House A/C problem due to breaker

/ House A/C problem due to breaker #1  

rbstern

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT225E, Yanmar 2210
Hoping to get a little feedback on what I experienced on Saturday.

Noticed the A/C wasn't cooling the house. Checked outside, the fan on the outside compressor unit wasn't spinning. The 30 amp breaker for the outside unit was tripped. I reset it and the fan came on a moment later. Didn't think much of it. We had a 30 minutes power outage the day before due to a bad storm, figured it must have tripped the breaker when the power went. A short while later, the house wasn't getting cooler. Checked the outside unit again. Again, fan not running. Again, breaker tripped. Reset it two more times, only to have it trip within 10 minutes each time.

It occured to me the breaker might be bad. The last time I reset it, I noticed an arcing flash. Looked at the panel. Had one other, identical 30A breaker in the panel for the dryer. Turned off the power, removed the 30A for the A/C, swapped the dryer breaker. Everything turned on normally. And stayed on. So, bad breaker, apparently.

After the power was back on, I had a chance to look at the bad breaker. Some fairly heavy carbon on the terminals. The A/C wire is stranded aluminum, and it had some anti-oxidizing goop on it, as it should. Hard to tell how well coated it was, but I though (by flashlight), the aluminum wire had some carbonizing on it as well. Set out to Home Depot to get a replacement breaker (QO type...$35...argh!) and some of anti-oxidant goop.

With the power off again, I undid the A/C breaker, carefully cleaned the end of the aluminum wire with sandpaper, coated the wire ends and inside the breaker terminals with the anti-ox goop, reattached the wires, removed any excess goop, and reinstalled the breaker. Installed the replacement breaker for the dryer circuit. Everything powered back up as expected and all has run well since.

Wondering: Was it a poor install job on that aluminum wiring that led to the carbonizing and tripping? Was the breaker just deteroirating? Any insight appreciated. In case it matters: The house is about 4 years old, and this is all original equipment from the build.

/ House A/C problem due to breaker #2  
Breakers do go bad. However usually when theres carbon buildup its due to wires not being tight on breaker. Aluminum wires are supposed to be torqued per spec on panel. Otherwise , if it were me, i would check tightness under every aluminum wire connection. Same contractor may not of tightened any of them.

loose wire causes arcing. Arcing creates carbon and heat. Heat trips breaker thermals.

/ House A/C problem due to breaker #3  
The start capacitor(s) in the outside unit is probably bad. My unit has two. One for the compressor and one for the fan motor. I've replaced the fan capacitor twice and the compressor cap once in the last 10 years. If you don't do electric, have it serviced. That cabinet has 240 volts inside.

/ House A/C problem due to breaker #4  
Test the start cap as tinhack said it is [possibly] bad but normally once they fail they are dead. My guess is the POS aluminum wire loosened up and caused a voltage drop requiring more amps to start the unit. I don't care what anyone says aluminum wire sucks! I personally have seen it burn down 2 homes so far. This is why they quite using it for branch circuits. Dicharge cap before testing it!!! If you have aluminum wire anywhere check the tightness of it every few years and more often where vibration is present. EG air conditioner. Or replace it with copper if that is a option. CJ

/ House A/C problem due to breaker #5  
Aluminum wire expands when it get hot. But it can't expand where there is resistance. And when it cools it shrinks. So it gets hot expands and cools moving away from the lug or screw that was tight against it. Over time the connections screw needs to be re-tightened. This could have caused the sparks you saw. Breakers trip because of the heat build up within them. Heat is produced by power (voltage x amperage). Excess power is caused by a loose connection (sparks).

/ House A/C problem due to breaker #6  
Wondering: Was it a poor install job on that aluminum wiring that led to the carbonizing and tripping? Was the breaker just deteroirating? Any insight appreciated. In case it matters: The house is about 4 years old, and this is all original equipment from the build.
Since the house is so new, I wonder if your breaker was an arc-fault breaker?

I wouldn't expect a loose connection & heat on the *outside* of your breaker to cause the bimetal on the *inside* to heat up enough to trip. However, many jurisdictions now require arc-fault breakers, and it sure sounds like you had an arc on the connections.

/ House A/C problem due to breaker
Since the house is so new, I wonder if your breaker was an arc-fault breaker?

I wouldn't expect a loose connection & heat on the *outside* of your breaker to cause the bimetal on the *inside* to heat up enough to trip. However, many jurisdictions now require arc-fault breakers, and it sure sounds like you had an arc on the connections.

It's one of a handful of non-arc fault breakers in the panel (along with the dryer, septic pump, furnace blowers). All of the living areas have the code-required arc fault breakers. Don't know if the code has changed, but when built in 2018, circuits serving non-living spaces could still be the traditional breakers without the arc fault feature. We had a lot of trouble with one of the arc-fault circuits during move-in. Electrician had to come back five times to fix a circuit that wouldn't behave. Finally traced it back to a kink in a wire.

Last edited:
   / House A/C problem due to breaker
Good tips, everyone. Going to make a list of any circuits in the panel that have aluminum wire, and make checking the terminals an annual maintenance item. The A/C may be the only circuit with aluminum, but I'll have to look closely to be sure. The dryer 30A is copper. I know the septic pump 20A is copper. I added a 20A 240 for my table saw, and that's copper.

/ House A/C problem due to breaker #9  
How tight were the connections to the breaker? Did you check the tightness of the connections at the AC? It may have been a bad breaker or it may be something caused the breaker to repeatedly open and go bad. Maybe it was just the connection at the breaker that was the problem. Maybe something else is loose or corroded in that circuit. With this being aluminum, suggest you take a moment to check all of the connections, obviously verifying that the power is off.

/ House A/C problem due to breaker #10  
Good tips, everyone. Going to make a list of any circuits in the panel that have aluminum wire, and make checking the terminals an annual maintenance item. The A/C may be the only circuit with aluminum, but I'll have to look closely to be sure. The dryer 30A is copper. I know the septic pump 20A is copper. I added a 20A 240 for my table saw, and that's copper.

There are many opinions and recommendations regarding dealing with aluminum wiring most of them conflict with each other. I am aware of no where that recommends annual maintenance.