Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,691  
Number2

Attachments

• 20220726_200719.jpg
    20220726_200719.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 89
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,693  
Yes. Since I only have my new BX23s and these trees are 85 feet tall and 20" dbh I dig around them to break the roots pull the whole tree over with a cable puller ( aka come-a-long) using the height and weight of the tree to pull the root ball and the remaining roots loose from the red clay here in N. Georgia. Then I cut the limbs off. Burn the smaller and put the larger ones on the firewood pile to be split later. The trunks I have been cutting into 8, 10, 12 or 14 foot lenghts.
Are breaking all the roots or about 3/4’s of them out when doing this? My concern would be there’s no direction for the fall if there’s no roots left and if there is you can chair a tree up pretty quickly doing that practice. Myself I’d rather fall the tree and know exactly where it’s going doing and what’s it’s going vs pulling a tree over it seems like you’re more like to introduce risks with this method vs actually falling the tree.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,695  
Do you have to get all lumber used in "residential" (habitable) building graded and signed off by an engineer like we do here?
Not everyone is stuck in new York...

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,696  
Yep, nice little car Rambo!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,697  
I agree the codes make sense, and living in area with none means everything has to be looked at. I see lot of non electricians do horrible and dangerous stuff. Same goes for rest. Now I like to look at the national code exceed minimum and go from there. It is nice however to build a machine shed or pole barn without permission. Even house if YOU are willing to do the homework and make sure it is done "right". I know not to trust anyone to do things how I want and don't need to pay someone from GovCo to look at it.
Being able to do it yourself teaches you the hard way and you have no one else to sue. Many contractors are great a avoiding codes and fooling inspectors.
We have codes in the towns just not out here, where there are way less than 10 souls per SqMile.
Agreed, some codes are very good to have, My house (I'm guessing) was built without the codes back in the early 50s, and fixing some of this stuff is a pain!! And they used in-consistent rough sawn lumber for the outbuildings so to get a straight wall I have to fir things out or something more creative!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,698  
I thinks codes are good but having to ask/pay for permission to build and then paying to someone check after you is not. We just allowed the government to become our parents rather and becoming an adult.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,699  
Skeans.. yes I do leave a few roots on the side I want thetree to fall to. Plus I attach my come-a-long 15+- feet above ground pull with. Nothing in the area to be damaged by tree falling in the wrong direction but my pride.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,700  
Are breaking all the roots or about 3/4’s of them out when doing this? My concern would be there’s no direction for the fall if there’s no roots left and if there is you can chair a tree up pretty quickly doing that practice. Myself I’d rather fall the tree and know exactly where it’s going doing and what’s it’s going vs pulling a tree over it seems like you’re more like to introduce risks with this method vs actually falling the tree.
I do not fell trees. I have seen and heard of too many situations that go wrong. I let people who know what they are doing and have insurance fell trees close to buildings. I let people who think they know what they are doing fell trees that cannot do any damage if they screw up. BTW had a so called "arborist" fell a tree near a pond and he dropped it 90* to where it should have fallen. I could tell, even with my limited knowledge, he was going about it the wrong way. Stuff happens.

As to Rambo...your comments are wise and worth heeding if the direction of fall is important. In his case, he has a tiny tractor and needs to get the root ball out with what he has. He has come up with a way that works even if it is not the "right" way or very efficient. It is interesting to see how others solve problems. I can afford to pay someone to get critical jobs done that are not in my wheelhouse. Not everyone can.

Others can learn from posts like his. Your post is also important to remind others of the dangers of "going off the reservation" so to speak.