Road Rage, revisited.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #221  
You might be right. An acquaintance that had part of a Browning M2 50 cal replica exposed above his moon roof never had anyone flip him off.
I keep a replica Remington 870 shotgun in the gun rack of my pickup. Never had any incidents.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #222  
At least you have an emergency. :D

Years ago when policies made it advantageous for Canadians to do their shopping on this side of the border
Years ago when I lived up by Watertown and kayaked, we'd go up to whitewater events in Canada to compete and sell stuff. Each truck loaded with 4 kayaks, 2 which were brand new, never used. Each time we came back, each truck only had 2 kayaks (ours) the 2 missing were sold in Canada. They never caught on.

I find out here on this website I now need a visa to go into Canada LOL

/ Road Rage, revisited. #223  
I found out tourism not valid reason to visit Canada…

Seems lots of pent up desire for travel and so many co-workers jetting off these days it never occurred to me Canada still being closed.

Past visits to Canada found only very civil drivers…

/ Road Rage, revisited. #224  
I found out tourism not valid reason to visit Canada…
When I was a pre teen, me, my dad, uncle and cousin always took a trip up to Canada for Northern pike.

20 years later, found out that Canada has some wonderful whitewater (and black flies that could put Vermonts vermin to shame).

I just fell over dead to realize that if I want to take my son to the Canada side of Niagara falls, we need a passport LOL

/ Road Rage, revisited.
Not many things as peaceful as a corpse.
👍

Case in point... the day of the incident I started the thread with, I was also armed. Yet at what point do you decide that you need it?
Believe me, that day runs through my mind endlessly, especially when I look in the mirror and see that dent. (Over the course of the last few weeks the sun caused one to partially heal, while the other popped back out.)

Yet what would have been a better scenario? I could have stoppec and taken a picture of how his truck was parked, while he runs up and...
This guy had just put two dents in my truck with his fists while I was moving at around 30 mph. Had I tried to defend myself I doubt that I would prevail. So, pull a gun over a dented truck? What about all of the traffic going past in both directions; or somebody's kid out playing 1/2 mile down the road? I was nearly atop a pretty good hill .
\
That's why I believe that carrying for self defense means more than being able to buy a gun. You also need to know when and how to use it. For some, that's instinctive. For the rest of us it requires training and practice. How many hours per year does an LEO require to keep up his certification?
I've spent hundreds of hours shooting with, and burned thousands of rounds through the MarkII or it's predecessors in the time I've owned them. It's the gun I'm most proficient with and I can generally hit what I'm aiming at whether it's a paper plate, milk jug, or a bird high up in a tree. (Always with that tree for a backstop.)

Yet that doesn't begin to compare with deciding when and how to take a safe shot at a POed person who is coming at you- possibly on some drug- and ensuring that shot will stop him, or that a miss won't kill some kid eating an ice cream at the stand at the bottom of the hill.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #227  
My friend has carried legally 40 years in California with all that entails...

Only once did being armed come into play and the extent was brandishing which foiled an attempted car jacking...

He considers 40 years of carrying worth the 10 seconds actually used...

Last edited:
   / Road Rage, revisited. #229  
My friend has carried legally 40 years in California with all that entails...

Only once did being armed come into play and the extent was brandishing which foiled an attempted car jacking...

He considers 40 years of carrying worth the 10 seconds actually used...
I often think about that.

I was a child in my parents‘ car when I was maybe 8-9 years old and my father used his .45 to fend off someone on the road that kept threatening us.

On the other hand, I was held at gunpoint when I was 16. I managed to talk my way out of it. Had I had a gun on me at the time, I’d have shot two people.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #230  
It's almost a question of whether you'd rather go to prison for shooting the aggressor or hold your fire and hope he doen't cripple or kill you. Shooting to prevent theft or destruction of property is difficult to justify. Occurring at night or involving arson once made a difference in Texas,not so much now. Where shooting was once justified if perp was inside your residence (including motor vehicle, hotel room,tent,rv) you must leave through a window or backdoor now if possible. Even after depression was long past,petty theft carried over and was common. Dogs were preferred over firearms by many(still true) so there were cases of mauled burglars but few dog owners were held liable for injuries. You can see how all that has changed by looking at recent cases of police charged with murder over returning fire on suspects.