Am I nutz?

/ Am I nutz? #1  

Raul-02

Veteran Member
the armpit of the entire universe New Jersey
Tractor
kioti DK4710 SE HST CAB
Lie if you must.
I have a concrete mixer idea. Skip all the rotating parts.
Get an out of date large propane tank or other tank the right size. Could be a 50-gallon drum.
Weld to it a frame to allow it to be gripped firmly in a grapple - or- bolted to the bucket. Maybe the latter is smarter. The orientation of the tank is with the long axis of the tank in line with the front to back axis of the tractor.
Then rig it so you can open it from the outboard end; preferably with a hinge so the cover doesn't fly off.

Then tilt it up with the bucket or grapple and fill with concrete aggregate and water, close up and get in the tractor to operate the FEL tilt & dump function tilting it back and forth to mix, then drive to the pour site and dump.

/ Am I nutz? #3  
Good idea but I think you'd also need baffles of some type that would cause the concrete to actually mix/flop over on itself as well slosh back and forth. Sorta like folding cake batter...'ya know when you mix ur cakes :), you take the bottom batter and bring it up to the top. I'm having a hard time to explain what I'm getting at but you want the mixture to keep flipping top to bottom so the heavy aggregates are brought to the top and have to fall thru the lighter to the bottom. Just my thoughts...............Mike

/ Am I nutz? #4  
I suspect it would be easier to Fab a drum carrier for the 3pt hitch on a pivot similar to a pond scoop mechanism. People have converted drums to mixers by cutting and rewelding part of the sidewall into a lip. if going this far, there may be some way to agitate the mix with the pto?

/ Am I nutz? #7  
The ACI has a qualification test to pass if you are to be an ACI certified concrete field inspector. In that test they have a device to test the entrained air within the concrete. It's called a Rollometer. Its essentially two cylinders with measured amounts of concrete, water and alcohol that you either roll / shake to mix the ingredients and read the removed entrained air. You have to mix thoroughly and have no stuck concrete in the housing. It is nearly impossible. And therefore the rollometer is rarely ever used.

Your idea is similar. It might work depending on how hard you shake. But the violence needed may rip your loader to shreds. Just like my shoulder.

/ Am I nutz? #8  
I'd rather do the 3 point thing, add rubber wheels that can touch the ground to turn the barrel like a push mower as you drive.

/ Am I nutz?
The ACI has a qualification test to pass i
all well and good, but you are talking to a guy who has mixed concrete all his life with a honkin huge hoe or a shovel and I know darn well I have never put that much energy (as you describe) into a mix and all my concrete has managed to serve my needs perfectly well (emphasis on "my needs"). And I ain't ne'er used nor heard of no rologizmodo gadget and wouldn't know one if it sat in my lap and demanded child-support.

Mind you, I ain't ne'er built no overpasses or highway construction jobs or skyscrapers and I suspect if that I showed up at such a job with a 47 HP Kioti tractor and a 50-gallon drum to mix concrete that they'd show me the exit, right quick.

I kind of suspect a homespun shake-n-bake mixer would do an even better job than my hoe or shovel. And I can only apply as much force as the machine will produce. Koiti does not have a fast dump feature (DARN). So it'll just slosh it back and forth.