Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,681  
Resized-20220725-153028-S.jpg
I don't think that trailer is going to roll all that easy...

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,682  
It was another nice day out today, I made lumber!

Here's one of the logs, headed to the BSM,

Resized-20220725-124641-S.jpg

With it loaded on the mills deck, I made the first cut,

and then went around, taking slabs off to make a cant,

With a cant made, I started taking 2x12's off,

With a few more logs milled, I started to get a nice pile of lumber built up!

All of the slabs, get cut up for firewood,

SR
Do you have to get all lumber used in "residential" (habitable) building graded and signed off by an engineer like we do here? If a building inspector walks on a site he needs to see all the grade stamps on the lumber. If no stamp, then (s)he needs a letter from an engineer who is certified to grade lumber stating that it is ok to use for the application.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,683  
Working on firewood for two years hence... Fresh cut red oak.

Attachments

• IMG_1309.JPG
    IMG_1309.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 77
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,684  
Do you have to get all lumber used in "residential" (habitable) building graded and signed off by an engineer like we do here? If a building inspector walks on a site he needs to see all the grade stamps on the lumber. If no stamp, then (s)he needs a letter from an engineer who is certified to grade lumber stating that it is ok to use for the application.
Sorry made me laugh. While I do not know the OPs situation, out where I live we don't have that. Actually we don't have building codes, permits, inspections or any of that stuff. I have 92 acres and if I want a new sewer system, road, building, electric, well or water lines, I just do it or hire it out. Now the county assessor visits every property every year or two in person to see if they can charge your more.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,685  
Little more firewood action this morning before heading to work.
PXL_20220726_160933428.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,686  
Opening up a new spot for a new and improved firewood shed. Trees are cut into 8' lengths and hauled to the BSM for later sawing. The small stuff gets cut up for firewood. The really small stuff and branches go through the chipper and get piled up for composting.

Used the excavator to knock over the bigger trees, dig out the stumps and pile the logs up next to the driveway. The tractor was used for hauling the stumps to the burn pile, the logs to the BSM log deck and for chipping the leftovers.
IMG_0493.JPG
IMG_0496.JPG
IMG_0495.JPG

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,687  
Short answer is yes, IF it's for a house, but not if it's used in an outbuilding or a barn.

I know guys that mill out a couple houses and then pay a grader to come in and grade stamp the lumber. I know a guy that took the course and stamps his own lumber, and I know a guy that got some lumber graded, then copied the stamp and stamped a huge pile of lumber himself. I looked at his lumber, he's not stamping crap lumber to get rid of it, he's milling out some nice lumber but just doesn't like the law. lol

I think a lot of folks here, buy graded lumber for the shell (load bearing) and then use non stamped lumber for the rest...

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,688  
Sorry made me laugh. While I do not know the OPs situation, out where I live we don't have that. Actually we don't have building codes, permits, inspections or any of that stuff. I have 92 acres and if I want a new sewer system, road, building, electric, well or water lines, I just do it or hire it out. Now the county assessor visits every property every year or two in person to see if they can charge your more.
"Some" building codes don't bother me at all. I've seen plenty of buildings that were built in no code areas by homeowners, and most were everything from terrible to scary built.

There are you-tube channels of some of those areas, like one in Louisiana that is now milling out 4x4's from pine and sticking them in the ground and cementing them in! They don't believe they will rot and have several buildings built this way, including their house.

That's just one example where minimal building codes wouldn't hurt.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,689  
"Some" building codes don't bother me at all. I've seen plenty of buildings that were built in no code areas by homeowners, and most were everything from terrible to scary built.

There are you-tube channels of some of those areas, like one in Louisiana that is now milling out 4x4's from pine and sticking them in the ground and cementing them in! They don't believe they will rot and have several buildings built this way, including their house.

That's just one example where minimal building codes wouldn't hurt.

SR
I agree the codes make sense, and living in area with none means everything has to be looked at. I see lot of non electricians do horrible and dangerous stuff. Same goes for rest. Now I like to look at the national code exceed minimum and go from there. It is nice however to build a machine shed or pole barn without permission. Even house if YOU are willing to do the homework and make sure it is done "right". I know not to trust anyone to do things how I want and don't need to pay someone from GovCo to look at it.
Being able to do it yourself teaches you the hard way and you have no one else to sue. Many contractors are great a avoiding codes and fooling inspectors.
We have codes in the towns just not out here, where there are way less than 10 souls per SqMile.