Today, would you buy an EV vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #271  
Sorry to burst your bubble, but as long as we have a president we will never "give up" Air Force 1. Regardless of the fuel used, any aircraft becomes Air Force 1 when the president steps on board. If he takes a ride on the Good Year Blimp, it's Air Force 1 while he is on board. Air Force 1 has nothing to do with going green, climate change, or the EV vs ICE debate if that is the point you were trying to make.
Rather ridiculous post...

I'm aware of what AF 1 is...but it's mostly a 747...
The point is, if POTUS (and I use the term loosely) continues to fly about or travel with an entourage of very thirsty and polluting vehicles...especially for political reasons, he (or she) has no credibility.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #272  
Solar arrays usually have a battery bank, in fact they all do. I have yet to see a direct to inverter from a solar array type set up.
We had no batteries until last year, solar array installed in 2015. The big "issue" with solar and no batteries is that in a grid outage the solar panel inverter is automatically shut down to protect line workers so while you COULD have electricity during the day, you aren't allowed to. With battery backup you don't even know the power is off.

Some solar installations invert DC to AC at the panel, others (like mine) use an inverter attached to the house so DC from the panels to the inverter, AC from the inverter to the house and grid, DC to the batteries.

and my wife's car is rated at 516 miles per charge.
What car is that? Not a Bolt.

I bought a Prius Prime 3 years ago when my 2009 Prius was hit and totalled (second Prius I've had to replace for that reason!!!). In the summer I can go 35 miles all electric, winter is 15-20 depending on the temperature. I live in Vermont, we have winter tires and COLD!. Total range is 650 miles. I put just over 200 gallons of gas in it over 25K miles. Would be a lot less gas if not for two 425 mile trips to MA twice a year and the 1,200 mile round trips to Canada where daughter went to college. A 300 mile nonstop (other than traffic controls of course) trip to Bangor yielded 74 MPG so even when the electric range is used up it gets amazing mileage.

Bought a Leaf (range 220 miles summer) in August 2020 for my wife to drive to work - 70 miles round trip 6 days a week. Daily summer kW use is about 20, closer to 30 in the winter. We charge off peak for about $0.13/kWh so her summer commute costs $2.60 or just over 1/2 gallon of gas at current prices. Winter is about $3.90.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #273  
We already have a strained power grid and too many EV’s would equal more brownouts. The ‘head in the sand’ greenie’s are way short sighted as they try to shut down power plants and remove hydro power dams.

This. The North America power grid is already broken, and we're not going to power 276 million US vehicles by switching light bulbs.

We need to decide what the power of the future will be, and start building in earnest. We're literally putting the cart before the horse by pushing electrics, without a fully-thought way of charging them.

Yes there are charging stations now, but existing infrastructure isn't remotely close to supporting electrics on a mass scale.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #274  
With many manufacturers now advertising ev, even in trucks (Ford Lightning, CyberTruck, Rivian) would you invest in an EV vehicle? If everything moves to electric, when do you think you would switch to an ev -- or maybe Hybrid. The future of gas and diesel looks questionable.

I bought a new truck in 2021. Things are changing. The V8 engine is almost a thing of the past. When do you think, as you shop for a new vehicle, you will consider EV as your best choice? Will that happen when you want to keep your truck 6-8 years and gas stations might become difficult to find?

Then there are EV tractors.

Just curious. Thought this when looking for a new truck.
Absolutely NOT! Our infrastructure is NOT built To withstand the loads of everyone plugging in their vehicles etc. to charge. NOT to mention the cost of replacement batters when they fail or get old and will not hold charges. I had a Honda Civic Hybrid and had an issue with their battery pack. They wanted $3400 to replace. The care at that time was worth only $3500 so I traded it off for a regular Civic which now has 130k miles on it and is going just fine. Just because the Government is giving “Credit” towards purchase you have to look at the over all picture. They are trying to “FORCE” American’s into electric Vehicles but fail to realize where Electricity comes from. Good luck in your decision.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #275  
How arrogant we have become..."we must save the planet"...and we have the answers!!!! We have "the science and data" to prove it too.

We love the aroma of our own bullshit. "Experts" are issuing warning about status of our energy grid, but we rush to push EV's. Someone posts they use $15 a month to run their EV and we have wet dreams like horny old men at a strip club.

Man...I want a piece of that action!!! And it will only cost me $30k, or maybe $50k or maybe $100k to get some. No big deal putting up 2000 sq ft of solar panels (they are so damn attractive) and a wall of batteries so I am not held hostage by the evil power companies. I will have it all paid back in 15-20 years too. Must do my part to "save the planet".

