New tractor help

/ New tractor help #1  

MCFD120

Tractor
Jd 4030
Good morning everyone I’m new to the forum so I look forward to reading all the good information on here so thanks for having me! So my question is this me and my wife are looking to buy another tractor something big enough to run all our hay equipment and pull our Woods B320 20ft batwing. Hay equipment wise we just run a 10ft disc mower v-rake and a Vermeer 504R roller. We would also like to feed with this tractor as well in the winter so 4wd is a must we live in Kentucky so once winter hits it gets a little sporty here lol also Cab and a loader would be a must as well we’ve got a JD 4030 and love it so I’d like to stay green maybe a 64 series tractor? anything to get us in the right direction helps thank you all!

/ New tractor help #2  
Can't help with green but I've got an orange M4D with 75hp and it would do the jobs you're talking about but a little more HP would be nice in hilly terrain. I use it with a 9.5' disc mower on a caddy for cutting hay and it does fine but I have to shift down/slow down on inclines (mower is 2.1k and caddy is 4k so it's heavy). It doesn't feel my 21' v rake or inline small square baler. Don't think it would do well with a 20' batwing, so 64 series green machine is probably as small as I'd go.

/ New tractor help #3  
You might want to look at the recommended HP for those implements and add few to that for the hilly area. Guys farming our hay land are running from about 75 hp to about 125. Why that variance, they buy most tractors used. Flat land.

/ New tractor help #4  
see if you can find a good used pre emissions tractor so you won't have those headaches to deal with

/ New tractor help #5  
Most people seem to be running a 125hp green machine or more to pull a 20 foot cutter.
They are heavy.

/ New tractor help #6  
   / New tractor help #8  
Didn't Allis Chambers and Deutz become one several years ago? Maybe Deutz bought them, old memory working here.

Years ago I worked for a heavy equipment manufacturer, and we used some Deutz engines for Dupont mainly. Was very quiet compared to Detroit, Cummins and for certain Cat. Low, low torque in the engine model we use. That was about 40 years ago.

/ New tractor help #9  

willy

/ New tractor help #10  
Good morning everyone I’m new to the forum so I look forward to reading all the good information on here so thanks for having me! So my question is this me and my wife are looking to buy another tractor something big enough to run all our hay equipment and pull our Woods B320 20ft batwing. Hay equipment wise we just run a 10ft disc mower v-rake and a Vermeer 504R roller. We would also like to feed with this tractor as well in the winter so 4wd is a must we live in Kentucky so once winter hits it gets a little sporty here lol also Cab and a loader would be a must as well we’ve got a JD 4030 and love it so I’d like to stay green maybe a 64 series tractor? anything to get us in the right direction helps thank you all!

Your 4030 makes right around 100 HP, so if it does a decent job running your equipment, just get something in that size range. You start to see MFWD units in that size showing up in the 50 and 55 series (e.g. 4050, 4055), but in general you would need to look at a 6000 series machine to see very many with MFWD. A 6400 as you mentioned would work, as would its successors the 6410, 6420, 6330, or the 6100D, 6105D, 6100E, or 6105M units that came later. One of the earlier small-frame rowcrops like the 7200, 7400, 7210, or 7220 would be in that same power range as well and would be considered the direct descendants of your 4030.

The batwing would probably be the toughest thing you mentioned pulling as the other equipment can be run on a 75 HP tractor. Most of the people using 20' batwings use a tractor of at least 120 HP or so.