Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #154,041  
RNG, find somebody with a Datsun truck, make sure it has working A/C, pay them to take you up there and bring it back. You can ride it some, and haul it some. Make a vacation out of it with a buddy. Use your $600 wisely. Stop and smell the roses. Mind I ask how much those things ballpark for? Is there a reason one would want the 800 over the 1000? I know little about beemers.
The R80ST was the street version of the R80 G/S, the bike that started the whole "adventure" riding craze. The ST has a 19" front wheel vs. the 21"er on the G/S, and I think the forks are a bit different, too. I'm hoping for a lower seat height on the ST. The 800cc engine has a reputation for being very smooth. The later 1000cc engines vibrate more than a horizontally opposed twin should because BMW didn't take time to balance the reciprocating mass of the pistons and rods. I've found that modern CNC machined pistons are almost perfectly balanced, and pretty much solve the problem.

Prices are all over the map on the STs, close to $10k for a low mile bike in excellent condition to a high mileage beater that's rusted and faded from sitting outside, which will still bring $3k all day long. The STs haven't reached the stratospheric levels of the G/Ss, which I've seen sold for $20k. This one was a particularly good deal because it looks to be in very good condition with only 44k miles, and it came with a $500 aftermarket seat and the larger 8.75 gallon tank from the Paris Dakar version of the R80 G/S. I paid $1500 for the last one of those I was able to find.

Finally found a shipper that seems reliable and uses a Sprinter van, but my pocket is another $500 lighter. Still less than it would cost me to run up there and back myself, and I don't have to worry about getting home in a truck with nearly 200k miles on it. Just have to be patient and wait another two weeks for it to arrive.

/ Good morning!!!! #154,042  
But I do agree that a liquid cooled 1800 RPM unit definitely is going to be better, especially for an extended run.
At the end of the day, we all pays our money and takes our chances. I got the same advise about the bad 3600 RPM aluminum engines, and even though the Cummins engines are imported from China, the reviews I read were still pretty good. My worst case scenario involves a wildfire approaching when the grid is down, the sun isn't shining, and the battery pack is empty. That's the reason for the big propane tank, and the extra money for the Cummins. I hope I never see that scenario, but if I do, it's a comfort knowing there's triple backup power available when the grid is down. The only time I've fired up the genny was when the smoke was so thick there was no solar production, or it was night, and I didn't want to draw the batteries down running the A/C. When PG&E shuts down the grid, I usually don't even know it unless I hear the neighbor's generator fire up. Oh, that's another thing. I got a sound baffle for the Cummins, and I can't even hear it when I'm inside with the windows closed, or if I'm outside around the other side of the house.

All this talk reminds me that the Cummins is overdue for an oil and filter change...

/ Good morning!!!! #154,043  
2022-08-04, 0347

62° right now...high in the low 90's and, maybe, thunderstorms

Spent about an hour or so on the phone with my health insurance provider. This was to discuss some bills they didn't pay which they should have. I think it's squared away...at least I hope it is...

Here's something interesting:

Last edited:
   / Good morning!!!! #154,044  
<snip>
We never had an extended outage in Vermont...we did have a 4-day outage once in Pennsylvania.
I have a 10kW portable (gas or propane) that has done the job...if a more extended outage, I think we'd just go to a motel
Unfortunately if there IS an extended AREA outage the hotels that are still operating fill up quickly.

/ Good morning!!!! #154,045  
good morning all.
going to be a hot one, 96 at least.
have nothing planned, no desire to be out in that heat this afternoon so will do something this morning.
I've been curious to see how potatoes in potato bags are doing, might pop one of them open today. All the rest are dug up, small and
disappointing with too many bug bites.

prayers sent for Randy/Toppop; c'mon back friend and tell us you are feeling better

/ Good morning!!!! #154,046  
69 high of 95 today very humid no rain

Prayers for all our Country

/ Good morning!!!! #154,047  
Unfortunately if there IS an extended AREA outage the hotels that are still operating fill up quickly.
Possibly true...we'd likely have to go to Lebanon, NH (about 25 miles south), if necessary.
We have several battery powered lanterns and an EGO area light at home
We've got 4 (7.5 A/hr) EGO batteries and 3 or 4 (5.0 A/hr) batteries plus inverters for powering small appliances and charging cell phones
We also have a wood stove and a 10kW genny. If an extended outage, gas for the genny could be a problem
Biggest problem would be no internet connection...that would drive my wife nuts. Other than TBN and the news, I wouldn't really miss the internet.
I reckon we're reasonably well prepared...

/ Good morning!!!! #154,048  
Happy national chocolate chip cookie day!

65° now dew point 63° high’s in the upper 90’s with a crappy air quality alert today. Definitely an AC day.

It’s been a busy week, last Friday and Saturday was pruning low hanging branches on my and a neighbors property, was a lot of work but went well with the two of us older folks and his son. The BX got a good work out stacking brush to burn this winter. Weather was in the upper 70’s but a nice breeze both days, plenty of water and rest breaks. Sunday and Monday were very slow mow and trim days, temp’s in the 80’s and no breeze. Tuesday spent part of the day weeding and saying ouch a lot, this body does not recuperate very fast anymore lol. Yesterday was a grocery and errands day. Wow, after rereading this I just realized how boring my life is! 😀 Today will be a good day to get caught up on this thread.

Happy belated birthday to Ken and any others I’ve missed

Enjoy your day everyone
Stay safe and healthy
Prayers for those in need, our country and peace around the world

/ Good morning!!!! #154,049  
Yep, I'm behind, too. Hope you had a good Birthday, Ken!

69 to 96 today. No rain today, but did get another one Monday.

BEF, good luck in the "new" job.

RNG, hope you're feeling better after your spill.

Scaredy, if our trash collection center charged $22 for a load, I'm afraid there would be a big jump in littering and illegal dumping. There is no charge or extra tax here for residential...it's covered in real estate taxes, like schools and fire and law enforcement are.

Kyle, I saw that liquor store robbery video and the older man interviewed...sounds like that was not the first time for return fire.

Mowing and tractor maintenance today, and a "dump" run.

/ Good morning!!!! #154,050  
Hiked nearly 12 miles on the A/T yesterday...wasn't too hot, but with no breeze it made the humidity a bit tough. Only met 1 thru-hiker...it's late to be a thru-hiker and still be in Virginia in August...a man nearly 60 YO who admittedly was making slow progress...was planning on taking the train from Harper's Ferry to Maine, then starting hiking back south, since Katahdin would be closed before he could get there by foot...this is a practice called flip-flopping.