New Pioneer 520 Arrived

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #101  
I signed up. At least the guys there are honest about trying to spend your money, lol

That said, I know I’m going with larger wheels/tire and suspension (either WE or Elka)

Mike

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #102  
Oh, they will spend it, alright!
There is a lot of knowledge there, and the guys are really helpful. Have fun with the mods!

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #103  
I’m considering adding taller tires. I’m not looking for mud tires since most of my driving is around the property and on trails. I’d like to get 27’s or maybe 28’s if they’d fit. However, I would like to maintain the width if at all possible. Anyone have any suggestions?

Mike
I only have about 500 miles on the Tusk Megabite radial tires.
But I like them so far.
Haven't had the chance to see how they do in the snow yet.

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #104  
I signed up. At least the guys there are honest about trying to spend your money, lol

That said, I know I’m going with larger wheels/tire and suspension (either WE or Elka)

Mike
Rdrcr,

Just thought about one other thing.
Maybe you are aware but for anyone looking here, tire weight/size is going to have some negative affect on torque and take off speed. Some may not matter and maybe it doesn't. I don't know how the 520 is set up but it was hotly debated with our 700's. Honestly, I think weight would be more concerning for me as you are trying to get that much more weight and mass moving from zero. I wouldn't let this talk you out of doing it. I think you will be pleased but if you have 2 tires and can't decide then this might help you make that choice.

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #105  
^^^^
Much appreciated, thank you.

I think the 520 has plenty of torque in first gear. I don’t mind giving up some power and take off speed in first. It would be a shame, however, if I could no longer do donuts, lol

My biggest complaint with this machine is the gearing. The gearing is too low…it would be great if it had 6 forward gears…or slightly higher gearing.

Mike

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #106  
I run 27x9 and 27x11 Tusk Terrabite radials on my 2015 Pioneer 500. It was a great upgrade! The radial tires ride much better than the stock bias ply tires. The 27" size looks like it belongs on the P5 and I did not notice much of a power difference at all. These machines do not boast huge power ratings but their gearing is so low it really doesn't matter (not for 27" anyway).

IMG_9866.jpg

I would say the Tusk Terrabite's are the second best thing I've done to my P5 because the Elka Stage 1 shocks has been my favorite upgrade! They really help the limited 5" of travel improve ride quality and rebound.

IMG_2132.jpg
IMG_2136.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #107  
^^^^
So, the question is...would you purchase and install the suspension first? Or, the 27" wheel/tires?

Mike

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #108  
^^^^
So, the question is...would you purchase and install the suspension first? Or, the 27" wheel/tires?

Mike
Good question! If the budget is tight I would do the tires first. Plus, tires are readily available and the shocks will take ~8-12 weeks last I heard. Both are a big improvement though

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #109  
Well, I bought the GPS Wednesday....and the lady will get pissed if I buy everything all at once, lol.

So, I was planning buying either the wheel/tires or the suspension next month and the other item, the month afterwards.
I don't NEED anything immediately, just want to maximize my enjoyment.

We both noted on the last adventure that the suspension is quite unforgiving. So, I was thinking maybe springing for the suspension first, then go for the wheels/tires since they're readily available.

Mike

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #110  
Sounds like you have a good plan.
Time flies and you will have it all soon enough.

BTW, I got $400 for my OEM tires/wheels and they sold pretty quickly-someone with a smaller ATV wanting to upgrade his ride. That might take some sting out of the project cost.

I kept mine for about a year thinking I might use them for some reason but I never needed them as the terribites were so much better. And tire repair kit takes up a lot less space than a spare tire.