New 4052m Hydraulic temp light.

/ New 4052m Hydraulic temp light. #1  

Isadream

Tractor
JD 4052m
Hi bought a new 4052m and the hydraulic oil temp light comes on after about 2 hours of bushhogging.. Dealer picked up and is saying that this is a computer glitch that is making the light come on when the tractor reaches "normal operating temp". They said JD is aware of the issue and working on a fix and that its not really overheating so keep running it.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? Also, is it normal for it to take 2 hours for a tractors hydraulic oil to reach "normal operating temp"?

We had also used a temp gun to shoot the rear end of the tractor and it was reading approx 215 degrees. This seems very hot to me but I am not familiar with the normal temps of a John Deere. Tractor has the hydro trans in it.

Obviously, we are very concerned as we have no way of knowing if its truly overheating and causing internal damage.

Any thoughts appreciated.

/ New 4052m Hydraulic temp light. #2  
I think you're going to need to trust the dealer on their assessment. My previous Kubota hst would get close to 200 degrees when worked hard, and I was never able to get an ironclad answer as to what was too hot.
Various discussions here would seem to indicate that 180-200+ is not unusual across all tractor brands.
You could always add a secondary cooler for the hydraulic oil.
I certainly understand your concern

/ New 4052m Hydraulic temp light. #3  
They said JD is aware of the issue and working on a fix and that its not really overheating so keep running it.

As long as you have dealer documentation, then I'd also just keep running it.
But let the dealer know that you expect a computer fix to be forthcoming soon w/o paying for transporting to the dealer.

/ New 4052m Hydraulic temp light. #4  
This is why people buy new, so you dont have to worry about these issues... If the dealer says run it, run it.... Make sue you get it in writing.... And they should be responsible for all associated costs to include transpo to dealer etc

/ New 4052m Hydraulic temp light. #5  
If it were my tractor I would be very concerned, 215 hyd temp that oil is going to be too thin to protect hyd components. What size brush hog are you running and at what speed are you traveling? What’s the air temperature? Have you tried running at a slower mph to see if temp warning still comes on? Ask the dealer what oil temp the sensor sends the warning. I’m inclined to believe the warning sensor is correct

/ New 4052m Hydraulic temp light.
If it were my tractor I would be very concerned, 215 hyd temp that oil is going to be too thin to protect hyd components. What size brush hog are you running and at what speed are you traveling? What’s the air temperature? Have you tried running at a slower mph to see if temp warning still comes on? Ask the dealer what oil temp the sensor sends the warning. I’m inclined to believe the warning sensor is correct
its a 6 foot bush hog and not sure of the actual speed but we are in A Range with it. Air temp is around 85ish. Dealer says its a computer issue that the computer thinks the oil is hot when it reaches normal operating temp. My thing, is that it takes it 2 hours to trigger and that seems like a very long time for something to hit "normal" operating temp. Most of the post I see from others about overheating hydraulic oil, most seem to get the warning light at about that 2 hour mark so that is making me think this tractor is overheating.

As to the "fix", there currently is not a fix and they said one should be available soon but would not give a time line. Makes me think I am paying for a tractor with a non repairable issue.

This is why people buy new, so you dont have to worry about these issues... If the dealer says run it, run it.... Make sue you get it in writing.... And they should be responsible for all associated costs to include transpo to dealer etc
Exactly why we bought new. We wanted a machine that we did not have issues with.

/ New 4052m Hydraulic temp light. #8  
So have you still been using the tractor and brush hog? Be interesting to know what the temp gun reads on rear end when doing other less strenuous tractor chores? Was that 215 reading taken right at the time the the warning light flashed? If you can see the temp sensor might be interesting to get a reading right there, I’d be real interested in what temp that sensor sends warning and if in fact you’re oil is surpassing that number. There’s a reason they picked that temperature 🤓 . Hopefully it gets fixed quickly, be nice if it just needed a bigger oil cooler. 😀

We just ran the tractor again yesterday. We measured it 4 different times, Starting 5 mins to the 2 hour time frame, checking and recording the time until the light came on. We also measured the temp of the filter and shot the hydraulic line. The light did not trigger until all of those things were reading 200 or higher. At that time, that rear end had made it up to 228.

As far as using it for something less strenuous, I am not sure what I can use it for that I need done at this point. it was bought to mow with and we very rarely use the tiller or the disc and not sure that we would be able to even find enough to run it for the 2 hours. We do grade our driveway but again, that doesn't need to be done right now. I do need to dig a couple of holes but that is not going to take 2 hours. Any suggestions would be great.

/ New 4052m Hydraulic temp light. #10  
Wow that’s too hot, I like the fact you’re running accurate tests and recording results, what I would be doing. I think you’re temp sensor warning is correct at about 200 degrees. I’ve read anything over 180 is getting into the danger zone. Have you ever checked the transmission/oil temperature when just driving the tractor in a high range? I’d like to think that wouldn’t overheat it. Is this a known issue with this model? All I can say is I feel for ya, I’d be more than a little upset if I dropped that kind of coin and basically shouldn’t use it without risking further damage. See what Deere does at this stage but I’m thinking that falls under not fit for purpose at this point.