Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,561  
Expensive way to move logs, but it for sure gets the job done.

I'm stuck, back at rotary cutting!!

Resized-20220713-145730-S.jpg

SR
With the major hay shortage farmers are facing, I can't believe that isn't being cut for hay!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,562  
With the major hay shortage farmers are facing, I can't believe that isn't being cut for hay!
It would make decent hay, with all the Timothy and Vetch in it, but the owner isn't a farmer and to be honest, there's no shortage of hay where I live.

Next problem is, that job is 50 miles away from where I live, so a long way to go, to deal with moving equipment for making hay, then moving the bales.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,563  
I've been removing trees from my house pad for the last two weeks sine I got my new bx23s. I dig around them, break the rots and pull them over with a come along. 7 so far. Those is a slice of the biggest so far. It was hollow from ground level up to about 5 foot. 2nd picture shows sometimes they don't fall the way I think they will.
I do not fell trees. I am too ignorant and scared and old (71).

I either hire out tricky ones (close to a building) to a guy with insurance, or barter with one of the locals who does a lot of felling.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,564  

Attachments

• 073CD326-9F7B-4C9A-B4D3-3C2DE6C07511.jpeg
    073CD326-9F7B-4C9A-B4D3-3C2DE6C07511.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 111
  • A3D5150D-3BAF-4029-B42A-894118CDBD87.jpeg
    A3D5150D-3BAF-4029-B42A-894118CDBD87.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 106
  • E0737BD5-7503-41B8-9DDD-19DCF54F769C.jpeg
    E0737BD5-7503-41B8-9DDD-19DCF54F769C.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 99
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,565  
^^^^
I couldn't load that last picture but is it safe to say that it was a challenge to split?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,566  
Well, I finally got a winch. 35m. But I must say the manual leaves a lot to be desired. I’m not sure how to work the brake when winching. If I pull on the brake cord, it sticks open allowing me to freespool. As soon as I engage the winch drum, the brake closes. It’s made that way. But just wonder what the brake is doing while I’m pulling.

The other larger issue, my pto just stopped several times. While the tractor was idling. Not winching. I had this problem for little while. It’s like there’s no adjustment. If I put the hand lever in the “disengaged “ position, (all the way back”) I can go around the back end of the tractor, remove the pin on the end of the linkage to get the linkage out of the way and I can still move the moment arm coming back out of the side of the tractor maybe 1/16” into what feels like a detent position. If I then adjust the clevis on the end of the linkage at that point, to allow the pin to be put back. If I push the hand lever all the way forward to “ engage” the moment arm in back of the tractor can now move forward a 1/16” or more . It’s like I can only adjust one way or another. And I tell you, on that moment arm coming out of the rear of the tractor, the one the hand lever linkage attaches to, moves no more than maybe 3/16” from fully engaged, to disengaged. The hand lever moves maybe 3 inches. If the slot in the fender was 1/16” longer, the linkage would probably move the arm engaging the pto fully.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,567  
But I must say the manual leaves a lot to be desired.
Yep, that's a Uniforest!! Somebody posted a better manual a while back. I can't remember who or where, but if I can find it I"ll post a link.

It's working just as it's supposed to, from your description.

Who did you get your winch from? If by chance it came from Hud-Son, on this side of the border you will find they are very helpful with any problems you have. Just don't make the mistake that I did and try to adjust it without knowing what you are doing. I messed it up and will probably never get it right. :(

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,568  
Well, I finally got a winch. 35m. But I must say the manual leaves a lot to be desired.

EDIT: Congrats on the new winch (y) You will soon wonder how you got along w/o it.

Hud-son said they made this video because the manual was so poor. Maybe it will help. It covers set up and operation - almost an hour long.

gg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,569  
Yep, that's a Uniforest!! Somebody posted a better manual a while back. I can't remember who or where, but if I can find it I"ll post a link.

It's working just as it's supposed to, from your description.

Who did you get your winch from? If by chance it came from Hud-Son, on this side of the border you will find they are very helpful with any problems you have. Just don't make the mistake that I did and try to adjust it without knowing what you are doing. I messed it up and will probably never get it right. :(
From Hudson yes. Winch seemed to work fine. I was rushed, and cut driveshaft, pulled cable out pretty well near end and pulled tractor up slight grade with brakes on a bit. I know I need to pull the brake rope to realease spool to haul cable. If I tug the clutch line after that point it activates the brake. If I stop pulling, the cable is not free spooling at that point.

It was as I was fiddling around tractor the pto Just stopped

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,570  
EDIT: Congrats on the new winch (y) You will some wonder how you got along w/o it.

Hud-son said they made this video because the manual was so poor. Maybe it will help. It covers set up and operation - almost an hour long.

gg
I forgot about that video honestly. Probably explains the ropes on it perfectly.

Right now I’m waiting on parts to fix my trailer and it’s broken spring. I can’t haul tractor no where. I’d like to use it to see if I got pto issues too. The noise coming from the winch sounds identical to pto if it’s not filling engaged and slipping. I have to look in rear of tractor to ensure pto is turning. I winches one small birch top out of woods near garage. Wasn’t large by your stzndards, didn’t know it was pulling it at idle.