year-round fabric cover for more delicate tools/implements

/ year-round fabric cover for more delicate tools/implements #31  
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0854BJLV3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I doubled the edge of the tarp prior to installing the eyelets, one every 5 feet or so.
If you were taking it on and off frequently, and had to tie on, you'd want them more often.
The distributor will even roll cord in the edges if you need that.

How do the grommets hold up over time, distortion and rust for instance? Any tricks to getting square secure grommets with it?

Some of the reviews claim they rust quickly and don't always install square. Last part is probably operator error.

/ year-round fabric cover for more delicate tools/implements #32  
Only problem I had was one side dropping out before I closed it.
Not rusty, but only been in there since October.

/ year-round fabric cover for more delicate tools/implements #33  
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0854BJLV3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I doubled the edge of the tarp prior to installing the eyelets, one every 5 feet or so.
If you were taking it on and off frequently, and had to tie on, you'd want them more often.
The distributor will even roll cord in the edges if you need that.
A lot of the comments say the grommets rust easily. Did you find that to be so? Are there stainless grommets that will work with this tool?

/ year-round fabric cover for more delicate tools/implements #34  
I expect that Amazon grommet tool uses standard grommets. A 3/8" opening grommet would be #2. At least the photos of the tool in question has the same kind of dies that my grommet tool does. You can get brass, nickle plated brass, aluminum, and stainless grommets through McMaster. I've used the brass from them with no real issues. The tarps have given up before the grommets.
I should add that I always prepunch holes...

/ year-round fabric cover for more delicate tools/implements #35  
Sailrite has grommets/fabric hardware for boats in saltwater environment. hold up great.

/ year-round fabric cover for more delicate tools/implements #36  
Looking to make a cover for my sawmill and a few other less-weatherproof tools** which at least for a the next several years will be stored outside.
Nox Vidmate VLC
I've tried tarps, but:
  1. with the relatively harsh & consistent sun we get they degrade faster than i'd like
  2. because they are fully waterproof (not breathable like ~sunbrella), pinhole leaks and/or moisture from the ground seems to collect inside, leading to the surface rust i'm trying to avoid.
  3. it's in full view, at least until we can finish our permanent house, and the wife would greatly appreciate if it looks "nice" for what it is.
I've made covers for some similar (but much smaller) things outside out of awning fabric (Sunbrella), which is great - decade+ in full sun, very waterproof but also has some air-permeability so nothing rusts under it. But it's expensive at $25+/yard, and it's realtively thin so i'd have to double it up many places with ~sharp edges.

Any ideas for something "very water repellant" UV-resistant, and durable, but cheaper?

**If i find a fabric i like, i'll probably also make it for my BH, as I only use it a couple times a year and it lives outside otherwise as I have no space left in my barn. It should survive fine outside, i suppose, but i'd feel better keeping it covered.
I have a hoop barn with a tarp cover and even when its closed up relatively tight, a cool night followed by a warm humid morning leaves some condensation.

Last edited:
   / year-round fabric cover for more delicate tools/implements #37  
I have vehicles in two of these and both have lasted about 10 years....

View attachment 762293
We had one of that looked identical to that. Purchased at Costco. Lasted 2 or 3 years until the fabric got so brittle from the sun that it just started falling to pieces.

/ year-round fabric cover for more delicate tools/implements #38  
Seems like tent of non woven geotextile/cowcarpet might work.