year-round fabric cover for more delicate tools/implements

/ year-round fabric cover for more delicate tools/implements #11  
Looking to make a cover for my sawmill and a few other less-weatherproof tools** which at least for a the next several years will be stored outside.

I've tried tarps, but:
  1. with the relatively harsh & consistent sun we get they degrade faster than i'd like
  2. because they are fully waterproof (not breathable like ~sunbrella), pinhole leaks and/or moisture from the ground seems to collect inside, leading to the surface rust i'm trying to avoid.
  3. it's in full view, at least until we can finish our permanent house, and the wife would greatly appreciate if it looks "nice" for what it is.
I've made covers for some similar (but much smaller) things outside out of awning fabric (Sunbrella), which is great - decade+ in full sun, very waterproof but also has some air-permeability so nothing rusts under it. But it's expensive at $25+/yard, and it's realtively thin so i'd have to double it up many places with ~sharp edges.

Any ideas for something "very water repellant" UV-resistant, and durable, but cheaper?

**If i find a fabric i like, i'll probably also make it for my BH, as I only use it a couple times a year and it lives outside otherwise as I have no space left in my barn. It should survive fine outside, i suppose, but i'd feel better keeping it covered.
I like to wash my stuff and spray on either a spray wax or armorall on them to reduce the surface rust and dry rot on the plastic parts. I do that twice a year depending on use, it seems to work.

/ year-round fabric cover for more delicate tools/implements #13  
All I know is, I have over 20 years on my clearspan fabric covered truss arch building and it's as good as the day we erected in. Very good investment in what is considered a portable building, not that I'd ever move it as it's 85 feet long x 45 feet wide and 16 feet high at the top. You can see it in the background in this picture. Has a 12 x 14 foot high roll up door at one end and a man door at the other. Inside picture as well..

Attachments

• 100_0013 (1).JPG
    100_0013 (1).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 155
  • 100_0008.JPG
    100_0008.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 152
   / year-round fabric cover for more delicate tools/implements #15  
They do sell heavy poly uv resistant tarps. We've had good luck getting 5 years of being outdoors with them.

I have been using 1 for 3 years and only a few eyelets are damaged the tarp still looks new it does a great job

/ year-round fabric cover for more delicate tools/implements #16  
   / year-round fabric cover for more delicate tools/implements #19  
I should add, the more mils your tarp is the stiffer and more wind resistant it is. If you buy ones that are thicker, uv resistant they will last a while.

/ year-round fabric cover for more delicate tools/implements #20  
This has served me for 7 years so far......in winds (max gusts of 70 mph), wet snows up to 8 inches and lots of sunshine. The cover itself was about $1800 and more expenses for gravel and timbers etc. It is the top of the ShelterLogic line 12 x 24 x 8.
Cheers,
Mike

Attachments

• 962.JPG
    962.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 96
  • 2366.JPG
    2366.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 94