Looking to buy my first tractor

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #1  

Eugene Savoy

Tractor
None
Hello,

I am looking to purchase my first tractor. From my extensive research online and locally, most of my questions have been answered but I would to hear your guys opinions.

What the tractor will be used for:
40 acres tillable (currently leasing 35 of this and using 5 for sod/garden but may take it over as time passes)
80 acres forest
bush hogging
log yarding
snow blowing

Goals:
Want a tractor that will be able to work the field and go out in the woods and yard logs as well as general grading of roads

Specs I think that are priority

4x4
50hp
bucket loader equipped
3 point
remote hydraulics

Price range

Units I've found:
New Holland Boomer 8N low mileage, meets above critea
McCormick CT50U low mileage, meets above critea

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #3  
The Boomer 8N makes 50 hp?
Must be the special edition that NH made back in 2009-ish.

1657381954899.png

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #4  
Hello,

I am looking to purchase my first tractor. From my extensive research online and locally, most of my questions have been answered but I would to hear your guys opinions.
Gene,I was born on a farm and used tractors for decades. If my grandson asked me the same question(s) and I wasn't going to be there for him next week or next year I'd tell him the same as I'm telling you. Starting at the bottom you will need lots of help for years to come. I recommend you find a mentor neighbor right from the beginning. I or another old timer can answer questions on the net but could do 10x better if there to show you. In return you could do some tractor chores for me while I was teaching you. First rattle out of the box you asked about a tractor I've never heard of that turns out to be some kind of collectors special addition. Getting quick and easy answers sounds real good until you take time to browse this forum and notice how often member advice givers disagree with one another. How will you know who's feeding you a line and who's not? Could a newbie best learn tools of your trade surfing the web or apprenticing with you?

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #5  
You have not included your LOCATION as part of your T-B-N PROFILE.

1. Click on your "illuminated" screen name in upper right corner.

2. Click on SETTINGS in drop down box.

3. On left side of screen, click on ACCOUNT DETAILS.

4. Scroll down to LOCATION.

In all but a few states a McCormick CT50U would be considered the most minor of minor tractor brands. Replacement parts and mechanics experienced with McCormick maintenance would be nil.

A quality dealer, reasonably close, available for coaching, is important for tractor neophytes. Most tractors are delivered with a glitch or two requiring correction. My Kubota dealer is six miles away. I feel my local dealer continues to add value to my equipment after eight years. Dealer proximity is less important for those experienced with tractors and qualified to perform their own maintenance.

Two factors in CT50U's favor:

1) CT50U will not have Tier IV emission control paraphernalia.

2) Just sufficient weight, no more, to work forty tillable acres. Would pull mostly 72" wide implements = 2.5 (+/-) acres per hour.

Sufficient tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower.

Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

McCormick Intl CT50U​

McCormick Intl CT50U tractor photo
2008 - 2010 (two years)
CTU Series
Compact Utility tractor
Series:CT50U

Dimensions
Wheelbase:74 inches
187 cm
Length:125 inches
317 cm
Width:65.7 inches
166 cm
Height (ROPS):94.4 inches
239 cm
Weight:5,005 lbs
2270 kg
Ground clearance:14 inches
Engine Detail
Mitsubishi
diesel
4-cylinder
liquid-cooled
Displacement:153 ci
2.5 L
Bore/Stroke:3.5x4.1 inches
89 x 104 mm
Power:43 hp
32.1 kW
Air cleaner:dry element
Rated RPM:2600
Starter:electric
Starter volts:12

You will never turn a profit farming forty acres.

Can you afford the tractor expense of $30 per engine hour, assuming dealer service, as a hobby? If not, stay with five acres and enjoy yourself with 1/8th of the expense.

A tractor of 2,700 pound bare weight would be sufficient for five acres. Such a tractor could carry smaller trees out of the woods with the FEL and drag 2,000+ pound tree sections out of the woods from the frame mounted drawbar. (2,500 pound tree sections elevated with a TPH cross/drawbar, IF YOUR LAND IS FLAT, )

Very maneuverable, 55" wide tractor.

Last edited:
   / Looking to buy my first tractor #6  
Not sure where you are, but if you're looking at old boomers, check out LS. If your close (or willing to drive a bit) the following link seems to fit your bill with a few used tractors. As I remember, when I was looking, he had TYM's as well if you prefer chinese red to korean blue. BUT ... Jaxs' advice bears listening to. I've pushed my limits to the extreme with less work than you have ahead of you, & would have definitely benefited from having someone nearby that could have told me what did or didn't make sense -- ESPECIALLY if you plan on doing any real farming as opposed to simply storm clean-up, property maintenance & smoker wood collection.

Last edited:
   / Looking to buy my first tractor #7  
Hello,

What the tractor will be used for:
40 acres tillable (currently leasing 35 of this and using 5 for sod/garden but may take it over as time passes)
80 acres forest
bush hogging
log yarding
snow blowing

Goals:
Want a tractor that will be able to work the field and go out in the woods and yard logs as well as general grading of roads

Specs I think that are priority

4x4
50hp
bucket loader equipped
3 point
remote hydraulics

Price range

Units I've found:
New Holland Boomer 8N low mileage, meets above critea
McCormick CT50U low mileage, meets above critea

new tractors in that horsepower range are not serious farm tractors, so you would indeed want an old one. They don't make them like that anymore. (unhappy MF owner)

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #8  
he had TYMs as well, if you prefer chinese red to korean blue.

TYM tractors and LS tractors are BOTH headquartered in South Korea and BOTH are manufactured in South Korea.

Last edited:
   / Looking to buy my first tractor #9  
Eugene Savoy,

I cant disagree with any of Jeff9366 points other than I would have a very hard time believing, unless you got incredibly lucky, that you can find or will find a reliable 50 hp tractor, that can be easily serviced and parts are available for, in this crazy unhinged market for $25K. Since you have never owned a tractor before, have you considered getting some on the job schooling by renting a smaller tractor that targets the 1 or 2 primary uses and get some in the seat and under the hood education under you belt. My gut tells me you are probably looking at a $50K used tractor with another $20K in implements to fully do what you initially listed for objectives.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #10  
If you are serious about tilling that many acres, step it up to 75hp and get a shuttle shift, not a hydrostat. You can pull larger implements. 50hp is utility tractor size and I think you need to step it up a little. You could do it just take you longer.

Get a shuttle shift either way because hydrostat isn't really designed for a lot of tillage. I like the advice above about getting an older "Farm tractor". EDIted: rereading your post 80acres is wooded I see so you could get by with 50hp but you will be out there a while. We tiled 20acres with an old M Farmall and we got it done.

Last edited: