My Brothers Estate

/ My Brothers Estate
His laptop has a four digit code to get into it. I tried a few numbers based on his birthday and phone numbers without any luck.

/ My Brothers Estate #53  
   / My Brothers Estate #54  
Re: Soc Sec: The monthly payments lag by a month. So for example, if someone died in November, they should still get a check for Nov & Dec.

/ My Brothers Estate
I just read through the list of most common numbers used, and the one I use for my computer isn't on it, but I'm off by only one number!!!

/ My Brothers Estate #56  
Watch his mail. Once he starts missing payments overdue notices arrive and you can get a decent handle on who he owes. You might get bank statements if they still mail them. Similarly, try to get on the good side of someone at his bank; this isn't easy before he passes, but after he expires if you're the executor/administrator/whatever title the bank can get helpful. Once you get a handle on where his money goes you're halfway home. Yes, you can negotiate with his debtors, especially on unsecured loans. Fifty cents on the dollar is a lot better than nothing on the dollar.
Everybody notifies the government when someone dies. Hospitals tell Medicare, S.S., board of elections, and the state. Funeral directors get in on it too.

/ My Brothers Estate #57  
He should get his govt. checks for the month of his passing, but then I'd notify the social security administration of his death to stop payments rather than have a reimbursement problem if the truck payment gets paid from funds that are supposed to go back to social security.

I'm guessing there is a slip of paper somewhere that has the passwords to the safe and computer. Or the computer may have a fingerprint reader. Computer codes may also be letters or combinations of letters, numbers, etc.

You could pull the drive, attach a cable and try to read the contents using Linux if you don't find the password.

On the surface, he doesn't sound like the type who would keep many records on his computer unless he is getting electronic statements from the bank. His checking account payments may tell you who he owes if not how much he owes.

Texas will have its own specific rules for intestate estates and dealing with creditors. I don't know those rules and won't muddy the thread with guesses about what those rules might be.

/ My Brothers Estate #58  
My brother in law just passed in New Mexico and I had to help deal with his estate. We had to notify SS that he had passed, and provide them with Death Certificate. They made it clear that if they had made any payments after his death, they would be getting them back.
We were told to get 20 death certificates, ended up only needing 2. Most everybody who needed one just made a copy or just looked at it and handed it back.

/ My Brothers Estate
   / My Brothers Estate #60  
Eddie - sorry to hear of your troubles.
As far as the windoze password goes there are a bunch of bootable Linux programs that should let one in easily.
Just Google "bootable linux for windows password recovery".
I'd recommend you contact a local high school/community college and see if they have any geeks that would do it.
I had to break into one of my windows 10 machines last year, I used "Rufus".