Can I test/measure the load at my generator?

/ Can I test/measure the load at my generator? #1  

Rebeldad1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti Tractor, John Deere Mower,New Holland Mini Excavator
Is there a way when the generator is running with a load to measure the load ? at the generator itself?

/ Can I test/measure the load at my generator? #2  
It depends on your generator wiring. Is there a open wire were a clamp on amp meter can hung.
A plug connector can be modified to provide a loop of wire.
Or if using a transfer switch there is usually a location that can be accessed for a clamp on amp meter.
If you are using 120 volt cord connections you can get adapters to fit the receptacles.
many of them have a winding to increase the value by a factor of ten to be more accurate.
https://www.amazon.com/Line-Splitte...ocphy=1023191&hvtargid=pla-306887699938&psc=1

/ Can I test/measure the load at my generator? #3  
absolutely, dificulty depends on degree of accuracy you seek, ideally for watts you need the volts and the current to be measured, for most applications though given the volts are somewhat regulated the current is generally sufficient to give you an idea of load, of course you then need to know how much is going to the chrgine the battery and how much is running auxilaries, i basic way is to use a length of the feed cable to the altinator/generator as a shunt, then connect a light gauge wire at each end of the cable, a meters millivolts will be a ratio of the voltage drip along that piece of cable. you will need to do the math for your particular scenario.

/ Can I test/measure the load at my generator? #4  
Just measure volts and current. I installed a power meter on mine but it's not necessary.

/ Can I test/measure the load at my generator? #5  
It depends on your generator wiring. Is there a open wire were a clamp on amp meter can hung.
A plug connector can be modified to provide a loop of wire.
Or if using a transfer switch there is usually a location that can be accessed for a clamp on amp meter.
If you are using 120 volt cord connections you can get adapters to fit the receptacles.
many of them have a winding to increase the value by a factor of ten to be more accurate.
https://www.amazon.com/Line-Splitte...ocphy=1023191&hvtargid=pla-306887699938&psc=1
That would be handy! (y)

/ Can I test/measure the load at my generator? #6  
Alternative to test "load" on genny may be to look at nomenclature tag of device(s) you are trying to power up and adding them together to see if it exceeds rating of generator...

/ Can I test/measure the load at my generator? #7  
I use a Fluke clamp meter to ascertain output amps (or input amps) on my equipment.

/ Can I test/measure the load at my generator? #8  
Just measure volts and current. I installed a power meter on mine but it's not necessary.
correct. You should already know the voltage - 120 or 240 (2 120 legs). Install a amp meter to monitor the current draw of the tool you are operating with the generator. Voltage x current = wattage.
Or you could use a "clamp on induction" amp meter tool.

But there are cheaper ones other than Fluke.

https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-FC-Wir...ke+current+measurement+device,aps,146&sr=8-14

/ Can I test/measure the load at my generator?
a clamp on meter would be great but it wont work on the 50 amp cable plugged into the generator. My generator is 25 feet from the 50 amp outlet coming from the panel. It would be interesting somehow to have a readout mounted to the generator showing live output load.