Common sayings that are wrong or butchered

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #21  
Seen recently here on TBN....mute point. It is a moot point. The root meaning is it is a point that could be argued ad infinitum. Since there is no point in arguing such a point, it is said to be moot.

Further reading for those unfamiliar...

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #22  
"Called on the Carpet," is to be summoned by your King/Queen, to face questions, and to answer with consequence.

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #24  
Cause "Called to the Carpet," means nothing now.

WASHINGTON – Stephen K. Bannon was sentenced today to four months of incarceration and ordered to pay a fine of $6,500 on two counts of contempt of Congress stemming from his failure to comply with a subpoena issued by the House Select Committee investigating the Jan. 6 breach of the United States Capitol.

:)

Last edited:
   / Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #25  
"He could of won" or the like instead of could have. I think it comes from the verbal shortening of "have" that is common in speech to "could uv" which of course is really "could've" but when you say it out loud it comes off more like "of". Somewhat related - There is also a brain teaser that asks you to count the number of F's in a short passage and many people miss the F in of and a couple other words since it sounds like V when you say it.

And the Literally vs Figuratively that was noted above is another very common one. People literally don't get that they should be using figuratively instead!

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #26  
I'm thinking the confusion must have begat the more modern "arse over teakettle"
The original 14th Century wording of "Head over Heels," was "Heels over Head;" as in being so excited that one would do a cartwheel or somersault. Somehow the wording got switched by writers in the 19th century. And we have been using it incorrectly ever since.

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #27  
We have been doing the pledge of Allegiance incorrectly since 1954. In its original. the first bit goes: "I pledge allegiance to my Flag and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all." You may note somethings that were added later.

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #28  
Bless your heart. It can have several meanings, especially to southerners :ROFLMAO:
To clarify.

BEF3A67A-AB2F-4284-964F-55EF7447BDDD.png

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #29  
We have been doing the pledge of Allegiance incorrectly since 1954. In its original. the first bit goes: "I pledge allegiance to my Flag and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all." You may note somethings that were added later.

It was changed, so the old way would now be wrong.

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #30  
Hand over heart was one late change. This is how I did it at school post WWII. We must have been late for the change.

Students_pledging_allegiance_to_the_American_flag_with_the_Bellamy_salute.jpg Bellamy_salute_1915.jpg

Bruce