I wonder if dropping $2000 in the VIP room can help save the planet? Running out of gas in the VIP room might be just as embarrassing as not having enough juice to drive the Tesla home on a -20 degree night. But as least my buddies will get me home from the strip club before I freeze my ass off.

If I did not have to suffer the reduction in standard of living, and increase in taxes to fund this foolishness, I would not care what people do. It pisses me off that is not the case.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #276  
With many manufacturers now advertising ev, even in trucks (Ford Lightning, CyberTruck, Rivian) would you invest in an EV vehicle? If everything moves to electric, when do you think you would switch to an ev -- or maybe Hybrid. The future of gas and diesel looks questionable.

I bought a new truck in 2021. Things are changing. The V8 engine is almost a thing of the past. When do you think, as you shop for a new vehicle, you will consider EV as your best choice? Will that happen when you want to keep your truck 6-8 years and gas stations might become difficult to find?

Then there are EV tractors.

Just curious. Thought this when looking for a new truck.
Im real sick and tired of this same topic popping up in my email every week now. It would be fine if people could speak the truth about it without getting their reply deleted by the admins. Alls I can say is if you think your saving the planet and you enjoy the new experimental technologies of the day and you can afford it then dive right in. My advise would be to not park it in or close to the house. They're having battery issues at the moment.

How to Survive an Exploding Electric Car​

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #277  
Would I buy an all electric car/truck..... Not anytime soon. They are costly, limited on range, limited charge stations, none of the mfg are on the same page, and they are very costly to repair..... Nope, not until they are proven reliable, the cost is equal, the grid set up for them NATIONWIDE, they can charge in minutes, charge stations are easy to get at, etc, etc, etc.... That said, they most likey will have a niche following for the next 20-40 years and THEN Maybe you might see 30-40% market share.... But they have been proven, in many cases to not add up to be anything but trouble for the average American owner. And, as I predict, "being an active volunteer firefighter' to be a safety nightmare in regards to fires and accidents...In fact I am going to a class on electric vehicle fires this weekend. They are burning more frequently now that some have age and more are on the road. The government won't talk about that issue, but it's coming very soon..Other systems will most likey make them a total failure as far as being popular. Hell, we can't even get natural gas powered cars to sell in great numbers...... The political left is going to regret the day they ever tried to push on the supposed "Green New Deal".... there is no such thing and never will be. That is guaranteed.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #278  
There have been several studies done already that conclude that bottom line is: fosil fuels are much less damaging to the environment, way more efficient, and way cheaper. But that is not getting any attention because it is more politically correct to just keep throwing tax dollars at it & keep those in charge rolling in $$$, all this EV and global warming suff is nothing but a bunch of hipe by a small group of wealthy elites trying to get wealthier at the expence of the common man and the planet.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #279  
I've been driving a Tesla Model 3 for 3 years now. Still on original tires. Charge from solar system.
Virtually no service.
Netflix, Hulu, You Tube Self driving, super voice control
I'll never buy an ICE again

Andy
Your Tesla Model 3 sounds good and I am glad you like it. But don't say you will never buy an ICE again unless you mean a car only, because I don't yet know of too many battery powered tractors that are available. I am sure they will come at some point with all the drive to stop the use of fossil fuels!

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #280  
I was with many of you, against EV's. Cannot replace a traditional internal combustion engine! What would happen if.... ??

That was until a friend of mine, one whom I simply believed was like me in this regard, bought a Tesla model 3 for his commuter.
"You gotta drive it!" he tells me. So I did. So many things happened in that short period of time:

First, I finally understand what people say when they talk about the power that an electric car brings. It SNAPPED me into my seat and I giggled like my wife tickled me with a feather.
Second, with its low center of gravity, the thing is on rails! I went around a traffic circle at 60 (no one else was in the circle) and it was awesome!
I asked about things like tires: "I go though tires more quickly than others, but that's because I cannot keep my foot out of it and it does weigh more" was his response. "But it makes up for it at the pump." he added.
Well it depends on what you are comparing "snapped me into my seat" to. Tires only have a certain amount of grip, they don't know if they are mounted on a Tesla or a Corvette. So yes, pressing down on the variable resister that used to be the throttle and asking the electric motor to get going is a lot different then your average Toyota.

But compairning it to the performance of a newer Corvette or any of the newer pony cars, there is no difference.

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.