Case 480ck crank pulley removal

/ Case 480ck crank pulley removal #1  

glennholden211

Tractor
1970 case 480ck
This thing is gonna be the death of me. Has anyone actually gotten part#8 off of part #9? Heat..(lots of heat), breaker bars and a couple broken heavy duty rachets later...it ain't coming loose!! Any advice or good juju sent my way super appreciated 😁

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220723-203722.png
    Screenshot_20220723-203722.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 100
   / Case 480ck crank pulley removal #2  
The advice may not be what you want to hear, but here goes....

I like to do my own work and over the years I've enjoyed saving a lot of money doing it. But sometimes a job just turns into too much. When that happens, I call my local yellow tractor dealer and have his mobile mechanic make a call. It costs $250 for him just to drive out here and back, and they charge about $100/hr for his time. But there isn't much he can't do in a couple of hours. He is real good.

While he is here, I have him do some of the service I've been putting off, plus any welding and straightening that needs doing. The guy is a professional and worth the cost every time. And I can get on with things.
rScotty

/ Case 480ck crank pulley removal #3  
Have you tried spraying it with rust penatrant?
Have you gently tapped on it?
Have you tried a breaker bar with a rubber mallet?
Put a jack under the breaker bar gently tap and
spray wd40 or something similiar?

willy

/ Case 480ck crank pulley removal #4  
This thing is gonna be the death of me. Has anyone actually gotten part#8 off of part #9? Heat..(lots of heat), breaker bars and a couple broken heavy duty rachets later...it ain't coming loose!! Any advice or good juju sent my way super appreciated 😁
Did you check the rotation of the engine. The nut may be left handed. Typically the nut tightens opposite the rotation.

• Good Post
Reactions: jmc
   / Case 480ck crank pulley removal #5  
The nut is a RH thread. Heat until the nut until it is nearly orange, then let it cool, so as not to distort that 1/2" square opening. I used a 3/4" breaker bar, with 1/2" adapter, and still needed a 3' cheater on it, and I'm a good sized feller. It squawked, nearly the whole way off, every time you'd make a turn. After a half dozen turns, could turn it with a 3/4" ratchet. This was on an old 310B with a 148 gasser, but still had the same problem. This was approx. 12 years ago, and resorted to good ole' Google to find the answer. Here's a link to search results for loosening that nut. https://www.google.com/search?q=D18...=AHkkrS4AAAAAYhmlP4OM9aXlbpqSRHGfbxCTMaqaiz7P Some suggest quenching the nut to cool it, but I just let it cool down by itself. Not down to room temp, but enough I could slap it with my fingers, and was still pretty warm. Some suggest using an impact, and to be honest, can't remember if I tried that or not, but do remember using the 3/4" drive, with 1/2" adapter, and cheater.

You may have a problem keeping the engine from rotating, I put the 310B in gear, and locked the brakes to hold the engine. If you have a torque converter, you may have to find a way to lock the flywheel, the engine compression just isn't enough.

I'm not sure if they put some sort of lock tite type material on the nuts from the factory, or what, But they can be a bear.

When it comes time to reinstall, torque the nut to 125-135 ft. lbs. I now have a '79 480C, and have the OEM repair manual in front of me, and that is the torque specs shown. Let us know how you get along with it.

/ Case 480ck crank pulley removal #7  
Bet my Astro Pneumatic 1/2" drive Thor Onyx would wind that nut right off. It makes 1500 foot pounds in reverse. Far as removing the pulley goes you might try a 3 jaw puller and if that don't work, Harbor Freight sells a dandy 3 jaw hydraulic puller. I use it on everything including frozen on disc brake rotors. 3 pumps and it's off and on the 4th pump it will break the rotor in half.

/ Case 480ck crank pulley removal
Did you check the rotation of the engine. The nut may be left handed. Typically the nut tightens opposite the rotation.
That's a interesting thought...thank you for the reply!

/ Case 480ck crank pulley removal
Have you tried spraying it with rust penatrant?
Have you gently tapped on it?
Have you tried a breaker bar with a rubber mallet?
Put a jack under the breaker bar gently tap and
spray wd40 or something similiar?

willy
Haven't tried the jack method yet...but I like the idea!! Thanks for replying