Fatjay picks up chicks!

/ Fatjay picks up chicks! #11  
A friend of mine is heavily recommending the omlet automatic chicken door. There's a dozen $200 automatic chicken doors, but i'm leaning towards the omlet unless I hear otherwise.
I installed a strong chain link fence around the outside chicken run. Even over the top. Then I leave the door open to the chicken house during warm weather. We have plenty of coyotes, hawks and owls, but I’ve never lost a chicken with the strong fence

Last edited:
   / Fatjay picks up chicks! #12  
fatjay - nice work, I'm impressed

/ Fatjay picks up chicks!
Thank you! I try my best. I just want wood prices to come down some.

/ Fatjay picks up chicks! #14  
that would (wood) be nice for sure

/ Fatjay picks up chicks! #15  
Two things I’ve observed about you. When you go all in, you go all in, nice looking chicken coop.

The second is your user name. You don’t look fat.

Thank you for noticing, I have lost a few pounds.

I figure even if I build it poorly, if I over build it enough it'll still stand. Got all the trusses nailed. Swinging a 3lb sledge gently to put in the strong ties for hours is a bit tiring, my forearms are throbbing. It's my first time using them and I'll have to say they feel solid. But a pain to hammer in.

Took them all out and then realized I was one short, I miscounted. So I have to go get more wood tomorrow. Work has been super busy, I'm on the phone from 9am-5pm every day, so when I'm done, I'm done and ready to get to spend some time in the garage.

4sXUM0E.png

6clbFkZ.jpg

8JoReZ9.jpg

When I noticed I was one short, I had 2 decisions, either respace them to 20" OC or go buy 3 more pieces of wood and build another one. I didn't know what I wanted to do so I just flipped them so they wouldn't fall over.

/ Fatjay picks up chicks! #19  
I built multiple nest boxes in my coop then all 8 of my hens only used one of them. They will stand in the doorway and cackle until one gets off the nest then they take their turn. Go figure.

/ Fatjay picks up chicks! #20  
I built multiple nest boxes in my coop then all 8 of my hens only used one of them. They will stand in the doorway and cackle until one gets off the nest then they take their turn. Go figure.
The same in our hen house.