Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,541  
I got started on one of those loads of logs today, it's been a while since I ran the BSM, so I figured I may as well start out with the easy logs first,

Resized-20220709-140609-S.jpg

and those logs are making some REALLY nice 2x4's 6's and 8's!

Resized-20220709-141022-S.jpg

Then I cut and boxed the slabs for drying, so I can burn them this winter to heat my house!

Resized-20220709-141049-S.jpg

I'll keep milling a few at a time, as I have time to mill them.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,542  
Nice looking beech! Most of it here is diseased with nectria canker fungus, and doesn't look anywhere near that good. I had to look twice to see what it is.

Looks like beech in the picture but it is mostly soft maple. I'm not promoting any beech here for the very reason you said - it's all loaded with BBD cankers and dies young.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,543  
Been heating predominantly with firewood for the last 10 years. Bought a new house early this year and moved over 8.5 cords of wood. All of this was before I got MT225s. So I used the four wheeler and yard trailer.

Now that is a lot of trips !!! Very nice looking row of firewood there.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,544  
Looks like beech in the picture but it is mostly soft maple. I'm not promoting any beech here for the very reason you said - it's all loaded with BBD cankers and dies young.

gg

It's strange here. I have a lot of Beech on my property. Some of it is heavily infected, some appears untouched by Beech Bark Disease. In many cases, the two types are standing within a few feet of each other.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,545  
It's strange here. I have a lot of Beech on my property. Some of it is heavily infected, some appears untouched by Beech Bark Disease. In many cases, the two types are standing within a few feet of each other.

That's interesting. Maybe you have some resistant trees mixed in. The very few apparently non affected trees I have are loners and very well isolated from the others. One is 27" dbh.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,546  
We try to leave the trees which aren't infected, as they may have natural resistance.

About 30 years ago I worked with a couple of people who had gotten their forestry degrees at Syracuse. They had been taught that trees grown from seeds, rather stump and root sprouts, were naturally resistant to the disease.

I have one mature beech down back which is infected, but the cankers don't go very deep. When I get better with my sawmill I plan to open it up to see it I can get any lumber from it. First I'm going to get a chainsaw debarker, I know how quickly those cankers dull my chain and I doubt it's any easier on a blade. :D

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,547  
Same here, looks like 50% appear immune so far, both large and small. Still some good looking ash and elms left although over 90% of those are gone.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,548  
We try to leave the trees which aren't infected, as they may have natural resistance.

About 30 years ago I worked with a couple of people who had gotten their forestry degrees at Syracuse. They had been taught that trees grown from seeds, rather stump and root sprouts, were naturally resistant to the disease.

I have one mature beech down back which is infected, but the cankers don't go very deep. When I get better with my sawmill I plan to open it up to see it I can get any lumber from it. First I'm going to get a chainsaw debarker, I know how quickly those cankers dull my chain and I doubt it's any easier on a blade. :D
Get a good peeling spud or try using something like the bucket on a tractor, we’ve peeled floater logs with a cat blade corner before.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,549  
Forgot the camera, but broke out haul roads with the 450C yesterday and today and found a 30" wind thrown basswood tree with multiple tops that ripped down a large part of a red oak.
I came back with the M to recover the oak and then pushed the basswood out of the way so my haul road could pass through.
I will grab some of the straighter logs from the basswood to put in my future sawmill pile. When I get a sawmill that is.:)