Round Bale Weights?

/ Round Bale Weights? #1  

BurningBushFarm

Silver Member
Tractor
YM2000D
What are the weights for the various round bale sizes? Ball park / averages? Specifically 4x4 and 4x5s (We can't handle the big ones.) As we all know here hay prices have doubled (in my area, southeast Appalacians) and diesel is insane, but I am trying to work out comparison with small squares and the smaller rounds.

Thanks.

/ Round Bale Weights? #2  
Here is one chart:

round-bale weight.jpg

/ Round Bale Weights? #3  
That is a hard one and all depends on the density setting on the round bailer as most modern RB's are adjustable density, at least mine is. Diesel is insane everywhere and is only going to get worse, not better. Not just diesel either. Inputs are outta sight, especially nitrogen based fertilizer.

/ Round Bale Weights? #4  
There are many variables to round bale weights such as type of crop(legume or grass), brand/type of rd baler, moisture content of hay when baled, capability of baler operator. I've seen 4X5 rd bales advertised for sale @ 1500#s that I'd want to witness those supposedly 1500# bales being weighted on a scale. It's difficult to make a 4X5 rd grass bale that will test below 15% moisture that will weigh over 1000#s. I think some of the newer rd balers will make heavier bales than my '05 rd baler.

/ Round Bale Weights? #5  
There are many variables to round bale weights such as type of crop(legume or grass), brand/type of rd baler, moisture content of hay when baled, capability of baler operator. I've seen 4X5 rd bales advertised for sale @ 1500#s that I'd want to witness those supposedly 1500# bales being weighted on a scale. It's difficult to make a 4X5 rd grass bale that will test below 15% moisture that will weigh over 1000#s. I think some of the newer rd balers will make heavier bales than my '05 rd baler.
Jim... What is with the new member deal? You certainly aren't a new member...

/ Round Bale Weights? #6  
Well several months back I got logged out from this forum & my password wouldn't function to log me in. I attempted contacting moderators several times via emails with no success. So I registered under a different handle. After several posts site moderator(Mohammed) contacted me & stated he would combine my post of new & old handle to my old handle so I agreed. It was several post later I noticed the term "new member" but I didn't bother trying to get it changed. It's been several months since this happened. It doesn't bother me that I'm classified as a "new member with 9760 posts".

/ Round Bale Weights? #8  
I found the most common weight to be about 950lbs. The pressure setting and moisture level were the biggest determining factors in my round baling operation.

/ Round Bale Weights? #9  
Well several months back I got logged out from this forum & my password wouldn't function to log me in. I attempted contacting moderators several times via emails with no success. So I registered under a different handle. After several posts site moderator(Mohammed) contacted me & stated he would combine my post of new & old handle to my old handle so I agreed. It was several post later I noticed the term "new member" but I didn't bother trying to get it changed. It's been several months since this happened. It doesn't bother me that I'm classified as a "new member with 9760 posts".

Jim,

We all know who you are! Glad you made it back, because this site is better with you here as much as possible.
We can’t go losing a fellow farmer!

/ Round Bale Weights? #10  
Jim,

We all know who you are! Glad you made it back, because this site is better with you here as much as possible.
We can’t go losing a fellow farmer!
Thank you for your kind remarks. I checked my PM box & it was Nov 7,2021 when I sent a PM to TBN moderators about my site log-in problem. As I age my being referred to as a farmer is dwindling rapidly due to my on going nerve damage. Oh well life & God have been very good to me.
Jim