Today, would you buy an EV vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #251  
Zero percent chance I’d even consider an electric car or truck. Watched a video not too long ago from a guy who blew up his car rather than pay the $20K+ it was gonna cost to replace the battery. It just doesn’t make sense to go that route for me. How could I pull up to the deer lease and ask “hey can I plug my electric F150 in and run your electric bill up tonight?”

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #252  
Having been to Europe a few times, I think these are very different worlds than the USA. In other words they are entirely different environments. Folks that are dead set on pure EV conversion, are using Europe as a model. When I look at a map of England or France for instance, I have to remind my self that the scale of the map is much smaller than most maps of the USA.
It seems that this point is often overlooked. I would say that Rural folks and those who just want an outing to a landscape other than urban streets and suburban neighborhoods might resent this comparison to Europe if it means limitations on their freedoms to explore the vast spaces of their country. We should be an exception to hoaxes like the "green new deal"......lets be clear that's exactly what this is. Sometimes giving up traditional values is not so attractive when it compromises freedom. Once its gone it's hard to get it back......

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #253  
Can’t imagine being out in the back 40 and my battery needs recharging.
I don’t have extension cords that long!!
You can extend them by plugging one into another. Let's see, 200 feet x 40 is 8000 feet. If you buy 100 foot cables, that is only 80. At $50, it is only an investment of $400. Oh, wait, power loss. OK, we need to run about 4 parallel power paths. OK, 320 power cords. That is only $1600. You will have to make a "redneck power adapter" so you can plug all 4 runs into a converter. Wait, there is one big problem. Since inductive and capacitive reactance can cause cycle variations, it may blow up or start a fire.

OK, just having a little fun. While EVs may not be as impractical as I see them currently, I think a lot of innovation is required before we find a problem for this "solution".

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #254  
With many manufacturers now advertising ev, even in trucks (Ford Lightning, CyberTruck, Rivian) would you invest in an EV vehicle? If everything moves to electric, when do you think you would switch to an ev -- or maybe Hybrid. The future of gas and diesel looks questionable.

I bought a new truck in 2021. Things are changing. The V8 engine is almost a thing of the past. When do you think, as you shop for a new vehicle, you will consider EV as your best choice? Will that happen when you want to keep your truck 6-8 years and gas stations might become difficult to find?

Then there are EV tractors.

Just curious. Thought this when looking for a new truck.
Absolutely,
I own a long range Tesla model 3. I charge it at home. I get 300 miles per charge.

At current gas and electric prices, I calculate the Tesla fuel costs per mile to be about 15% of what my Diesel F350 or gas Ridgeline run. The Tesla is insanely fast, great handling, almost no maintenance, and very comfortable. Not to mention the incredible AI and self driving features it boasts.

Having said that, I would prefer an EV truck, so I plan to eventually trade it in on a Lightning or Cybertruck, if nothing better comes along.

Also, humans are responsible for the current pace of climate change and i believe it is our duty to do what we can to preserve the planet for our descendants and all the other creatures in our world. Clean energy is the right future.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #255  
If you’re still using you 15 year old, cordless drill (heck, a 2-3 year old cordless is almost obsolete!) I’d say go for an EV…

ICE will go the way of “whale oil” lamps… but not by way of government fiat… a currently unknown/undiscovered power source will provide the path…

I can’t afford to be a lab rat for some “bridge” technology between now and then…

on another web board I belong to one member proudly announced the current fuel price spike didn’t concern him… he had solar panels and a Nissan Leaf… everyone knows a solar panel install (along with the battery bank and the home charging station) are “free” energy… (my guess is: he’ll still be paying for that system far beyond this current fuel price spike)

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #256  
With many manufacturers now advertising ev, even in trucks (Ford Lightning, CyberTruck, Rivian) would you invest in an EV vehicle? If everything moves to electric, when do you think you would switch to an ev -- or maybe Hybrid. The future of gas and diesel looks questionable.

I bought a new truck in 2021. Things are changing. The V8 engine is almost a thing of the past. When do you think, as you shop for a new vehicle, you will consider EV as your best choice? Will that happen when you want to keep your truck 6-8 years and gas stations might become difficult to find?

Then there are EV tractors.

Just curious. Thought this when looking for a new truck.
I don’t think the electric grids would be able to handle a massive increase in EVs. They talk about blackouts and brown outs in different areas now. Imagine if we all plugged in our WVs at the same time

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #257  
I’m not a big fan of the idea but with the tax credits combined with the high and rising fuel prices I might consider one.
That's what they are counting on. That is the real reason for high gas prices. Be careful.....we do not have the means to produce enough electricity. We'll see blackouts this summer. The prices of electricity will go up dramatically to fund new sources and force people to use less. I've got no problem with EV's....just see the dangers of moving into it too quickly.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #258  
If shopping it would be something to consider but I'm well stocked with internal combustion vehicles at this point.

6% of market is electric and growing...

I think higher in Bay Area because you can't come to an intersection and not encounter at least one electric vehicle ..

I have several neighbors with them and they also have large solar installs so charge mostly with solar.
My questions concerning electric vehicles are; 1. what will doubling the current electric grid cost to distribute the additional electric load to tens of thousands of e-vehicles. My guess is 3 to 4 times what the existing grid cost. New power lines will be needed everywhere. 2. Where will the electric energy come from? As a newbie civil engineer 50 years ago I assisted with foundation engineering at 5 nuclear power plants just in the mid-west. They all have been, or are under review for decommissioning. 3. I also worked at one of the last "grass roots oil refinery constructed near Joliet, IL. Older refineries are also being shut down like nuke plants due to "environmental concerns". 4. Another small problem will be how to dispose of fiberglass wind turbine blades. These blades (up to 400 feet long) will need to be buried in landfills - recycling is not an option. These are only a few of the "free wind energy" issues that need to be discussed and solved before implementing a flawed system like California had that burned large communities to the ground last year. Dan C.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #259  
When the government gives up Air Force 1 and all the limousines and SUV's and go electric...that's when I'll consider it
Sorry to burst your bubble, but as long as we have a president we will never "give up" Air Force 1. Regardless of the fuel used, any aircraft becomes Air Force 1 when the president steps on board. If he takes a ride on the Good Year Blimp, it's Air Force 1 while he is on board. Air Force 1 has nothing to do with going green, climate change, or the EV vs ICE debate if that is the point you were trying to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.