

The seller is a maintenance/service Mgr for united rentals. Not a lemon dealer.

If you're interested in them pm. Happy to help. Nothing in it for me...

The predators are OK....don't get me wrong. These are about 1/2 off.

Call me 904-434-9326