Backhoe Vs. 12000 LB Mini EX

/ Backhoe Vs. 12000 LB Mini EX #21  
4570man,

Your spot on regarding the SSQA trencher run from PTO hydraulic system and is sole reason my longer term project is finding method to route existing very suitable pump flow capacity to the FEL via a mechanical valve. I foolishly did not buy the 3 point hitch PTO driven 48" six wide trencher in late 2020 when it was in stock and $7K. Now they are 9-11K for Bradco or Virnig and 6 months delivery. I don't buy stuff when price is ludicrous. We will respecfully agree to disagree on some of the other points.

The skid steer and mini of the same weight class will outperform the M59 by a noticeable margin in brute force not even considering productivity. My M59 would lift a 3600 pound bundle of plywood on the forks but it was absolutely done with that. It wouldn’t even consider lifting a 4400 pound bundle of shingles. And when you were pushing it to the limit like that you could tell it really wasn’t built to endure that everyday. My SVL75 will lift the 4400 pound of shingles. I have less factual information to support the mini x being stronger than the backhoe but when you’re digging side by side with a 3ft bucket you can tell a noticeable difference. The mini and skid steer have much heavier duty booms boom mounts and cylinders mounts than the M59 does.

/ Backhoe Vs. 12000 LB Mini EX #22  
One advantage to a rubber tired hoe is it can be roaded, no trailer needed at times.
I have done a half mile on the road with M59 but that is the limit. Too many crazy drivers in the NC hills.

/ Backhoe Vs. 12000 LB Mini EX #23  
I have done a half mile on the road with M59 but that is the limit. Too many crazy drivers in the NC hills.
I've done 9 miles when I rented a big NH hoe a few years ago was cheaper then delivery, and that was twisty hilly NY rural roads.
Often do 2-5 miles with farm tractors and wagons.
Also in this state depending on the law enforcement if the GVW rateings of your combined vehicle is over 26,000 pounds or if just your trailer is over 10,000 gvw CDL is required unless you are running farm tags on the truck.

/ Backhoe Vs. 12000 LB Mini EX #24  
I've done 9 miles when I rented a big NH hoe a few years ago was cheaper then delivery, and that was twisty hilly NY rural roads.
Often do 2-5 miles with farm tractors and wagons.
Also in this state depending on the law enforcement if the GVW rateings of your combined vehicle is over 26,000 pounds or if just your trailer is over 10,000 gvw CDL is required unless you are running farm tags on the truck.
Love those "farm tags". Can get away with almost anything. I once worked with guy in CT, where farm tags allowed a vehicle to be anywhere within a 50 mile radius of the 100 acre farm, who ran a land clearing business and every piece of equipment had farm tags. This included a cat 385 feller buncher ( 185K Lb machine ) that would clear a heavily wooded acre per hour. A rolling bed aluminum 53 foot trailer receiving chip from a chipper with a 12 foot wide belt that was 45 feet long. The feller buncher would cut a group of trees and lay the bundle on the ground, a second Cat 325 ( 57K + lbs ) would pick each tree up and lay the entire 60-80 foot tree on the belt and the chipper, capable of eating everything up to 40 inches, just chewed it up and spit it into the rolling bed trailer without any hesitation or slowing down of the feed rate. If the wood was worthy of selling fire wood then it was set aside, otherwise it got chipped. He sold firewood on the side and had 3,000 cord on the lot at all times, 1000 dried and ready for sale, a 1000 a year old and 1000 green needing curing. Everything had farm tags. The feller buncher and the rolling bed chipper were each million dollar machines. All state tax free.

I watched the feller buncher cut a tree that was 6-7 feet across at the base. He cut halfway thru and then went around the opposite side and cut the remaining half and laid the tree down onto the ground. Did not drop the tree, he laid it down while holding it with the Cat 385.

We all on TBN are just playing with toys!!

/ Backhoe Vs. 12000 LB Mini EX
OK follow up question:

I get that differnt soils mean differnt job lenghs but just pretend you are digging in the soil your used to and would expect in your area

Time To dig a typical 1200 sq foot basement 8 ft below grade with a 5 ton mini and skidsteer (one operator)

Vs time to dig the same basement with a 100 hp backhoe?

/ Backhoe Vs. 12000 LB Mini EX #26  
That about 356 CY.
  • One medium excavator (Cat 315 size): 1/2 day.
  • The mini (E60) and skidsteer: 1 good day (8+hours)
  • Backhoe: 1.5 to 2 days
All on competent ground, no wet conditions, experience operator. But..

You could make a ramp and get the skidsteer at the bottom and fine grade. You could also fine grade the exterior after backfilling. Backfilling with the mini equipment offsets capacity with agility. I've also worked with landscapers who could fine grade with the mini blade and do a great job.

/ Backhoe Vs. 12000 LB Mini EX #27  
A backhoe still can move dirt a short distance. A small mini ex is great for water lines. Not as much for stumps. As far as hauling, you can over load a 3/4 ton real fast. I had a 3/4 with a 14k trailer. Could only pull about 12,500 legal.
I have tipped the scales many times over 50,000 lbs with a regular cab 3/4 ton and a gooseneck trailer.

/ Backhoe Vs. 12000 LB Mini EX #28  
The biggest appeal to a backhoe is you don’t have to buy a mini x and a skid steer. Since you already have a skid steer get the mini x no question.
Yeah, but a big ole slushy backhoe is hard to get around houses and in yards.

/ Backhoe Vs. 12000 LB Mini EX #29  
OK follow up question:

I get that differnt soils mean differnt job lenghs but just pretend you are digging in the soil your used to and would expect in your area

Time To dig a typical 1200 sq foot basement 8 ft below grade with a 5 ton mini and skidsteer (one operator)

Vs time to dig the same basement with a 100 hp backhoe?

A full-size backhoe is probably going to beat the 5 ton mini at that job for the simple reason the bucket is twice if not 3 times as big. It’s hard to overcome that loss. If you put something more comparable in its weight class like a 80 or 120 hoe the excavator will win. The 5 ton mini vs a M59 and the mini will do the job twice as fast. Here’s my full size Deere backhoe buckets vs my KX40 bucket. I have a 3 foot bucket for the mini that’s not pictured but you can see how much deeper the backhoe bucket is.

Attachments

• IMG_2848.JPG
    IMG_2848.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 74
   / Backhoe Vs. 12000 LB Mini EX #30  
4570man,

Left to R in your post, based on tooth count looks like 12", 12" 24" ( that has been playing with wet concrete ), and a 30" ( the Deere ). Not a fair comparison if your comparing the 30" to the shallow 24". I cant find struck volume for the 30" Deere but my guess is 6 cubic feet.

I run KX series quick attach buckets on the the M59. Pic of 24" (L) with struck volume 3.9 cubic feet and 30" struck of 5.9 cubic feet. The 24" below looks much deeper than the 5 tooth bucket in your reply.

1663271768469.png
1663271947918.png