Plumbers in specific, does anyone give a crap any more in general.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Plumbers in specific, does anyone give a crap any more in general.....? #51  
Now the complaint is someone charging to give an estimate. Well, the employee must be paid to give that estimate, there is gasoline cost, vehicle cost, and you want me to ride around all day giving free estimates, with zero guarantee I'll ever land the job ? LOL
If I got the job, I would always deduct the estimate from the job .

I have had many ask if I buy the parts, or the A/C unit on line, will you install ? Yeah, For the same price I quoted you to begin with.
They buy on line, I have my guy install, Something is wrong with the unit. Now, they don't wanna pay, because the unit doesn't run ! LOL

Same with plumbing. I'll buy my water heater, and I'll pay you to install.
Install and the water heater leaks. Will you take it out, and I'll go get another one and you can re install it for no xtra money.

We dealt with idiots every day.
For some people, we would just give a high estimate because we wanted them to call someone else !

I went into the trads to make money, not just to live pay check to pay check.

Hell, I can sit home and do nothing and go broke, No need to work for cheap and go broke

/ Plumbers in specific, does anyone give a crap any more in general.....? #52  
Yes… rather than say no the diplomatic way is a price high enough to make it worth your while.

A contractor friend truly works 7 days a week keeping projects on track…

He said materials is a huge headache more so than his crew.

He has raised prices significantly lately thinking it would slow business some but it has not.

He had to replace a truck, insurance, buy equipment, test employees, mask, fuel etc… across the board all more expensive.

Last edited:
   / Plumbers in specific, does anyone give a crap any more in general.....?
Now the complaint is someone charging to give an estimate. Well, the employee must be paid to give that estimate, there is gasoline cost, vehicle cost, and you want me to ride around all day giving free estimates, with zero guarantee I'll ever land the job ? LOL
If I got the job, I would always deduct the estimate from the job .

I have had many ask if I buy the parts, or the A/C unit on line, will you install ? Yeah, For the same price I quoted you to begin with.
They buy on line, I have my guy install, Something is wrong with the unit. Now, they don't wanna pay, because the unit doesn't run ! LOL

Same with plumbing. I'll buy my water heater, and I'll pay you to install.
Install and the water heater leaks. Will you take it out, and I'll go get another one and you can re install it for no xtra money.

We dealt with idiots every day.
For some people, we would just give a high estimate because we wanted them to call someone else !

I went into the trads to make money, not just to live pay check to pay check.

Hell, I can sit home and do nothing and go broke, No need to work for cheap and go broke
Only point, if you charge for a service call or estimate, then you are not starving to death for all the work you didn't get.

Best,

ed

/ Plumbers in specific, does anyone give a crap any more in general.....? #54  
We've been having some starting issues with our 2014 Impala. Our mechanic trouble shot it and found the stater was shorted out. Changed out the starter and nothing. Found the computer was not sending a signal to the starter relay. Bad computer. Found a used one. Put it in. Found the battery wouldn't hold a charge and was tested bad. New battery. Everything works. About $500. Good to go.

A week later, it would not start again with same symptoms. He came over with his wife to get it, and it started right up. So he took it home and started it 20 times a day for three days. Drove it to his shop daily. No issues. Told me to come get it. 2 minutes later, he called back and said never mind, it finally failed on him. He spent considerable time wiggling wires and inspecting the fuse box. Finally narrowed it down the the starter relay socket in the fuse box had a loose grip on one of the stabs on the relay. Took the fuse box out, adjusted the socket, put it all back together, showed me what he did, and what to check if it happens again. I asked him how much I owed him?

$20 (twenty) bucks.

I'm gonna be sad if he ever moves. He's about 15 years younger than me. Hopefully I outlast him. :)
Similar problem on 2004 Malibu, mechanic hooked up to expensive computer. In half hour replaced wire cracked in terminal. Cost was $150. Technology can be wonderful

/ Plumbers in specific, does anyone give a crap any more in general.....? #55  
No matter which way you slice it,retires are being screwed by upward spiraling costs. Each dollar saved while working buy's less with each passing year and there's no way to raise their income. Retires should feel like suckers for not living higher on the hog while working then throwing themselves on the mercy of taxpayers when no longer working. Welfare payments annually increase 10 fold the % of s.s. and self funded retirement funds. Were I working now I would do it cheaper than competition but only if I was paid in cash. What I lost by reduced contribution to SS would be made up several times over by welfare payments.

/ Plumbers in specific, does anyone give a crap any more in general.....? #56  
I have wondered the financial benefit of 401k wage deferral compared to some of the pensions with medical my retired friends enjoy.

That big pot of money sounds great until you consider future purchasing power...

Managing subsidized housing for many years there have been times I think I would be quite happy living in a single family home I managed.

No matter what you are covered to a Max percentage of your income...

No maintenance concerns, gardener, discounted utilities, free cell phone, food assistance, full medical... several have bought brand new cars on the up and up...

The stress level is certainly less...

/ Plumbers in specific, does anyone give a crap any more in general.....? #57  
Only point, if you charge for a service call or estimate, then you are not starving to death for all the work you didn't get.

Best,

ed
nah, I charge $80.00 for an estimate. I send out someone out, they get paid, I have fuel cost, insurance, etc, So I guess I can buy a pack of crackers. So, I'm not starving to death.
After reading your post about why tradsman charges xxx . I would quote you an out of sight price because I wouldn't want to do the job for someone that thinks a business person should work for raw peanuts, instead of roasted peanuts

No matter which way you slice it,retires are being screwed by upward spiraling costs. Each dollar saved while working buy's less with each passing year and there's no way to raise their income. Retires should feel like suckers for not living higher on the hog while working then throwing themselves on the mercy of taxpayers when no longer working. Welfare payments annually increase 10 fold the % of s.s. and self funded retirement funds. Were I working now I would do it cheaper than competition but only if I was paid in cash. What I lost by reduced contribution to SS would be made up several times over by welfare payments.
I agree with parts, none of my retirement modeling included costs of everything I use doubling in 18 mo:(

The grocery store gets way more of my budget then I planned. And the gas station gets too much.

The equipment dealers get nothing. The lumber yards get nothing. The darn plumbers certainly get nothing.

I hold out hope that if there are enough people like me, prices will come back to reasonable levels. If not, I will do less projects............

Best,

ed

/ Plumbers in specific, does anyone give a crap any more in general.....? #59  
nah, I charge $80.00 for an estimate. I send out someone out, they get paid, I have fuel cost, insurance, etc, So I guess I can buy a pack of crackers. So, I'm not starving to death.
After reading your post about why tradsman charges xxx . I would quote you an out of sight price because I wouldn't want to do the job for someone that thinks a business person should work for raw peanuts, instead of roasted peanuts
I have always assumed that cost was passed on to the paying customers. It seems like charging for estimates is a more fair way of doing it, and would help to eliminate tire kickers.

LOL I think you either made my point or I made yours..........

An honest person quotes cost plus margin, same job, same cost without regard to the customer. Maybe cut the widows and orphans a break if you can stand it. If you previously don't like me, don't show up to produce the inflated quote.

Showing up for $80 and producing a bullshit quote is dishonest at best, and theft at worst. You are a solid +1 to my two prior experiences. And, I think you answer the biggest question of my post.......

Nothing you said makes me (and I hope anyone else) want to do business with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.